What's new

Do the scary chemicals effect your buying habits?

What is the risk?

given you don't believe individual studies (which is fair enough), show me the scientific, peer reviewed concensus that they are to be avoided in shaving products.
As I said in the previous post, this does not seem to be a topic where any member of opposing sides of the debate ever end up crossing the floor, so any info ends up being seen as insufficient in the end.

SLS is one of the easier ones I think, the risk is irritation. It is the standard for testing skin irritation in dermatology.

Here are two articles I have never read and had no influence on my decision making, but since you asked for articles this is what came up with a quick search.
SLS for irritant patch testing If the link does not work, it is in Journal of Investigative Dermatology (1990) 95, 543–547; doi:10.1111/1523-1747.ep12504896.
If you don't have access and would like to read the article, I can email it. Essentially the article supports that SLS is an effective skin irritant.

This article says the same, but there are hundred of these on the web.
A Comparison Study of Nonanoic Acid and Sodium Lauryl Sulfate in Skin Irritation.
Exog Dermatol 2004;3:19-25 (DOI: 10.1159/000084139)

In posting these, the leap that I rely on you making is that the fact that SLS is known as an effective skin irritant in testing means that it will also be an irritant when used in shaving cream, shampoo, etc. I also require you to make the leap that despite the fact that testing concentration will be much higher than found in our shaving products, SLS will still cause irritation.

That being said, articles aside, I personally had some skin irritation that I wanted to address. I cut SLS products out completely (I think) and have noticed that my skin is in better condition. It may also be because those products contained parabens, or that they contained something else. Or it may just be my imagination, but I feel I have enough reason to cut those products out permanently. I see no benefit to using them and there may be a disadvantage, so it is easy enough to avoid them, for me personally.

We can have the same conversation about a number of different chemicals/items, whether it be tephlon, BPA, or even micro-waves. There is little proof that these products cause any harm at all, so there is no need for hysteria, fear mongering, or militant laws banning them, but I happily avoid them and see no loss in quality of life for doing so.

We are all gonna die anyway from something. Why spend time worrying about it. You guys obsessed with chemicals in your shaving cream.... Do you ALWAYS wear your seatbelt? Or speed?

What I want to know is why we are seeing a 19 year-old man and a 22 year-old man fighting cancer? I am 65 and a 2-year survivor at Stage 3. I saw a lot of younger people getting their chemo treatments. It disturbs me to see this trend of cancer attacking young people. I know this about cancer: it has a genetic component and an environmental component. We can monitor family histories for a heads-up on the genetics deal...but the environmental thing is tricky to deal with. To some extent, it's up to us to address the environmental hazards and try to limit or avoid exposure.

As to the question from the OP, yes I am concerned with the ingredients and chemicals in shaving products. I am unhappy with the low end aftershaves for the dyes they contain...so, despite rave reviews, I avoid them. Pinaud Clubman is an example. At the same time, I will choose to be less vigilant if a product has some other redeeming value making it worth some risk.

I will only add that I've also been shot and walked away for several bad car wrecks, as well as fighting a war with cancer...but I gain little comfort from those near death experiences. I simply understand more clearly how fragile and vulnerable we men are in this world.

I try to buy products without the nasty chemicals. Even if they are of no danger, they are not going to be a direct health benefit either. Handcrafted soaps like QCS, MW and Mikes appeal to me on many levels, including their ingredient list. Am I saving myself from cancer? Maybe, maybe not. Does it matter to me that I make an attempt? Yup. I don't eat refined sugar or artificial sweeteners either. I use natural products and eat organic as a lifestyle, and since I have started this practice, I have made noticeable gains in my health. My health was deteriorating rapidly under the care of doctors who practice the big pharma standard of care, and naturopathy was my path to getting my life back. So, I chose to go as natural as I can, and I see no reason to convince others to do it.

I am not vegan, and I find Tallow to be a desired ingredient. So a wiki with both natural products and an indicator of whether they are vegan or not would be preferred by me.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I eat scary chemicals for breakfast!!

Literally!! Have you tied to pronounce what's in stuff these days!

What I want to know is why we are seeing a 19 year-old man and a 22 year-old man fighting cancer? I am 65 and a 2-year survivor at Stage 3. I saw a lot of younger people getting their chemo treatments. It disturbs me to see this trend of cancer attacking young people. I know this about cancer: it has a genetic component and an environmental component. We can monitor family histories for a heads-up on the genetics deal...but the environmental thing is tricky to deal with. To some extent, it's up to us to address the environmental hazards and try to limit or avoid exposure.

As to the question from the OP, yes I am concerned with the ingredients and chemicals in shaving products. I am unhappy with the low end aftershaves for the dyes they contain...so, despite rave reviews, I avoid them. Pinaud Clubman is an example. At the same time, I will choose to be less vigilant if a product has some other redeeming value making it worth some risk.

I will only add that I've also been shot and walked away for several bad car wrecks, as well as fighting a war with cancer...but I gain little comfort from those near death experiences. I simply understand more clearly how fragile and vulnerable we men are in this world.

