What's new

DMT 600 for lapping?

Eh, I would personally not use anything finer than a DMT course diamond plate. Technically, 600 grit and higher DMT plates are not at all meant for lapping per DMT's warranty and recommendations.

Also, with proper use, you shouldn't need to ever lap your coticule since they wear so slowly. Do a Google search for "lapping coticule site:coticule.be".

Okie dokie. I was just looking at a 600/1200 combo DMT for chips, heavy bevel work, etc and was curious if it would also do double duty lapping stones without having to get another DMT.

Careful with that axe, Eugene...though it does improve the feel a little bit, it presumably won't make the rock any flatter if it isn't itself flatter than your coarse side (it could be less flat), and I've already stripped a DMT plate of its diamonds this way.

Hey Jarrod. I don't need to lap those cotis yet. This was more a curiosity for later on. If I were to get this combo DMT, could it be used down the road for lapping. Sounds like no and if I want a DMT for lapping I should get the course guy.

U

Utopian

The DMT company only recommends the 120 grit DMTXX for lapping hones. The rest of the line is for metal removal/sharpening. They acknowledge that the coarse plate, the DMTC, can be used for water stones, but NOT for natural stones.

Had long conversations w/ the DMT tech gurus, whom told me their X-coarse (such as upon some duosharps) is actually their best lapper rather than the XX diasharp, with which I'd agree. On waterstones, it isn't even close. I do tend to use the XX for a 'rough draft' of Arkansas stones, barber hones, and really hard coticules, though, as the 'height' of the plane of diamonds seems much taller and I'm afraid I'll run through the x-coarse interrupted plate's diamonds too quickly. I dream of an interrupted x-coarse plate physically like the Naniwa/Norton lapping stones, with big centimeter-wide gaps and a large depth between the flattening plane and the base of construction...they tell me they've tried it and it ain't possible for them.

It depends on the stone; some coticules feel quite against the duosharp, others not at all. If it isn't a generous releaser of its sediment, it will always hold its ground vs the plates longer.

The DMT company only recommends the 120 grit DMTXX for lapping hones. The rest of the line is for metal removal/sharpening. They acknowledge that the coarse plate, the DMTC, can be used for water stones, but NOT for natural stones.

Their current product listing recommends all three of the course grades (XX, X and C) for lapping waterstones but only the XX for "lapping Arkansas and synthetic stones". Their guide for woodworkers recommends only the XX and X for lapping waterstones.

PS: Jarrod, I haven't forgotten getting back to you about my thoughts on that La Dressante. I just haven't had a chance to test it much.

Top Bottom