What's new

Diving in!

I’ve finally decided to take the plunge and go all out using a Straight( Vacation coming up...lots of practice time!).

The resources on this site are second to none and I’ve learned so much about shaving. I never knew anything about wet shaving, how to get a quality shave or what a DE was before B&B months ago. Now, I’ve been using a beautiful Merkur HD DE and I’m getting GREAT shaves. But the lure of the Straight is what brought me here in the first place and now I can no longer ignore the itch :w00t:

After spending a considerable amount of time reading about Straights, the necessary tools, techniques and care, I still have tons of questions (need to read more). But I’d really appreciate any feedback from the pro’s here.

From what I’ve read I think I should be all set just starting off with the following:

• 5/8 Straight Razor (pro/factory honed)
  • Leather Strop
  • Bader Brush (already have)
  • Shaving Soap (already have)
  • Hone (I need help here)

If someone can suggest or recommend a really good barbers hone or finishing hone I’d appreciate it. Also if you have a “must see” and “highly recommended” stropping and or honing videos can you please post? (YouTube, DVD, etc. )

Also, I’m leaning towards something like this:

http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/725412/8464988.htm

or

http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/7547524/7959625.htm

Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance:wink2:

The 2nd one there should be all you need, considering you already have brushes, soap, etc...

You don't need to worry about a hone just yet, You should be able to get 3-6 weeks (depending on whether or not you bugger up your edge with newbishness) before it needs a touch up. (this will get longer as your experience and skill grows)

When touch up time comes you could use a balsa bench strop and CrOx, would be a fairly cheap setup, or get a Coti bout, C12K... lots of choices there but that can come later.

For now only concern yourself with proper stropping and shaving. I'd suggest sticking with 1 soap. It really did wonders for me sticking to the same soap for 2 weeks straight.

Last edited:
Welcome ahollis. Im fairly new to the straight world as well, and having a great time with it. I can't really advise on the stones but Im sure others here will lead you in the right direction.
As for a strop many here recommend to start with a practice strop that runs for about $20. I have one and its great. This way you don't ruin a real good one until you have a good technic in stropping.

@Munxcub - Thanks for the awesome reply! I'm going to have to find out what kind of newbishness I need to avoid. Appreciate the feed back regarding the strop setups...I'm going to definitely check out what you mentioned.

@etoknife - Thanks for the welcome. Appreciate the tip on the practice strop!

If I were you, I would stay away from those straight razor sets. Listen, you're going to destroy your first strop. We all do. Why buy an expensive strop only to ruin it?

I would by whippeddog.com 's poor man's strop kit, or ruprazor.com 's filly strop. Then go for whatever razor you feel like getting. 5/8 is a nice size and what I prefer, but I think 6/8 would be even better. The extra size helps with stropping and shaving.

Later on, when you stop nicking your strop, get a fancy strop as a reward.

Looks like a nice set up. I would really skip the more expensive strop for now and pick up a Filly Strop . I would also think about a less expensive razor for starting out. Something like the Dovo Best from Superior Shave will serve you well and not spend a ton of dough and Jarrod puts a real nice edge on a razor.

If you do go with the razor you listed make sure it will be professionally honed not just factory honed as it will not be shave ready.

To be honest I didn't find myself nicking my strop at all... but as always YMMV and maybe you'll be a knicker. Either way these entry level strops mentioned above are by no means cheap and will serve you fine. (from what I hear, I have not used them myself)

Getting set up from Larry at whipped dog would be a good way in, then if you like straight shaving you can start splurging on pretty stuff and have a functional backup set or something...

Also it's worth noting that straightrazordesigns.com has a free honing FOR LIFE deal going on right now. You might want to get your razor there if you decide to get a high end ($70+) razor.

Also it's worth noting that straightrazordesigns.com has a free honing FOR LIFE deal going on right now. You might want to get your razor there if you decide to get a high end ($70+) razor.

Get 2, so you can have one on the go and one out for honing. :wink2:

Top Bottom