What's new

Dinner Rolls

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
First proof going on. @DoctorShavegood - how did they come out using that dish? I am leaning that direction.
I have two of those 8X12 glass pans. One is holding turkey breasts, and one has the stiuffing, so it looks like cookie sheet and parchment paper.

On edit: whomever invented the dough hook for the KitchenAid is a genius. I used it to mix up the dough before kneading. Perfect.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My first successful bread product not using a bread machine and a mix. Very tasty, and the house smells good

The wife just tried one. She said it reminded her of the ones they used to serve at school. She used to love those.
8254CE47-729C-4D65-823C-F4DB6182D023.jpeg

Last edited:
Owen, it keeps getting easier the more you do it. I made our rolls again this year and while a bit braggadocios, I have to declare total triumph. When the wife and her mother both tell you the rolls were 'just like Grandma Bird's' you know you nailed it. My wife's granny bird(nickname) was THE dinner roll maker in her family. No one bothered with anyone else's rolls. We always just adked for hers. I'm standing in tall cotton this week boyo!

My dinner roll recipe is similar, though I use warm milk instead of warm water. I made a test pan tonight, and they were declared good to go. I just polished off one slathered with some jalapeno pimento cheese for an evening snack, and they are indeed pretty good.

My dinner rolls are always a big hit -- 2 cups of milk, scalded and cooled, a lump of butter (around half a stick, not critical), half a teaspoon of salt if using salted butter, teaspoon if using unsalted (measured in my palm, not with a spoon), a dash of dry yeast (I buy it by the pound) and enough King Arthur bread flour to make a soft dough. Run in the Kitchen Aid until it looks right (6 or 7 minutes I guess, I've never timed it).

Pull the dough hook off, cover with a damp towel, let it rise until quite doubled, punch down, make rolls of some sort (usually more or less equal sized buns these days, have done Parker House and other styles) and put on a bake sheet or two on parchment paper. Let rise a while until definitely larger, bake at 375 or 400F until nicely browned.

I don't measure while making bread all that much, just the liquid to control batch size, and do the rest by eye. Forty years of baking bread every week, I can do this in my sleep.

I very rarely use sugar in anything called "bread" -- I don't care for super sweet bread and plain yeast bread is sweet enough when properly chewed. Sweet rolls get more butter and about 1/4 cup of sugar for this sized batch, like doughnuts they should be rich, not sugary in my book.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Yes, that wonderful smell hung around for a couple of hours. I had them in the warmer drawer under the oven and my dogs were going nuts trying to figure out where the smell was coming from!

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Nice. I'm a little ashamed to admit that it was brown and serve pull apart rolls for our Thanksgiving dinner this year but I was a little pressed for time. Maybe I'll make another batch of these for 'leftover day' :)

Top Bottom