What's new

Discussion Thread: 2006 B&B Finest Ebony Brush

I have used this brush once so far. So, this is just my initial impressions. The loft of this brush is longer than I expected. Does this affect anything? Who the heck knows? Just a visual observation on my part. Do I like it? Hell yeah!

The brush is also more prickly than I expected. This is very good for me. I was afraid that the brush would be SOOOOOO luxurious that I would not feel anything. Not so! Just the right amount of prickly and the right amount of softness.

Performance.........:confused: :confused: :confused: I can't think of enough good things to say about this brush's performance. I will obviously have to use it more before I make my final decision. But......this may just replace the Chubby 1 Super and PJ2 Super as my new #1 and #2.

I have used this brush once so far. So, this is just my initial impressions. The loft of this brush is longer than I expected. Does this affect anything? Who the heck knows? Just a visual observation on my part. Do I like it? Hell yeah!

The brush is also more prickly than I expected. This is very good for me. I was afraid that the brush would be SOOOOOO luxurious that I would not feel anything. Not so! Just the right amount of prickly and the right amount of softness.

Performance.........:confused: :confused: :confused: I can't think of enough good things to say about this brush's performance. I will obviously have to use it more before I make my final decision. But......this may just replace the Chubby 1 Super and PJ2 Super as my new #1 and #2.

IMHO...it gets better with use...

I am having trouble picking up another brush since I received mine a few weeks ago. I was also a little afraid that the brush would be a little too soft but find it to be just the texture I was hoping to get. It seems to lather either soap or cream equally well and makes mounds of lather.
And, did I say: I really like this brush.
Thanks again to everyone involved in putting this buy together!

I have used mine four times so far, and initially I was preparing to slam the brush. I had months of hype and excitement to build upon, so, perhaps I was surprised when I opened the package and, well, its a brush. Not ten feet tall, a choir of angels did not sing when opened the brush, contrary to what I was expecting. It stank. Badly.
However, first impressions aside, I will say each time I've used the brush, the experience has been better than the last. The smell is now down to the level of a new Omega boar brush (when new it smelled WORSE!) so already there has been an improvement in that regard. The brush seemed fairly small when I opened it, even considering the fact it had not bloomed. I was, honestly, underwhelmed by my first impression.
Thankfully, first impressions aren't everything.
The brush is starting to smell nicer, it has bloomed, and now appears much larger than I initially thought it was, and while the knot seemed a little floppy to me (honestly it still does) the brush produces a great lather, in excess of what I expected from a brush this size, almost effortlessly...My brush is about a week old (to me) now, and I like it much better today than the day I opened the package.
So, while it was a rough start for the brush (it's hard for ANYTHING to live up to the waiting and excitement this one had to live up to) it's now starting to earn my appreciation by its own merit.
The brush works great, great job on the brush guys,
I'm quite happy with it.
John P.

I was surprised when I opened the package and, well, its a brush. Not ten feet tall, a choir of angels did not sing when opened the brush, contrary to what I was expecting.

John P.

WHA WHA WHAT???

I heard angels.

Well after one use, this thing has bloomed. Huge.....freakin' HUGE. I am quite surprised because it is the same knot size as my other brushes, which have not bloomed nearly as much.

This brush just covers my face in prickly heaven.

This brush also has a very nice resilient feel to it.

I've had mine about 7 or 8 days now and have to say it certainly is a looker and does a fine job of building lather. I really don't think it can be classified as a finest, at least not to the standards of a Rooney Finest or a Simpson or Plisson. I don't want to make this sound like I don't like the brush because I really do but I think compared to what I have right now it kind of fits in the lower middle of my rotation. It certainly beats the Vulfix and comes in just a tad below a few custom brushes made by matt at shavethebadger.com. I have a rooney finest #2 and simpson chubby #2 super and it doesn't really compare to those which I think are the ideal brushes.

I think all in all for what we paid we got a good brush for a fair price and I'll leave it at that.

I just got both my Finest in ebony and my Silvertip in horn today.

I think I have a "rare - better than new" Silvertip though! One side of the handle says Finest and the other says Silvertip! How's THAT for rare?? :biggrin:

Anyhow - I gave them both a run with QED's "Special 218" soap. I was VERY impressed! Both brushes bloomed like crazy and made a mountain of lather in no time. Yes, the smell was there but no worse than any other badger B.O. that I've encountered. Also, there was as much an aroma of chemicals as of badger (perhaps epoxy or some such thing?). A few run-ins with QED Sandalwood will take care of that, post-haste.

They also made the glycerin-based soap VERY happy as they both hold a lot of water. The handles are so heavy, that I daresay the brush is a little prone to falling over in my lather bowl (I stand the brush up bristles-down in the lather while shaving). A minor quibble at best!! Man - do these brushes BLOOM (as in ka-BLOOM!!)!

I was very careful as to what my expectations would be after a six week, hype-filled wait...

I have to say - that I am VERY pleased. If these brushes get better with use (as the consensus seems to suggest) - I can't imagine what the next few shaves will be like.

I am thrilled beyond my expectations! Thanks to all involved! These are phenomenal products.:thumbup:

Top Bottom