What's new

Difference in Shavemac 177 silvertip in 23mm vs. 21mm knot?

I prefer to keep my knots about 24mm. Going to 26 or even 27mm just makes a brush too large for me...both with the increased handle size and knot size. A viable option if you wish to have the feel of a large brush is to go with the extreme flat top that shavemac offers. A 21 or 22mm flat top will probably come close to the feel of a typical 24mm knot but without the additional expense. I have a 24mm two band flat top and it has the feel of a much larger knot, but with a smaller handle and cheaper price. Great if you're a face latherer.

I have a 23mm 177. The loft is long (almost 60mm) which makes a brush with very few backbone and massage feeling on the face.

It is a great bowl latherer with good flow through but almost impossible to face lather with (YMMV).

This put aside, a wonderful hair, very well made knot and a very soft feel on the face.

If you want something more versatile, ask Bernd at Shavemac for a custom made brush with a shorter loft. His D01 is more expensive and his finest the best deal unless you look for the silver tip softness.

I have a 23mm 177. The loft is long (almost 60mm) which makes a brush with very few backbone and massage feeling on the face.

It is a great bowl latherer with good flow through but almost impossible to face lather with (YMMV).

This put aside, a wonderful hair, very well made knot and a very soft feel on the face.

If you want something more versatile, ask Bernd at Shavemac for a custom made brush with a shorter loft. His D01 is more expensive and his finest the best deal unless you look for the silver tip softness.

Cyril is your DO1 Im awaiting a 23 mm bulb,53mm loft in his finest I like versatility both soaps cream,,...:001_smile

Last edited:
The difference in knot size generally means it covers more of your face at once. Everybody has a preference, but generally, I like smaller knots as they allow me to move the brush around more (to lift the beard) and avoid getting lather up my nose, in my ears, and all over the place.

Top Bottom