What's new

Did I do ok on this "NEW"

I bought this New over the weekend from a friend that has a small antique shop. I paid $24 for it and normally I wouldn’t spend that much but her shop is struggling and she has been very good about finding razors and stuff for me. Did I do ok or should I just chalk this up as my good deed for the day? The razor is actually in pretty good shape besides needing cleaned. There is no obvious plate loss and no bent teeth. It is hard to tell from the picture but the case is brass.

What do you think?

I added a pic of the inside of the case. It it is in good shape.

full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
The Thin Bar handle is much rarer then the Fat version.
Out of the drawer full of Bar handles I've acquired I've only come across 4 of the Thin ones.
I usually pay form between $10 and $15 for NEWs but got a nice short comb version which are also rarer then the long combs, a nice case and a rare handle so I'd say you did yourself proud.
Bob.

The Thin Bar handle is much rarer then the Fat version.
Out of the drawer full of Bar handles I've acquired I've only come across 4 of the Thin ones.
I usually pay form between $10 and $15 for NEWs but got a nice short comb version which are also rarer then the long combs, a nice case and a rare handle so I'd say you did yourself proud.
Bob.

Wow, I had no idea. I guess it was a good idea to help Diane out. Thanks for the response.

If you are ever in doubt, it is always a good idea to help local business. Especially one of the good guys/gals.

I don't hesitate to pick up something local for a couple of bucks more. :thumbup1:

If you are ever in doubt, it is always a good idea to help local business. Especially one of the good guys/gals.

I don't hesitate to pick up something local for a couple of bucks more. :thumbup1:

That is a very good point, I stop in her shop as often as I can and she usually has found something for me. I try to buy what she has so I end up with a lot of stuff I really don't need but it helps her out in the end.

People who collect vintage saxophones say that the case condition usually is a good match for the condition of the sax. That has been my experience with vintage items of all kinds. Do you have the same experience with razors?

Nice Score!!! :thumbup1:

My personal gauge for a New . . . is there any plating left on the cap? Most are copper colored because of extreme plating wear.

Yours is still nicely plated, and you have a case to boot. Throw in a thin-bar handle, and it is un-freaking-believable!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

People who collect vintage saxophones say that the case condition usually is a good match for the condition of the sax. That has been my experience with vintage items of all kinds. Do you have the same experience with razors?

Actually I don't have many razors that have cases. But you are correct, usually if a razor has been taken care of so was the case. It is different with the plastic cases. The plastic cases were not made to last, IMHO, they were just a way to hold the razor and are often cracked or have broken hinges.

Good deal for both of you. I have a few small shops that keep their eyes open for the things I am looking for. When they come up with something, I usually buy it, sometimes just because I don't want to discourage them.

Top Bottom