What's new

Do soaps and croaps need to be covered? What if you don't?

I have a few soaps that I keep in lather bowls or mugs that don't have tops and are always exposed to the air. I thought this would eventually damper the scent or dry them out but I have not seen that happen yet. I have a puck of Fine American Blend in one of the Fine ceramic lather bowls and the scent still seems as strong as ever even though it's been in its bowl for almost 2 years uncovered. Same for a NOS puck of AOS Sandalwood I have in an Old Spice mug.

What about soft soaps or croaps like Cella? Will they dry out?

I would only worry about the new super fatty soaps. Those go rancid easier, due to all of the fats and ingredients.

Creams will dry out though, and yes it will lose the scent slowly over time.

Some soaps can definitely dry out some if left open long enough, but I've never found it to alter their use. Softer soaps (and creams) are also pretty easy to re-hydrate by adding some water and letting it soak for a day or two. Can also stir the water in if the product is soft enough.

Hard soaps I think are fine left out, or loosely covered.

Soft soaps will dry out, so it's best to cover them. I like to use these type of containers:
cont-2.jpg

I will keep one soap at a time in a "loading bowl" until it's time for a change. Then, transfer the soap to a tin for storage.

even the hard tallows benefit from being lidded in my opinion. it's been most evident with MWF, but I lid all mine so that they stay better hydrated. when hydrated, they don't need to be bloomed, and lather faster and easier.

The only soap I had that I soon realized had to be covered was MWF. If you don't cover it it dries out and cracks quite a bit.

I have my MWF in their ceramic bowl with lid but it doesn't really seal. I plan on using it tomorrow since it's been a while so I guess I'll find out.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
t
It's only for a few days, I swear.
:lol1:

I might be wrong but I think the shiver was not about an open soap.

Man . . . I come across your posts and with so many letters common in our member names I think . . did I post that? Then I see the car that you use as your avatar.

Open soap looses some scents quickly .. . not always a bad thing. Now I've never found a rancid soap myself. But I suspect it smells like meat that goes off . . .

yeah . . .maybe don't use soap that smells like that.

As an artisan soap maker, I'll add a few things:

- The scent, whether essentials oils or fragrance oils, will lose strength over time when exposed to air. This really only happens to the portion that is exposed, but that's the portion you are using. Without the soap being in a covered jar, the scent will disappear faster than you are using the soap.

- The fatty oils and butters used in premium soft soaps have a shelf life, typically around a year. Covering the soap won't increase it. However, leaving the soap uncovered will accelerate the soap going rancid.

- With many of the additives we are adding to soaps these days, being exposed will compromise the integrity of the ingredients. Bathrooms are very humid and the moisture will be absorbed into the soap. This will destroy the properties we strive to achieve with these additives.

- Finally, NEVER NEVER EVER bloom a soft shaving soap!

- The scent, whether essentials oils or fragrance oils, will lose strength over time when exposed to air. This really only happens to the portion that is exposed, but that's the portion you are using. Without the soap being in a covered jar, the scent will disappear faster than you are using the soap.

- The fatty oils and butters used in premium soft soaps have a shelf life, typically around a year. Covering the soap won't increase it. However, leaving the soap uncovered will accelerate the soap going rancid.

- With many of the additives we are adding to soaps these days, being exposed will compromise the integrity of the ingredients. Bathrooms are very humid and the moisture will be absorbed into the soap. This will destroy the properties we strive to achieve with these additives.

Outstanding information! Thank you!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I guess it depends on the climate where you reside and where you store your soaps or creams. I do not use many creams but they were purchased in jars with screw top lids such as TOBS. I do not wet the cream in the tub or lather in the tub, I remove an amount of cream for each use then seal and store the tub ready for next time. I use Tabac and MWF soaps and they were supplied in ceramic bowls with loose fitting lids so that is how I store them between uses. I load the brush in the original bowls with a fairly dry brush then face lather. A few drops of water is enough to rehydrate the soaps if they have dried out but I agree that some scent strength can be lost over time.

If I could pick your brain, how does this impact soaps like Cella that people buy in large quantities (like the Cella brick) that will last a year plus? I have heard people vacuum seal them or just put them in a Ziploc bag and store them in the fridge. I have plenty of soaps that are more than a year old but most of them are hard pucks and are sealed.

If I could pick your brain, how does this impact soaps like Cella that people buy in large quantities (like the Cella brick) that will last a year plus? I have heard people vacuum seal them or just put them in a Ziploc bag and store them in the fridge. I have plenty of soaps that are more than a year old but most of them are hard pucks and are sealed.

I too am curious about this same question. I unfortunately went crazy and bought a ton of artisan soaps early on my DE shaving adventure and decided to vacuum seal and refrigerate them to preserve them. Will this help prevent them from going rancid or will I end up with an expensive pile of garbage?

All the Proraso soaps I have come with tubs and lids....so I use the lid.

I have a tub of Arko that I just refill with a stick when it gets used.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200211-090548_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200211-090548_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    370.7 KB · Views: 1

Great information!! Thanks! :thumbup: :thumbup:

There is a difference between small-batch artisan soaps and mass produced ones. Products like Cella and Proraso mainly consist of coconut oil and stearic acid. Cella also includes tallow. Once saponified (turned into soap), coconut oil and tallow do have a long shelf life, so two years isn't a problem. Saponified stearic acid won't go bad.

Artisan soaps typically have specialty butters and exotic oils. Even after saponification, they will go bad in time. I label my product as expiring in 12 months. Some oils and butters last longer but as a general rule, 12 months is safe.

There is also a difference between hard pucks and softer soaps. A hard puck will need to be bloomed to soften the surface enough for the brush to load. Soft soaps and creams do not need this. And as I mentioned, the extra moisture can deteriorate some of the chemical additives. A damp brush is sufficient to load plenty of soap.

And yes, vacuum sealing and refrigeration will increase the shelf life of a premium soft soap.

Top Bottom