What's new

Do You Clean/Disinfect New Razors and Blades?

I bought a brand new DE razor and when it arrives thinking to dissemble and clean it by washing with soap and hot water, then dry it, then disinfect it by wiping it with alcohol and letting it air dry. Also I have some DE blades that I bought about 5 years ago to use for something. The pack has been open and just laying around. Should I use them or better buy new ones? If I can use them what is the best way to disinfect the blade? Would dipping it in the alcohol and air drying be sufficient?

Do You clean/disinfect brand new razors and blades before you start using it? If so, how do You do it? Thanks.

If I were you, I would just buy some new blades. Why chance it....
As for cleaning your new razor. I think your direction will work just fine.

If I were you, I would just buy some new blades. Why chance it....

Well the blades in the pack are not used. I just opened the pack to get some of them out, but the rest are still in the pack unused just sitting there. Why can't I use them? Do they go bad or become less sharp with time? Thanks.

The equipment is ready go right out of the packaging. If cleaning was necessary then instructions to do so would be on the packaging. As it is, modern razor blades are cleaned of all manufacturing oils and sprayed with an antiseptic solution before they are packaged.

Yuhp. New razors and unused blades, as long as they are still wrapped and not rusted, are ready to go. I've seen people use 20yr old classic gillette blades. No worrys. I only clean old razors that I get from BST or antique stores, and than do a final disinfection in alcohol.

Disassemble and sterilize a brand-new razor? Who are you, Adrian Monk?

Not, not to that extent no, but I don't know how it will be packaged when it arrives. It could have been laying around in some dusty warehouse on the shelf. Who knows who touched it. I think it's a great idea to clean an item before allpying to your face and actually shaving with it. It makes sense to me.

Top Bottom