What's new

Do I need to buy an axe now?

I don't, I thought about getting one that was for sale here locally but I thought the asking price was to high. I think he had 150 on it, it has since sold so apparently he wasn't asking too much. I have a bias though for the older USA made axes.
Yeah unfortunately even online after shipping that is probably about the low end that they go for. Which is why I don't have one, but still want one.

Great score @alex1921 it a beauty

The Norton’s are piling up around here also but they haven’t seen a ax yet. As a matter of fact, I haven’t sharpened my ax since Hurricane Irma in 17. Swing a ax at most of the stuff around me and it will get stuck were it landed. A Sheffield machete and my Woodman’s Pal get the workout here on Brazilian Peppers, Palmetto Trees, and Birds of Paradise. They get the Scottish treatment, Dalmore Blue and Tam O to give the toothy edge I look for

View attachment 1748524
Thank you Tim.

Exactly this. The flipping potential is marvellous. To the point that every crusty random barber hone on Aussie ebay is now listed as "racing axe hone" for silly prices. But none sell other than that Norton.
My understanding is they are milling these racing axes not forging. So maybe these axes are a tool steel that doesn't respond well to natural stones? If so, a hard fine synthetic stone that didn't shed grit would probably produce a finer edge than anything else on the market. The fascination with Norton in particular I can't explain though.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
The fascination with Norton in particular I can't explain though.
I can’t either, but it’s nothing new. There’s a video on YouTube from the early 80’s of two gents from Australia who are rebuilding historic parts of the town. The opening scene shows them sitting on a porch, sharpening their axes. Both of them have norton razor hones. I don’t think these guys were competitive axe racers, but I could be wrong. They do work quite well on axes, but so do countless other stones.

Legion

Staff member
So are these Norton barber hone really better that an good barber hone for axes, or is it just a, folklore “magic” stone?
Nah, I think it is superstition and folklore. I bet a million years ago there was a champion axe racer who won every comp, and that was the hone he used, so that hone that became the "magic bullet" path to success.

You could probably get the same edge with a Swaty or something.

I can’t either, but it’s nothing new. There’s a video on YouTube from the early 80’s of two gents from Australia who are rebuilding historic parts of the town. The opening scene shows them sitting on a porch, sharpening their axes. Both of them have norton razor hones. I don’t think these guys were competitive axe racers, but I could be wrong. They do work quite well on axes, but so do countless other stones.

Great video.

I usually start an axe resto with a mill bastard, might follow with a finer cut file, follow the files with carborundum stone. follow that with a finer diamond plate. If I need more then maybe an Ark or possibly a charged leather pad. I know someone upstate that does the most outrageous job with a belt grinder.

I have a Swede SA, prefer the USA Kelly though. Both are very good. Have a very cheap new axe, probably Chinese or Mexico - works fine for what I need it to do.

The Norton combo stones though, I am lost on why people go bonkers for them. Just have not experienced the alleged magical powers. I like the boxes and embossing though.

IMG_8094.jpeg
IMG_8094.jpeg

Up here in the mountains, a proper axe is a true mainstay. The Swedish axes are alright but I prefer those made by Council Tool over in NC. I believe they’re a better value. Fire departments really like them
also. Guess that says something.

IMG_8094.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
I usually start an axe resto with a mill bastard, might follow with a finer cut file, follow the files with carborundum stone. follow that with a finer diamond plate. If I need more then maybe an Ark or possibly a charged leather pad. I know someone upstate that does the most outrageous job with a belt grinder.

I have a Swede SA, prefer the USA Kelly though. Both are very good. Have a very cheap new axe, probably Chinese or Mexico - works fine for what I need it to do.

The Norton combo stones though, I am lost on why people go bonkers for them. Just have not experienced the alleged magical powers. I like the boxes and embossing though.
File- coarse/fine India- Turkey. I’m not racing anyone though.

Flap disc on a angle grinder! Simples!
Planes and chamfers posts. At sixty mile an hour down the road a one/two millimeter gap in a split rail fence post is hardly discernible. :D

View attachment 1750551View attachment 1750551
Up here in the mountains, a proper axe is a true mainstay. The Swedish axes are alright but I prefer those made by Council Tool over in NC. I believe they’re a better value. Fire departments really like them
also. Guess that says something.

View attachment 1750551

I have a couple Council Tool axes, very good. Only problem I have with modern access are that the handles are ridiculously thick. A friend of mine has an old Sager Chemical age from his Forest Service days and the handle is extremely slim. Good job for a spokeshave.

Top Bottom