What's new

DIXI Razor

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
After finding almost nothing about the DIXI razor on B&B, or anywhere else for that matter, I decided to post.

DIXI is a vintage German razor. A brass version was purportedly used by German soldiers in WW1, and a zinc version in WW2. Dixi was also the marque of Fahrzeugfabrik Eisenach A.G., manufacturer of German automobiles from 1904 to 1928, when it was purchased by BMW. Dixi’s Eisenach factory became the birthplace of BMW’s car manufacturing. Who knows, perhaps there is a connection between the DIXI razors, Dixi cars, and BMW.

I digress. Unlike so many other double edge safety razors that screw down the cap through the handle, the DIXI razor has a simple, more unique solution, the razor head is pushed forward with the handle sliding up against the guard. The head becomes disjointed from the handle after which the upper and lower blade plate can be separated and the blade replaced, as such there is no need for a solid handle, so DIXI has a flat open handle, which gives it its distinct appearance.

The DIXI pictured below came to me through a generous BST from a B&B friend in the Netherlands. I used it this morning for the first time, pairing it appropriately with Haslinger Shafmilch and a new Astra Superior Stainless blade. Knowing nothing of how DIXIs perform, no pressure was used. Just slow, careful, deft passes. Caution was rewarded with a very good, bloodless shave. My mind did drift. This razor has a story. Did it spend time in the trenches of Verdun or the Somme? I will never know. But there was joy in using a razor a century after it was produced, likely went to war, spent countless years set aside only to resurface amongst the B&B brotherhood, and could to this day deliver a fine result.

IMG_1640.jpeg
IMG_1641.jpeg

After finding almost nothing about the DIXI razor on B&B, or anywhere else for that matter, I decided to post.
Good plan!

There is some very vague info out there, but much of it is mere repitition.

Interesting images here DIXI razor (WWII) Germany (signed D.R.P.) - https://www.rasage-traditionnel.com/t10800-dixi-razor-wwii-germany-signed-d-r-p including what appears to be a lined boxed example.

Messygoon:

Did it spend time in the trenches of Verdun or the Somme?

Verdun was not a good place to shave in 1916. The battle space was about 5 miles by 5 miles and in that area maybe at least 500,000 rotting human corpses and twice as many horses were admixed to the shell blasted and viley chemical weapons impregnated soil.

And this went on for 10 months in total. Intense fighting from February to June, with less intense but still heavy engagements till December. It was the most horrific battle in human history.

Alistair Horne in his superb 1962 study of the battle, The Price Of Glory, The Price of Glory - https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Hqde_Ay7hDkC&printsec=frontcover&dq=the+price+of+glory+alistair+horne&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=the%20price%20of%20glory%20alistair%20horne&f=false comments that nowhere else would even the most minor scratch turn into fatal tetanus or gangrene. A shave would have been left till a unit was rotated to the reserve trenches.

I have seen some pics of Verdun German troops in the line. Many appear with beards. The gasmasks of 1916 were similar to hoods with the breathing valve built in, which went over the head and was tightened with cord at the bottom, so not as much need to shave. The French infantry were almost all bearded, giving the name Poilu, 'hairies', a term despised by the men themselves.

I will dig around a bit.

Last edited:

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Never cease to be amazed by the wealth of knowledge of B&B brothers. In my research, I never came across a DIXI box. Now, with the posts above by @Alum Ladd and @nemo, I’ve seen three!

Well done gentlemen, and I hope this post generates even more info on this interesting vintage razor.

Hi @Messygoon , thank you for the review and @Alum Ladd for the piece of history. I enjoyed reading it!
Being a non native English speaker it's hard for me to understand your description of the functioning of the tool, could you add pictures of the Dixi disassembled? I'm curious to see how it works... Good day to all.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Hi @Messygoon , thank you for the review and @Alum Ladd for the piece of history. I enjoyed reading it!
Being a non native English speaker it's hard for me to understand your description of the functioning of the tool, could you add pictures of the Dixi disassembled? I'm curious to see how it works... Good day to all.
My pleasure. Just a flick of the thumb disengages and opens the razor. Once done, the cap and base plate separate from the blade.

IMG_1646.jpegIMG_1647.jpegIMG_1648.jpeg

After reading this post I got intrigued. There is a brass one in the mail that will arrive in a couple days.
The manufacturer was Paul Schaele. Berlin S. 42: Alexandrinenstrasse 35 in 1932. Brand names: 'Basta', 'Dixi', 'Lloyd', 'Schälende Hände'.
This is taken from a German website naming manufacturers through history.
By the look of this, there is more than one brand and he probably also made an Italian version for I.T.A.L.I.A named Folgore.
The search continues..

Last edited:
Hi Alum Ladd,

When I tried to look up that link it wouldn't let me see the page because I already looked at too many?
Just in case this happens to more folks I put another link here about the manufacturer. This might also have been in the link you posted but since it wasn't visible to me I posted an extra link.

Top Bottom