What's new

Dexutter's Shave Journal

Nice reads and shaves! Congratulations on finishing the Bootlegger Willy, thus completing the 3017.
I really enjoyed using the Proraso after I finished, no muss, no fuss, just a great shave!

Catching up a bit, Brent. It is nice to have a morning shave to take your mind off the craziness of life! Even if it is for only 20 minutes or so.

Good Morning, gents! A couple shaves in the books since the last post!

Sunday afternoon / Tuesday Morning SOTD
My week with @CBLindsay 's Veg!
A tale of two 40's

Razor: Gillette 40's SS NDC / Gillette 40's SS W1

Blade: GSB / Gillette Bleue Extra

Soap: Chris L.'s Veg 3.0

Brush: TGN Finest in Ever-Ready / VS Synth in Ever-Ready

AS: THE VEG / Pinaud Clubman

We have entered the Super Speed Collection. It starts with 2 40's Super Speeds. These were some of my early acquisitions, the NDC 40's was my 3rd or 4th vintage razor. The W1 I found walking through the garage sale section of a huge antique store back in Co Springs, cased and all! They are great razors, no real difference between the two, but I love using them!
Oh buddy, the soap! Chris - very well done! It's been a while since I've had a soap with such awesome latherability. A few swirls with a damp brush and bam, thick soap! Add a bit of water, tons of lather! Excellent lather too! The scent is very faithful to the Veg. A bit powdery, with a nice floral scent. Not as much residual slickness as some soaps, but with the lather explosion, I just used more for my touch ups. The post-shave face feel is amazing as well! No tightness or drying out. My face just feels smooth. Smooth and clean. On Sunday I tossed on some Veg and it paired perfectly! Today, I used Clubman (wanted to add powder to powder) and it smells fantastic. I may try a WH only AS this week to see how long the scent from the soap lasts. Seriously awesome soap, thanks Chris!

IMG_0252.JPG

Very kind words sir. I think your assessment of the soap is quite similar to Dave's. The residual slickness is improved over older versions but could still be much better.

40's superspeed!

Very nice summary of the shaves. His soap is fantastic. I may use it later this week and pair it with some Tabac AS to get that tabacaveg thing going.

Great shaves, Brent.

CBL's soaps sound great. Also, with the right blade, I think the 40's Super Speeds are great shavers. I now have several of them (3 NDC plus a few others).

Good Stuff Brent, Be careful however the Veg is an evil mistress and demands loyalty, be careful when pairing something else with her soap essence. She can exact a pretty severe revenge. As Far as I know from the "Secret Vegetal Codex" Only Pinaud Lilac Vegetal and TabacaVeg are guaranteed not to cause apocalyptic results to the Space Time Vegetinuum. So Be cautious my friend, LOL Nice Reads!

Very kind words sir. I think your assessment of the soap is quite similar to Dave's. The residual slickness is improved over older versions but could still be much better.

40's superspeed!

40's SS for the win! I love the stuff! I've pushed the residual slickness this week a bit - the razor feels like it doesn't glide perfectly, but if I go light pressure - it's still plenty to clean up. That being said, I still add some more lather because a) theres a ton, and b) it smells so good!

Good Stuff Brent, Be careful however the Veg is an evil mistress and demands loyalty, be careful when pairing something else with her soap essence. She can exact a pretty severe revenge. As Far as I know from the "Secret Vegetal Codex" Only Pinaud Lilac Vegetal and TabacaVeg are guaranteed not to cause apocalyptic results to the Space Time Vegetinuum. So Be cautious my friend, LOL Nice Reads!

AV Ice Blue behaved! I'm a gutsy man!

Even though I remain "not chosen" regarding the a/s, I do like the CBL Veg 3.0 soap.

It's excellent, bummer about not being chosen, though...

Oh geez - I keep getting behind!

SOTD Wednesday and Thursday
My week with @CBLindsay 's Veg!
Staying powder / Aqua Vega

Razor: Gillette 40's SS Black Tip/ Gillette Flare Tip SS

Blade: GSB

Soap: Chris L.'s Veg 3.0

Brush: TGN Boar / TGN Finest in Rubberset

AS: Witch Hazel / AV Ice Blue

The shaves have been great. I love the black tip SS - feels just like the other 40's but with a bit of pizzazz. The boar has struggled with some soaps to pick up enough to last 3-3.5 passes - not so with the veg. It loaded up and had tons left over! I thought I'd try and see how the soap scent did on its own! I added some Witch Hazel (unscented) and that was it. The scent hung around for a couple hours (realllllll light) and was great! The powder settles and the lilac comes out a bit more.
The flare tip SS is my least favorite of the SSs. It's still a great, consistent, razor, but the blade always feels a bit rough and unstable in it. I think the blade angle is just off for me, but I get great shaves with the red and blues, so I don't quite get it. Anyway - AV covered the Veg really well, no odd off-scents. I don't think I'd mix veg AS with AV, but the soap sits so calmly under the spice of the AV that it makes for a really clean version of lilac. Worth a try!

IMG_0259.JPG
IMG_0264.JPG

Life stuff: Had a couple, somewhat emotional, days this week. Trying to get a handle on all the decisions I've got to make in the next couple weeks. Picking out equipment for a dream office is fun; picking out equipment for a realistic office is much more stressful... Trying to reconcile ~80k of a 500k budget is proving to be rough. We've had a bit of an issue with the consultants we've been using, and had a long convo with the owner. Great results from the conversation, but the process is being changed a bit for us. Anyway - hopefully things smooth out a bit and I can get some negotiation power back in the process (construction and equipment reps are much better and getting money from me than I'd like to admit...) Happy Saturday to you all!

Attachments

• IMG_0259.JPG
    IMG_0259.JPG
    185.3 KB · Views: 1
Nice read Brent. Sounds like you have some stressful decisions still to be made too. Hope your wife is healing well also.

Glad the veg has worked for you. I have a clubman version about ready to roll out, I'll have to make sure you get some.

I know a dentist that used to work for my dad. He opened his own office and spent about $500k on some pretty great stuff but including games for each chair. Sounds like fun ...but oh so stressful. You'll get there soon and you'll be HAPPY.

Good luck with the office stuff - oy, sounds stressful indeed. Here's an idea: take a large bottle of the Veg next time and you'll have all the power!

Top Bottom