What's new

Discussion Thread for Merkur 39C Review

Shaved with mine last night. Nice shave. It shaves closer than the reg slant just like the 38c shaves closer than the HD.Now I have 4 merkurs in rotation. Well, actually my FUTUR has been collecting dust ever since I got my 38c and reg slant. So, I have 3 merkurs in rotation.:biggrin:

Shaved with mine last night. Nice shave. It shaves closer than the reg slant just like the 38c shaves closer than the HD.Now I have 4 merkurs in rotation. Well, actually my FUTUR has been collecting dust ever since I got my 38c and reg slant. So, I have 3 merkurs in rotation.:biggrin:

I love shaving with various razors in my collection but the Slant hammer threatens to take over as my go to razor. I keep it loaded at all times within reach so that if the shave with whatever razor isn't going well that day I can switch. For me it is probably the best shaving razor I have and I have a lot of them. Now I am starting to delve into the straights and who knows where that will end. I don't think I will be one of those who gives up the DE for the straight as some have but you never know.

Just curious how many and wich British Gillettes you own.

Erwin, this would be a great topic for a separate thread. I have the Aristocrats in 15, 16, 66 silver & gold and the Junior. I also have the HD500, Coronation 58, HD Rocket in aluminum, Rocket flare tip, red tip and a Tech. What do you have?

Erwin, this would be a great topic for a separate thread. I have the Aristocrats in 15, 16, 66 silver & gold and the Junior. I also have the HD500, Coronation 58, HD Rocket in aluminum, Rocket flare tip, red tip and a Tech. What do you have?

I have not so many for I only keep the razors I shave with. There are now the HD500, Flare Tip Rocket, Ball End Tech and a #15 on the way from Australie and a Parat from Germany.

You are gonne love it. It is way better than my regular slant. It gives a closer and quicker shave but seems less aggressive. At least with derby's in it.

Sorry for the high-jack...

merwtje, I don't have too many, just;

Old style rocket, '47-'49 I believe
Flare Tip
HD 500
Aristocrat Jr.

I have my eyes out for a Red Tip Rocket, but so far no luck.

I've been using my 39C, in rotation, for a while now and I have found it to be a very nice razor.

Contrary to the excellent advice on this forum I went straight for a Feather blade in this bad boy.

It easily produced a BBS shave right off the bat with no loss of flesh or open wounds.

I don't claim to be the Yoda of wet shaving but I didn't find this a difficult razor to use. Obviously, I took it slow and easy the first few times but now I can whip through a shave session in about ten minutes without blood shedding or re-shaping my face in any way.

Personally, I'd say; don't be put off by the aggressive reputation of the Slant razor's. If you are comfortable shaving with a double edge then use can master this beast. Just take it easy and you'll have no problems.

Cheers,

:cool:

of course, you wouldn't hear if it DID, would you? I mean, dead people post no reviews.....

We need to start lurking on the paramedic forums:

"Oh, MAN, I saw the bloodiest thing today; the guy was dead and had bled out, for sure, but he was still holding this big metal double-edged razor; it was disgusting! Looked like something out of Saving Private Ryan..."

See? Then we'll know.

We need to start lurking on the paramedic forums:

"Oh, MAN, I saw the bloodiest thing today; the guy was dead and had bled out, for sure, but he was still holding this big metal double-edged razor; it was disgusting! Looked like something out of Saving Private Ryan..."

See? Then we'll know.

My 4th shave was a near death experience. Face was not in the mood for ATG.

Yes 39C. I think i had the angle wrong, I was more or less scraping my face off, rather than slicing my furs.

My experience with a slant is that it will inform you very quickly if your technique needs work. Mine (a short-handled Merkur Slant) does shave aggressively, and seems to shave a smaller width with each pass than my Merkur HD. I still haven't mastered the Slant, which I assume means my technique needs work.

The old Gillette instructions propose moving the blade at a 30-degree tilt to the surface of your face. Perhaps that might be useful upon your return to the horse that threw you? :001_smile

Jesse

My experience with a slant is that it will inform you very quickly if your technique needs work. Mine (a short-handled Merkur Slant) does shave aggressively, and seems to shave a smaller width with each pass than my Merkur HD. I still haven't mastered the Slant, which I assume means my technique needs work.

The old Gillette instructions propose moving the blade at a 30-degree tilt to the surface of your face. Perhaps that might be useful upon your return to the horse that threw you? :001_smile

Jesse

see, when a horse throws ME, I go back and shoot the f***er. Especially if that horse cuts my face up. Then I find a new horse and ride off into the sunset.

Top Bottom