What's new

Do You Guys like 40 S&W as a caliber?

The .40 S&W is inarguably a terrific self defense round with an excellent track record in its (relatively) short lifetime. I don't understand why people are fleeing from it now just because some law enforcement agencies have gone back to the 9mm. I never succumbed to the .40's siren song mainly because I didn't want to invest in another set of dies, another powder, etc. But I've shot it a lot (my best friend has two of 'em) and I wouldn't have any problem whatsoever having a .40 as my primary carry or home defense gun.

The .40 S&W is inarguably a terrific self defense round with an excellent track record in its (relatively) short lifetime. I don't understand why people are fleeing from it now just because some law enforcement agencies have gone back to the 9mm. I never succumbed to the .40's siren song mainly because I didn't want to invest in another set of dies, another powder, etc. But I've shot it a lot (my best friend has two of 'em) and I wouldn't have any problem whatsoever having a .40 as my primary carry or home defense gun.
I have a suspicion that the 40 is being overshadowed by the 9mm, probably because of ammo cost, report, and recoil. I've been shooting since I was six years old and unless the gun literally beats me up, I don't really notice recoil. The 9 is hyped quite a bit and I will admit, it's fun to shoot.
I prefer the Super over the 9 because I am both a crumdegon, and because of the performance I can wring out of the Super with handloads. It is well known that expansion with hollow point bullets becomes somewhat unreliable below 1,100 fps. Some of the modern offerings seem to have mitigated this shortcoming to some degree, but a hollow point is still depending on a semi fluid material filling the cavity so impact force can act upon said fluid and deform the bullet via hydraulic pressure. Velocity is a key element in this interaction, and the Super is out in front with velocities nearing 1,500 fps.
When I look at the 40 objectively (as objectively as I can), the numbers tell an impressive tale. Energy transfer is a product of the frontal area of the bullet. This axiom was developed in Africa by the white hunters of the late 19th and early 20th centuries and luminaries such as John [Pondoro] Taylor and Harry Selby said as much, more than once. While they often criticized small, high speed bullets, they trusted their life to to the momentum of bullets having great mass and large frontal areas.
Most handgun rounds aren't really all that powerful, so efficient use of the available power is critical. Ideally, we want enough velocity for expansion without over penetration, while having enough bullet weight and frontal area for optimum energy transfer. It is also important to remember that all the energy used to deform the bullet did not get dumped in to the target. That energy went in to the bullet.
As Okiestubble noted, finding a bullet in the off side clothing of a 'shootee' is as close to perfect as it can get. For this to happen, The bullet had to possess enough momentium (mass X velocity) to provide adequate energy transfer, while still carrying enough energy to upset the projectile. This nuance is important and maintaining that balance isn't an accident.

The 40 has an adequate frontal area for energy transfer, and sufficient momentum/energy for penetration as well as bullet upset. When the bullet is fully deformed and found in the clothing on the far side of the target subject, I just don't see how one could ask for more.

I love the Super and the 45. I own a couple of 40s/10s and a few 9s. All that being said, I am a retired engineer and I have to face the numbers, even when they aren't from the girl I brought to the dance.

Bill.

I have a suspicion that the 40 is being overshadowed by the 9mm, probably because of ammo cost, report, and recoil. I've been shooting since I was six years old and unless the gun literally beats me up, I don't really notice recoil. The 9 is hyped quite a bit and I will admit, it's fun to shoot.
I prefer the Super over the 9 because I am both a crumdegon, and because of the performance I can wring out of the Super with handloads. It is well known that expansion with hollow point bullets becomes somewhat unreliable below 1,100 fps. Some of the modern offerings seem to have mitigated this shortcoming to some degree, but a hollow point is still depending on a semi fluid material filling the cavity so impact force can act upon said fluid and deform the bullet via hydraulic pressure. Velocity is a key element in this interaction, and the Super is out in front with velocities nearing 1,500 fps.
When I look at the 40 objectively (as objectively as I can), the numbers tell an impressive tale. Energy transfer is a product of the frontal area of the bullet. This axiom was developed in Africa by the white hunters of the late 19th and early 20th centuries and luminaries such as John [Pondoro] Taylor and Harry Selby said as much, more than once. While they often criticized small, high speed bullets, they trusted their life to to the momentum of bullets having great mass and large frontal areas.
Most handgun rounds aren't really all that powerful, so efficient use of the available power is critical. Ideally, we want enough velocity for expansion without over penetration, while having enough bullet weight and frontal area for optimum energy transfer. It is also important to remember that all the energy used to deform the bullet did not get dumped in to the target. That energy went in to the bullet.
As Okiestubble noted, finding a bullet in the off side clothing of a 'shootee' is as close to perfect as it can get. For this to happen, The bullet had to possess enough momentium (mass X velocity) to provide adequate energy transfer, while still carrying enough energy to upset the projectile. This nuance is important and maintaining that balance isn't an accident.

The 40 has an adequate frontal area for energy transfer, and sufficient momentum/energy for penetration as well as bullet upset. When the bullet is fully deformed and found in the clothing on the far side of the target subject, I just don't see how one could ask for more.

I love the Super and the 45. I own a couple of 40s/10s and a few 9s. All that being said, I am a retired engineer and I have to face the numbers, even when they aren't from the girl I brought to the dance.

Bill.
The terminal ballistics, etc. are really impressive.
Guns/calibers are like so many other things in today's world: subject to fads.
I started out 40 years ago as a .45 ACP guy and have never abandoned it but also realize the advantages of more rounds in a similar-sized package so for carry, I usually tote a 9mm.
I'm not in the market anymore for firearms as I have more than I need and also have a tight budget. But there are a lot of deals out there on used and even new .40 S&W handguns and if I were in the market, I'd snap one up in a minute. I don't find the recoil punishing at all ... but then I'm used to shooting small .45's like the old Colt Officers ACP and the Glock 36. My buddy has a Glock 23 and a Steyr M40 and they're both fantastic.
The .40 ain't dead yet and anybody who thinks it is hasn't been paying attention.

Top Bottom