What's new

Detroit, MI

I’ll be roaming around Detroit soon. First trip. Specifically, we’ll be in Farmington Hills with stops in Birmingham and West Bloomfield Township. Any must sees? What about a good spot for Detroit pizza? Down for any suggestions! Thanks!

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I lived a bit south of Detroit in the late 90s/early 2000's. At this time the city was a place one did not go if you had not to. The towns you mention are north and are good areas. Never heard of Detroit pizza, but a Coney Island is something that is special to this area: a hot dog with chilli and onions. I would visit the Ford Museum in Dearborn, this is definitely worth a visit!! We have been there many of times. The Detroit Institute of Arts is also worth visiting. The city got better before we moved back to NJ, in 2006. I remember one occasion I had gone to Public Lumber (great wood store) on 7 Mile. They asked me where I parked, and I said just outside on the street. Was told to move my car asap to their parking lot as my car would not be there when I come out of the store if left on the street. The parking lot was fenced in with NATO razor wire on top and armed guard......
Saw some good hockey there, though.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Rick:
1702063965640.png
You 'gotta' see the Red Wings at the Little Caesars_Arena.
proxy.php

Also, like my friend Rudy stated above...no trip / visit / vacation to Detroit would be worth it if you didn't have a dog at American Coney Island or Lafayette Coney Island just down the street on Lafayette Street downtown (the rivalry goes wayyyy back). :drool:

proxy.php

1702064363725.png
"[Other states are] beautiful to look at, but you can't be a part of it like you can in [‘Pure Michigan’]...” Jennifer Granholm

Attachments

• 1702065610082.jpeg
    1702065610082.jpeg
    30.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
For Detroit style Pizza, Buddy's and Shields are the most well known and have multiple locations throughout the metro area.

Downtown and Midtown are a lot safer now than they used to be for tourist-type activity but you still need to be aware of your surroundings like any major city.

As far as specific activities go, it really depends what you like doing. For example, if someone likes art and museums I would suggest going to the Detroit Institute of Arts and plan on spending a couple of hours there. Not everyone likes that stuff though.

Rudy Vey

For Detroit style Pizza, Buddy's and Shields are the most well known and have multiple locations throughout the metro area.

Downtown and Midtown are a lot safer now than they used to be for tourist-type activity but you still need to be aware of your surroundings like any major city.

As far as specific activities go, it really depends what you like doing. For example, if someone likes art and museums I would suggest going to the Detroit Institute of Arts and plan on spending a couple of hours there. Not everyone likes that stuff though.
The inner city became better just before we moved away in 2006. Before, if we came back from Canada and missed the entrance to the free way, you had to go through some bad areas, I remember running stop signs and red lights (after checking no one is coming), otherwise, you may get killed....But, never had a Detroit Pizza, but I lived downriver anyways. What I remember well is fish fries on Fridays in my local diner, perch....one of the best fish to eat. I agree on the DIA, we went there a few times, and also the Ford museum.

The inner city became better just before we moved away in 2006. Before, if we came back from Canada and missed the entrance to the free way, you had to go through some bad areas, I remember running stop signs and red lights (after checking no one is coming), otherwise, you may get killed....But, never had a Detroit Pizza, but I lived downriver anyways. What I remember well is fish fries on Fridays in my local diner, perch....one of the best fish to eat. I agree on the DIA, we went there a few times, and also the Ford museum.
I lived in the area off and on since the early 80s. Lived in both the city and the suburbs. I also worked for an organization involved in downtown development at one point and lived near the Ren Cen.

My father grew up in the city in the 40s and 50s and his family was in the area before WW1.

I honestly don't know how you would have missed Detroit-style Pizza. Downriver is a very different place from the city and some of the northern suburbs but surely you would have driven by a Buddy's, Jet's, Shields, Green Lantern, etc. while driving around the Metro area.

Another type of food that the Metro area is known for is Middle Eastern food. It used to be centered around Dearborn but you can find it in any larger suburb now across the area - been that way for decades now.

Rudy Vey

I lived in the area off and on since the early 80s. Lived in both the city and the suburbs. I also worked for an organization involved in downtown development at one point and lived near the Ren Cen.

My father grew up in the city in the 40s and 50s and his family was in the area before WW1.

I honestly don't know how you would have missed Detroit-style Pizza. Downriver is a very different place from the city and some of the northern suburbs but surely you would have driven by a Buddy's, Jet's, Shields, Green Lantern, etc. while driving around the Metro area.

Another type of food that the Metro area is known for is Middle Eastern food. It used to be centered around Dearborn but you can find it in any larger suburb now across the area - been that way for decades now.
The latter food I know well, we used to go to Al Sultan on Inkster Rd in Garden City. Loved this place, we went there at least once a week. Even when I visited after we moved, I always made sure to stop by there. My dentist took me to a few other places in Dearborn. My wife and I love Mid-eastern food a lot.

The latter food I know well, we used to go to Al Sultan on Inkster Rd in Garden City. Loved this place, we went there at least once a week. Even when I visited after we moved, I always made sure to stop by there. My dentist took me to a few other places in Dearborn. My wife and I love Mid-eastern food a lot.

Another thing Garden City has is one of the few authentic West African restaurants in the state. It's called KG's African and is much better than the overhyped Maty's. My spouse is from that part of the world and said the food is on point.

If you want to try something completely different go there and order Thieboudienne (sometimes this is spelled differently FYI), which is the national dish of Senegal. You can get it as a dine-in or carryout. They also have strong hibiscus and ginger drinks behind the counter in a small fridge.

For anyone that likes record/music stores, you can go up to Dearborn and check out Dearborn Music. Probably the largest store of its type in the area. They also have a smaller location in Farmington Hills.

….and I appreciate your recommendations!!!

I really want to see the Rivera murals before heading home.

For folks ever visiting the area that have young children: take them to the Hands On Museum in Ann Arbor, about 1 hour from Detroit or the surround suburbs. It's like nothing else. When I worked in public schools we took a class there and they loved it. Also took my nephew there a few years ago and he had a blast.

For people that like art, U of M in Ann Arbor has a much smaller art museum than the DIA but it's also very good and worth seeing. Exhibits rotate there.

There is also Cranbrook in Bloomfield which has a couple smaller museums on their campus. They also do architecture tours on the campus that are neat.

Top Bottom