What's new

Difficult Soaps To Lather

Hi everyone,

Mitchell’s Wool Fat has the reputation of being a soap that’s difficult to get a good lather for a lot of people. What other soaps tend to be more difficult?

I have learned so much from you all. Thank you!

For me, MWF is just like the TOBS hard soaps: put a badger to it, no problem! I hear Williams is like that too.

I use Tabac, MdC, and Proraso, so never have to worry about making lather in no time at all.

I have a puck of Edwin Jagger sandalwood soap somewhere in the back of a drawer. Not completely useless but more effort to lather than it was worth.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I find any soap that has olive oil in it hard to get a good lather. It looks okay and then you go to apply the lather and it almost disappears before your very eyes.

I find any soap that has olive oil in it hard to get a good lather. It looks okay and then you go to apply the lather and it almost disappears before your very eyes.

+1! ‘Olive oil is a lather killer!’ At least IME.

MWF and Williams (especially vintage) lather just fine for me. :clap: :clap:

Anyone tried to lather Geo f Trumper soap pucks. I've had no luck. The only lasting lather it will produce is foamy crap. Add more soap it dries out. More water no lather but lots of slickness. I have many soaps rarely have lathering issues. I've bowl lathered it and tried face lathering no luck. Even used distilled water.

Ogallala, Williams, and Marvy soaps. Foamy, dissipating lather that one can shave with but not as enjoyable as others.

For me, Williams Mug Soap is perhaps the hardest to lather. However, part of the difficult is that I do not use it very often and the puck dries out between uses. Many who are successful with soaps like Williams and Mitchells use the soap frequently, perhaps even daily.

It takes a lot more work to develop a lather with Williams than most other soaps. I am just not willing to exert that effort. I like soaps that will whip up a smooth lather quickly.

I don't have any difficult to lather soaps like MWF, but Lisa's Naturals don't lather all that well for me.
But with all soaps I load HEAVY anyway. I'm not trying to save soap and a heavy load seems
to prevent the issue.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Your water will play a big role in this. If you have soft water, you probably won’t notice much of a difference.

if you have hard water, some soaps will be more difficult.

the best example that I can give is LaToja shave stick. In soft water, it works really well. I moved and now have hard water. That soap is really different now. Thin lather, harder, more efforts to get an okay lather.

i had a lot of comments about it when I posted about that and many referred to bad technique. I mean, I used the soap for 30 days straight so I doubt that technique is an issue. On top, i used it with soft water for a good while without issues. Sure, I have to use it differently, use more product to get a decent lather.

for sure, you can use a kettle with distilled water if you really want *that* soap. There are so many choices ont the market today that finding a similar scent is easy.

Anyone tried to lather Geo f Trumper soap pucks. I've had no luck. The only lasting lather it will produce is foamy crap. Add more soap it dries out. More water no lather but lots of slickness. I have many soaps rarely have lathering issues. I've bowl lathered it and tried face lathering no luck. Even used distilled water.

I found this too with there non-tallow formulas. I just learned to love the ugly lather since it's probalby the slickest lather I've ever experienced.

For me, Williams Mug Soap is perhaps the hardest to lather. However, part of the difficult is that I do not use it very often and the puck dries out between uses. Many who are successful with soaps like Williams and Mitchells use the soap frequently, perhaps even daily.

It takes a lot more work to develop a lather with Williams than most other soaps. I am just not willing to exert that effort. I like soaps that will whip up a smooth lather quickly.
I find Williams easy to lather. I had slot of trouble at first. But I learned one simple fact. It's a thirsty soap. It likes to run a little wet. After it lathers add a few extra drops of water. If it feels like you have a perfect lather with it, add a little more water.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I find MWF easy to lather but don’t find Williams to be worth the trouble. One day it is fine next day not so much. Damn,
I forgot the question.

I have a home water softener and still have issues with Mystic Waters shave stick. Not sure if I'd have better results with the puck or not, but out of the 4 shaves I've had with it, I recall only one of them giving me lather I'm used to getting with other soaps. I'd also put D.R. Harris Arlington up there. I've only used a handful of times, and I'm told the soap may need to be used on a more regularly basis or go through a break-in period before the magic starts to happen.

Dear B&Bers,
I do not have MWF which is often stated to be hard to lather.
I had some lathering issue with DR HARRIS and Stirling.
I bloom soaps with a tea spoon water when taking a shower, everything goes fine.
Just my 2 cents.
Hope blooming works.

Top Bottom