What's new

Do you guys crunch on coffee beans?

Lately I can't seem to walk past my coffee bean jar without popping one or two in my mouth. If I put them on my desk at work, I think I would crunch on them all day. Anybody else do this? I did a google search, and I don't see any dire warnings about eating them. If you guys know anything, let me know.

I don't but I have seen posts from others on various sites that like to munch them so your not alone.... Well wait..I have a few times especially if I have just roasted them.

I do that sometimes, but no more than two beans at a time because I find them bitter.
There's a booze here called Sambuca, made with anise, that we often ask "con la mosca" ("with the fly in"), that means with a couple of coffee beans, which makes a good contrast between the sweet of the drink and the bitter of the coffee.

:)

I like the chocolate covered ones. Might start dipping. And no way I'm stopping at 2. 2 oz maybe.

Don't search too hard. You'll probably run into all kinds of horrible things no health nut would ever let you do in peace.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Only the chocolate covered ones. I find them perfect for long road trips where I want the caffeine jolt to keep me alert but not the "gotta find a rest room ... NOW!!" side effect of drinking the actual coffee.

I agree with the chocolate covered ones. Get a bit of caffeine, a bit of sugar, and tastes great too! With out the chocolate I don't care for them nearly as much, a bit dry and bitter for my liking.

I do all the time, I used to buy the majority of my coffee that would mainly sell their coffee in big glass containers then would dole out howevermuch you need, asked for. Eating the beans were how we tried out new roasts we had never had before. Conversely I will do that when I now buy a bag I am not that familiar with, recently got some of AJ's coffee re entry, which is superb, and eating a few beans was one of the first things I did after I unpackaged the bag.
i do like the chocolate covered deals and I will try that out next trip I take on my own. When I travel with the fam, I can drink gallons because we have to stop rather often with our wee ones.

I love crunching on coffee beans. My dad taught me to do it. When I was in college I would keep some coffee beans on my desk to help me through those all night cram sessions. It was an inexpensive and much safer alternative to the illegal substances used by other students.

Only the chocolate covered ones. I find them perfect for long road trips where I want the caffeine jolt to keep me alert but not the "gotta find a rest room ... NOW!!" side effect of drinking the actual coffee.

This, except I do it when I go snow camping. The combo chocolate and caffeine can't be beat.

-jim

When I was a kid, I used to get a few coffee beans from the dispensers at Vons and eat them just because they smelled so good. Now I just drink coffee.

I think I've told this story here before, but here goes again.

I roast my own coffee. There was a point where I used to bring it to work in little plastic baggies and brew a nice cup at my desk.

One day, as I was prepping to make a cup, I wandered into the next cube to say hi to a visiting colleague whom I hadn't seen for a while. I was imprecisely measuring out some beans for the brew.

Said colleague then asks, "Hey, whatcha doing with those beans?"

I, thinking that the question deserved some punishment, said, "Oh, you know, just eating some."

She: "Really? Eating coffee beans?!?"
Me: "Well, sure. You've heard of chocolate-covered espresso beans, right? People eat those like mad. This is the same thing, `cept I don't like the chocolate." (A lie)
She: "K. Makes sense. Let me try some."

She then took a palm full of beans (probably on order of, say, two rounded tablespoons), popped them in her mouth, and began to munch away.

She: "Ugh!!! Mark!!! This is horrible. How can you do this?"
Me: "I DON'T!!! I can't believe you would do that!"
She : (Retreats off to the water fountain and nearest ladies room)

To this day, I fear for the vengeance that she swore she would one day get.

Bev...if you're out there...sorry!!!

- Mark

Top Bottom