What's new

Diamond sharpening stone

Today i recieved as a gift from a frend of mine , this diamond sharpening stone , sell in LIDL for a 9 or 10 $.
It arrived suprisingly , with a brand new rusian 6/8 Stolichnaia razor .
The razor was with 2,5 - 3 mm chips from pensil sharpening atempts . I love pensils , but i hate pensil sharpeners that destroy razors . I grind the blade doun 2,7 mm to clean the edge , and to smoothe the new diamond plates a litle bit .
At the end i put 1 piece of tape on the back / as aways / and in a 25 light strokes i set the bevel roufghtly at the finer 600 grit side of the stone .
Honnestly , i was impresed from the speed of the bevel seting , i think i will use it again. I often buy damaged old razors and i hone them and use them . In other words i often remove 1 to 3 mm chips from razors . I needed this also for lapping my stones quickly than the sandpaper .
Any of you gentelmans has any clue or impresions from this diamond sharpening stone - 4 sides 200 , 300 , 400 and 600 .
Any advise or sugestions , this is my first dmt stone , i was using 400 grit carbocorund or a diamond file for theese purposes until now .

Sharpening Stone 2014 Rushed Real Ceramic Knives Whetstone Kitchen free Shipping 4 sided Diamond Hone Block Knife for Sharpener-in Sharpeners from Home & Garden on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I have a simular hone from harbor frieght. It's not perfectly flat and actually has a little give as you hone on it. It helps to remove deep chips, but a real stone or lapping film on glass is needed for a more refined edge

but a real stone or lapping film on glass is needed for a more refined edge

i dont have lapping film but i have over 30 diferent hones , i didnt have diamond plate untill now

For lapping you need at least a DMT 8C(325 grit). Most cheap diamond plates are no where near flat enough.

It is worth spending the extra money to ensure your expensive finishing stones are performing at their best.

+1, I use 220 grit sic powder and then clean up with my atomas. I find 600 to be acceptable for most stones. My jnats get a working over with naguras and tomos etc.

Yes i also clean and lapp my stones with SIC powder 220 and 400 sometimes whwn i want a beter finish on a hard stone i use AL oxide , because it is softer and it grinds itseld slowly to a higher grit . For a base i have ceramic plates for citchen or bathroom floor , or a granite and marble plates , glass everything .
When i am in hurry i use sandpaper on a glass base - works marvelous for lappins small stones fine finish on the stone .
I just was thinking that because everyone use diamond plates , that they are most suitable , but im not in that opinion after tryng them - carborundum powder is the best thing ever . It is a litle messy but goood .

Top Bottom