What's new

Do I need to buy an axe now?

Arrived today. The stone is in great condition, no chips, nothing. Instructions included.
No, I didn't pay $22 :)

A294D5F0-F1BD-4557-82FE-B2C3AF9ABCD0_1_105_c.jpeg

C1237A38-C793-4DB0-B749-27436015FCBC_1_105_c.jpeg

A192BAAF-3525-4847-AE4C-0E75E86A8B18_1_105_c.jpeg

Arrived today. The stone is in great condition, no chips, nothing. Instructions included.
No, I didn't pay $22 :)

View attachment 1748061

View attachment 1748062

View attachment 1748060
Why don't you have an axe friend? Id be without forks in my home before without an axe, but I live in the woods and chop a decent amount of timber. I don't have a norton one but I've got an American hone Co 2 sidereal that was sold third party at Ralph's and it does fantastic on axes. One day I'll buckle and buy a Swedish axe. Id like to find a really old Japanese axe too.

Why don't you have an axe friend? Id be without forks in my home before without an axe, but I live in the woods and chop a decent amount of timber. I don't have a norton one but I've got an American hone Co 2 sidereal that was sold third party at Ralph's and it does fantastic on axes. One day I'll buckle and buy a Swedish axe. Id like to find a really old Japanese axe too.
Haven't used one since I was a teenager at my grandmas. I guess I haven't needed one since then.
Back then we would chop wood for the fireplace and also the fire pit in the back yard. Then we would roast bratwursts. Good times.

Haven't used one since I was a teenager at my grandmas. I guess I haven't needed one since then.
Back then we would chop wood for the fireplace and also the fire pit in the back yard. Then we would roast bratwursts. Good times.
Wit marten beir, gherkins, und kraut.... sounds like a perfect autumn day.

Sir....... well done, that's beautiful. It's hard work and lots of time to make an axe pretty if it's made from decent steel. I'll try to find time this week to sharpen one and post it. What'd you sharpen it with? I'm tempted to use my Mikawa naguras on top of a hard ark or charnley and see how that cuts. Ive put a jnat finish on one and it was nice. I usually finish with a really hard/fine Belgian blue or (depending on what I'm cutting) I'll throw it on one of those coarser, swirly llyn Idwals that are like pea soup green/ cream colored. That last one of for vines and clearing a path, I'll put the same finish on my machete or a washita. I've done Tam O'shanter edges on them to and they left a wonderful all around edge. I planed my doorway(100 year old, old roth hardwood. Stuff is like iron) with my fiskars axe finished with a coarser Tam, a blue one. That barbers hone is pretty nice on it too.

Legion

Staff member
Sir....... well done, that's beautiful. It's hard work and lots of time to make an axe pretty if it's made from decent steel. I'll try to find time this week to sharpen one and post it. What'd you sharpen it with? I'm tempted to use my Mikawa naguras on top of a hard ark or charnley and see how that cuts. Ive put a jnat finish on one and it was nice. I usually finish with a really hard/fine Belgian blue or (depending on what I'm cutting) I'll throw it on one of those coarser, swirly llyn Idwals that are like pea soup green/ cream colored. That last one of for vines and clearing a path, I'll put the same finish on my machete or a washita. I've done Tam O'shanter edges on them to and they left a wonderful all around edge. I planed my doorway(100 year old, old roth hardwood. Stuff is like iron) with my fiskars axe finished with a coarser Tam, a blue one. That barbers hone is pretty nice on it too.
Turkey stones are the bomb for axes.

Thank you. Swedish and German hand made axes are great and shine pretty well. I also like the old Finnish axes. Whenever I buy another it will be one of the Finnish Billinas or that style.

I use coticules and other stones, but I use these little TOS axe stones I got from RobC on here a lot and they did that shine. Great little axe stones. I have a larger dark TOS I use sometimes too.

I will have to try the Turkey stone on one. Maybe find one of those old broken of numbs for sale and use it for that.

Tamaxestones.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
Thank you. Swedish and German hand made axes are great and shine pretty well. I also like the old Finnish axes. Whenever I buy another it will be one of the Finnish Billinas or that style.

I use coticules and other stones, but I use these little TOS axe stones I got from RobC on here a lot and they did that shine. Great little axe stones. I have a larger dark TOS I use sometimes too.

I will have to try the Turkey stone on one. Maybe find one of those old broken of numbs for sale and use it for that.

View attachment 1748298
Yup. My axe stone is a 1/3 piece of Turkey that broke off a larger stone. They do that often, unfortunately.

Great collection. Do you have any old Finnish like the Billinas? I need to find one of those.
I don't, I thought about getting one that was for sale here locally but I thought the asking price was to high. I think he had 150 on it, it has since sold so apparently he wasn't asking too much. I have a bias though for the older USA made axes.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Great score @alex1921 it a beauty

The Norton’s are piling up around here also but they haven’t seen a ax yet. As a matter of fact, I haven’t sharpened my ax since Hurricane Irma in 17. Swing a ax at most of the stuff around me and it will get stuck were it landed. A Sheffield machete and my Woodman’s Pal get the workout here on Brazilian Peppers, Palmetto Trees, and Birds of Paradise. They get the Scottish treatment, Dalmore Blue and Tam O to give the toothy edge I look for

307C554D-3CF5-4F67-97B1-E23D404D0567.jpeg

Top Bottom