What's new

Do you clean your razor after every shave?

After every shave (usually mon-friday) I lay the piece apart after a good rinse and when I come back from work I put it back together and give it an alcohol bath and repeat. On saturday morning i give another alcohol bath an let it set in alcohol for like 5-10 mins and then scrub off the soap scum with a soft tooth brush.

I just rinse and flick. When I have to change blades, I'll use a wet toothbrush to scrub away wax and scum.

One piece razors seem to need more frequent cleaning but a toothbrush and some dish soap makes this easy.

Quick scrub with soap and toothbrush and a squirt of Isocol when changing blades, 3 shaves. Its been known to be a surgical instrument from time to time so clean and sterile can't hurt.

I love to keep my razors shiny and bright so after each shave I rinse the razor, remove the blade, spray with scrubbing bubbles then let it sit in the bubbles as I brush my teeth, rinse off again and put in the stand. Keeps them all looking new and clean. I can't imagine letting such fine instruments go uncleaned. But obviously I'm in the minority judging by the posts lol

I used to just rinse and flick but read that the blade stays sharper if you wipe it dry. I started disassembling after every shave and have found more gunk (whiskers and soap) than i would like to leave in my shiny razors

I used to just rinse and flick but read that the blade stays sharper if you wipe it dry. I started disassembling after every shave and have found more gunk (whiskers and soap) than i would like to leave in my shiny razors

You are not supposed to wipe a blade. Can possibly dull the edges

I generally just do a hot water under the faucet rinse in between strokes and at the end. After I'm finshed with my 1 pack of blades rotation, I'll soak with off boiling water, clean any scum with a tooth brush, do a 10 min barbasol soak,then do another hot rinse, then store for next rotation. Works pretty well for me.

I find that it only takes a few minutes to do, so I clean after every shave. I also find that it consumes less time in the long run. I used to just rinse, but when I would do an official cleaning, it took a much more time to get everything the way I like it. This will all depend on your water type, brand of shaving cream/soap, etc I'm sure.

I take my 3-piece apart, wipe it down and dry it with a towel after each shave.
First of all, my OCD compels me to do so. I hate dirty stuff. You should see my car.
Second, cleanings become so much easier if done regularly rather than wait for the gunk to build up.

Awesome Full Metal Jacket reference............what a classic!
Yea was thing the same thing.

I rinse and towel dry after every shave. Then shoot it with scrubbing bubbles when I change blades/ razors. I change razors when I change blades. Every 3-4 shaves. Then it gets dried off and put away. This seems to work for me, keeps them pretty shiny.

TTO's - scrub with hot water and a toothbrush with just a drop of dish soap.

3 piece - i use a towel to dry and clean the cap, plate and handle.

Both methods take less than 2 minutes. I rotate about 10 razors, so i like them to be clean and ready to use.

I know everyone at the very least rinses and flicks after a shave. I take mine apart and clean it every time and was wondering if that's really necessary. Should you break down, rinse and dry each component?

What's your norm?
I always take it apart and dry it. I use a dry facecloth every morning that stays beside my sink. When done rinsing the brush and drying the bowl, I take my razor apart and place the handle and plates at the bottom of the cloth. The blade is then rinsed with hot water and pat dried on the top portion of the cloth. The two plates and the handle are next. Once dry, they all go inside my shaving cabinets and ready for the next day. Head separate from handle.
Repeat. I find great satisfaction in doing this, as I treat all my tools the same way.
This is my way and cannot tell anyone what should or shouldn't be done.

I think it helps my post-shave Zen so I also strip down, clean and rebuild ready for the next shave.

Or it's my OCD also... :blink:

Top Bottom