What's new

Dinner Rolls

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Piping hot sweet baby's of pull apart pillows of bread. Easy but not fast. The reward is a smile from family members who make yum sounds. :001_smile

Here's the video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=48jTPkCapIE

$image.jpg

3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 large egg
1 cup of warm water
1 Packet of active yeast
1/3 cup of sugar
2 Tablespoons of olive oil

Warm water to 110F add suger and yeast and whisk let sit for 10 minutes. Sift flour into large bowl. Add all ingredients together and mix. Dump out onto floured countertop and knead for 8 minutes. Stick back into bowl with a little oil and proof for 1 hour. Separate into 12 equal portions and roll into balls. Place balls onto parchment paper that's been sprayed with nonstick spray...place into large casserole dish. Let proof for 40 minutes. Place in 375F oven for 15-18 minutes.

Last edited:
I've been making no-knead bread for three years and love it. Those rolls look fantastic. I think I need to expand my carb baking horizons. Thanks for posting!

Aaron, they look fantastic and I would guess they are airy light and flaky inside. My wife's mother and grandmother taught me how and they really pounded it into me that for hot rolls the KISS principle comes into play. Theirs look much like yours.

When it came time to form them and pan them up, they emphatically made me pour a coating of oil on the bottom of the baking pan and toss the rolls in and shake them around til coated. Bake til well browned. Done. Delicious....And now I am expected to make them for all holiday meals!

We would love to give it a try but Baking in Colorado never works out for the wife. And I'll tried myself and it just dont work. The elevation keeps the wife from baking. I think she using it as an excuse but I tried too and no go. Stuff never rises.

Thay look pretty and I bet are great, We will use the package kind like always. Thats ok as I do like them.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
We kept two back for the chef and his favorite female sidekick. Butter was close so we used it, but not really needed. They may not make it to their final destination.

The roll is such an important part of the meal that is going to happen this Thursday. Usually my mother in-law brings the rolls and they are store bought. Well enough is enough... I told my wife to tell her mom to bring a salad. And I gave the roll duties to my grandma this year, because I know she will deliver the perfect home made rolls.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
These were so good last year that they are at the top of the list just behind eating apple pie and taking a nap.

...oh no, I've started a tradition.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Fresh bread is hard to beat. In our family it is a tradition to brush on a bit of melted butter. I don't know why this started as I don't think this is a very common practice these days.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Fresh bread is hard to beat. In our family it is a tradition to brush on a bit of melted butter. I don't know why this started as I don't think this is a very common practice these days.
You guessed it. I used melted butter on all the rolls. It adds a little color maybe a little flavor.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

We always brush the top with butter, but that's a carryover from Mom, Grandma, etc. We're having cornbread today though.

Top Bottom