Awesome man, glad to hear it! As for the young people you saw getting treated for cancer, part of that is due to health care. Not that health care causes it, but that it has more or less eliminated the process of natural selection. People born with problems that would normally be insurmountable are now able to live long happy productive lives, and I for one am glad they are able to do so. However what also is done is that a "bad" gene is also preserved, whether it be from a faulty transcription error or genetic predilections that reached a level in that individual is now being put back into the gene pool instead of eliminated. This may not necessarily show up in their children or even in their children's children, but it is still there and with the millions upon millions of people in this country alone, it all adds up.
I feel it necessary to add that I am not one of those people that believes all hospitals and health care should be abolished as it's either "not natural" or it's not "part of god's plan". I just know that everything has consequences and that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Really all you can do really is enjoy the good and deal with the bad as best you can because TANSTAAFL and there are ALWAYS strings attached.

To answer the OP's question, no, I'm not worried about chemical exposure and am not a chemophobe. There's not enough literature and scientific evidence supporting most claims of "scary" chemicals. And even if you do find a scientific journal article supporting your claim about a chemical, I guarantee I can find an equal number saying the exact opposite because there is no general consensus.

Until I joined this forum,and started really studying the ingredients in shaving products,and all cosmetic products,I never knew the potential dangers of certain chemicals like parabens.It wasnt then until I checked every shampoo,lotion,skin products,soaps,and of course shaving products in the house how many products that contained parabens I have.The next few days,my order of Proraso shaving cream ,pre-shave,and after shave balm arrived and I checked the ingredients,and yep,they had parabens,but so does the Mennen Afta AS Balm ive been using since I was 15 (im 38 now).So what is one to do?I wasnt about to throw all my stuff in the trash,especially my brand new Proraso products I spent alot on.It did come to mind to return them,or sell them,but eh,I decided Im going to just keep them.Plus,they work great.
I think a wiki page on the subject of ingredients on B&B would be great too.Everyone can pitch in and add what Allantoin is and what its purpose is.The same with Panthenol,Retinol.Im sure many many new to shaving here look at the ingredients of aftershaves and skin products and wonder why a "witch" named "hazel" is in a bottle .:biggrin1:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Until I joined this forum,and started really studying the ingredients in shaving products,and all cosmetic products,I never knew the potential dangers of certain chemicals like parabens.It wasnt then until I checked every shampoo,lotion,skin products,soaps,and of course shaving products in the house how many products that contained parabens I have.The next few days,my order of Proraso shaving cream ,pre-shave,and after shave balm arrived and I checked the ingredients,and yep,they had parabens,but so does the Mennen Afta AS Balm ive been using since I was 15 (im 38 now).So what is one to do?I wasnt about to throw all my stuff in the trash,especially my brand new Proraso products I spent alot on.It did come to mind to return them,or sell them,but eh,I decided Im going to just keep them.Plus,they work great.
I think a wiki page on the subject of ingredients on B&B would be great too.Everyone can pitch in and add what Allantoin is and what its purpose is.The same with Panthenol,Retinol.Im sure many many new to shaving here look at the ingredients of aftershaves and skin products and wonder why a "witch" named "hazel" is in a bottle .:biggrin1:

If it makes you feel any better, there isn't one iota of scientific evidence that parabens are harmful. In fact there have been several studies where exposure to parabens on a million fold scale were conducted with no conclusive evidence whatsoever.

If complete elimination of parabens are a goal, then folks should start looking into the fruits and veggies they eat because parabens occur in nature and food accounts for about ten times the exposure to parabens than average skin care and cosmetic product usages.

The "paraben free" bandwagon folks will tell you there are no parabens in their product, but read the label. Does the list of ingredients include green tea, olive, mango, cucumber, strawberries, blueberries, vanilla, or cocoa? All of these contain naturally occurring parabens.

Last edited:
Can someone name some of the scary soaps?:scared::biggrin1:

Williams.

BTW, I prefer cheap Clubman chemical cocktails and seek out soaps made from critters. I've nothing against those folks that don't, as long as they don't try to regulate my preferences out of existence.

I'm a mechanic so at any given point during the day I probably have all kinds of chemicals/chemical residue on my hands, face, and body! Diesel, Gas, axle grease, de-greasers, solvents...you name it! That being said, I DO look out for certain chemicals that give me razor burn. In regards to cancer and other hazards I think I'm more at risk during work than the 20 min. it takes me to shave! Just my two cents.

First... welcome to B&B!

Second... mega-congrats on beating cancer. Helluva deal to have... big thing to kick it. Way to go.

Third... I'm sure if I were in your shoes, I would be especially careful and make damn sure I didn't go down that path again. It is OK to look at the ingredients.

Fourth... I'm one of the Vets who have been there and done that and a few weird names on an ingredients list do not affect me. However, I fully understand and support your desire to be careful. I am allergic to one soap - one that claims to be non-allergenic - so I do look at the big print... ;-}

SLS is harsh on my skin... so I try not to buy anything that contains it. Parabens are in berries, and I EAT those, so I can't see a reason not to shave with them.

Top Bottom