What's new

Do you flip the blade in a DE razor?

S

slather

I'm not talking about alternating between the two edges, but rather after 3-4 full shaves open the razor and flip the blade inside. Any benefit or harm?

After 3-4 shaves most of us toss the blade.

Blade flipping doesn't seem to do diddly to improve the shave. After all, it's still the same cutting edge.

But I have not found that to be true with the razor blade in scrapers. Turning the scraper over can make it more effective at scrapping off whatever I'm working on. But I don't think that would be true with a shaving blade because we use no pressure to shave, compared to lots of pressure on a scraper.

R

rainman

I did it when I was first DE shaving. Now I don't. Blades are cheap. No reason to try to get extra shaves out of a blade at the risk of messing up your face.

This question pops up frequently. Consensus of opinion seems to be that it doesn't help. I tried it and it didn't make any difference.

If I change razors and the blade is still within my 4 shave limit, I'll swap the blade into another razor. I'd have to agree with the others though, flipping the blade over isn't going to do anything. :001_smile :biggrin: :tongue:

I flip sometimes. Not sure i get the notion above, i.,e., "its not worth it because it's the same blade", but I'm not sure I'm getting any benefit either.

Would be nice to see a macro shot of the top and bottom of a blade that's been used 4-5 times on one side though.

I have always wondered why the edges are numbered on some DE blades. I figured it was to help the blade flippers keep track. Consequently, I have tried flipping, but I don't think it matters.

I have always wondered why the edges are numbered on some DE blades. I figured it was to help the blade flippers keep track. Consequently, I have tried flipping, but I don't think it matters.

The numbers are a manufacturing thing not intended for the user. The only known use for the consumer is they are inspiration for witty dialogue. (If only I had some....):confused1

About the only time I flip a DE and that is to rotate the blade 180 horizontally is with a Sheraton I have that is a bit wonky (dropped at some point my guess)in that it is super aggressive on one side and uber tame on the other so after 3 shaves on the one side I flip the tame edge side over to the aggressive side and go another 3 shaves.
As to flipping a blade 180 bottom to top no real advantage.

There is some serious hate on this thread for us blade flippers! The consensus seems to be that is has no effect. Whatever. I do it anyway. I take the blade out of the razor and lay it gently on its wrapper (perpendicular) to dry. Then I dry the razor. When I put the blade back in, I flip it. Why? It makes me happy. If flipping makes you happy, you should do it. If not, then ...

I flip sometimes. Not sure i get the notion above, i.,e., "its not worth it because it's the same blade", but I'm not sure I'm getting any benefit either.

Would be nice to see a macro shot of the top and bottom of a blade that's been used 4-5 times on one side though.

A DE blade is made up of two cutting edges. The cutting edge is formed by the top, and bottom planes meeting. Thus it doesn't matter how you flip/ turn the blade you still have the exact same two cutting edges. Thus according to the law of physics it is impossible for flipping the blade to have any effect whatsoever. Any perceived benefit is simply in your head.

Top Bottom