What's new

Do you care about where your razor came from?

lasta

Blade Biter
Hey guys, might be a sensitive topic, so apologies before hand.

I've lived in China for the past 6 years and have come across a good number of antique razors/shaving paraphernalia (they do trickle around). But so far, I haven't dipped into war-era items.

I've acquired about a dozen old Gillettes over the past 2 weeks, but there's one modified/makeshift Contract Tech on the watchlist that I haven't pulled the trigger yet:
idlefish-msg-1643089820966.jpg
idlefish-msg-1643089824157.jpg

Back in those days, US and China were allies, and it may as well be a stocking stuffer for a local acquaintance. But as far as I've read, there never were much boots on the ground for Americans in China. If you were to throw a dart at anywhere else in Asia-Pacific, American soldiers and "good times" don't exactly mix. Personal things there might as well came around the same way as Lugers and guntos in America.

If you were me would you go for it? Or would you feel uneasy about how these things might have came around?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I suspect most who have a gripe against China do so because of their behaviour and culture today and not as a result of historical events. I could be wrong of course. That said, buy what you want, pay no heed to the opinions of others, including mine 👍

lasta

Blade Biter
I suspect most who have a gripe against China do so because of their behaviour and culture today and not as a result of historical events. I could be wrong of course. That said, buy what you want, pay no heed to the opinions of others, including mine 👍
Good point, didn't mean to bring in modern politics. What I meant was do you care if this was looted from a dead soldier.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Good point, didn't mean to bring in modern politics. What I meant was do you care if this was looted from a dead soldier.
That would not personally worry me although I could quite understand and respect why others may feel differently. There are so called 'spoils of war' on all sides I am sure. In truth, who really knows the complete history of any vintage object?

Hey guys, might be a sensitive topic, so apologies before hand.

I've lived in China for the past 6 years and have come across a good number of antique razors/shaving paraphernalia (they do trickle around). But so far, I haven't dipped into war-era items.

I've acquired about a dozen old Gillettes over the past 2 weeks, but there's one modified/makeshift Contract Tech on the watchlist that I haven't pulled the trigger yet:
View attachment 1399104
View attachment 1399105

Back in those days, US and China were allies, and it may as well be a stocking stuffer for a local acquaintance. But as far as I've read, there never were much boots on the ground for Americans in China. If you were to throw a dart at anywhere else in Asia-Pacific, American soldiers and "good times" don't exactly mix. Personal things there might as well came around the same way as Lugers and guntos in America.

If you were me would you go for it? Or would you feel uneasy about how these things might have came around?

Maybe it was from The Dolittle Raid,
gifted to the Chinese who saved an airman's life?

Or maybe it belonged to one of the Flying Tigers,
whose fighters had the best nose art ever?

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
Maybe it was from The Dolittle Raid,
gifted to the Chinese who saved an airman's life?
Hahaha, you are a real optimist.

Tens of thousands of the locals were massacred for sheltering Dolittle pilots. I'd think they would have gave something better than a Gem handle stuffed in a half broken Tech head:c8:

Is there really a way to find out where any antique came from ?

Items sold on ebay in the USA which state "no smoke no pet home". Stories can be woven around any antique items. Do not get me wrong - I am not implying that the lot of ebay sellers are liars, thieves and grave robbers !

Ultimately man or razor - "unto dust shalt thou return" (Genesis 3:19)

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
There were PLENTY of westerners living and working in China before the Japanese invasion.
Once the invasion began, many had to just up and leave, not taking anything with them except the clothes on their back.
We have no idea how the razor came to be where it is, and no idea of to whom and how it was passed from hand to hand.
You can surmise it was looted from a dead serviceman or you can surmise it was left behind on a hasty departure, or you can surmise that a much more modern individual brought the razor to China on a business trip and lost it.
No one of those possibilities has any more or less credence than another.
That being the case, it probably is not wise to assume it's provenance is the worst of all possibilities.

Being Dutch Would I buy anything: with German swastika on it, nope!
Chinese, no problem
Russian I did, but that might be over long time in the near future and hoping p&g makes a blade plant outside of Russia in the next 5 years.

But in the end if we care about spending habits and origin history political correctness I am afraid you will find something about any country.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 Guy gave me a silver ABC set once as he wouldn't shave with "a dead guy's razor." Certainly it was so, made in 1912.

Shaves me very well, however. Things outlive people.

🤔 The original Bowie knife probably wound up on a farm south of the border as a "cuchillo viejo."

AA

I own two razors and part of why I like them is they both are from small family businesses and have precise manufacturing. Supporting a small business person that had an idea, design, then put forward a plan was very appealing to me.
My two razors are a Yates and a Henson.

Top Bottom