What's new

Designer badgers

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I commented somewhat digressively in another thread regarding the prospects for detailed genotypic analysis as well as the selective cloning of badgers (e.g., for the sake of restoring the Old Rooney Finest line). That, of course, would be wonderful -- and hardly objectionable.

But it also started me thinking about where that might ultimately lead. No great leap would be required to move from 1) responsible resurrection of naturally evolved but sadly extinguished badger lines to 2) unscrupulous (if not unholy) development of novel designer badgers. God only knows what that might produce. Yeats comes to mind:

“Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world.”

I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that the North Koreans are already doing it. Has anyone noticed the BBS shaves they always appear to have in group photos (see below)? (And just imagine crossing a badger with a unicorn!)

So I thought it might be timely to initiate a thread for serious discussion of the exciting potential as well as the moral and ethical implications of genetically engineered designer badgers. Consideration of the attending risks of geo-political and/or economic instability would also be on-topic.

$Kim Jong Un North Korea 021.jpg

Last edited:

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
You mean some kinda badger-raccoon cross? My problem with using raccoons is that I raises two when I was a kid, so I have somewhat tender feelings toward them.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
You mean some kinda badger-raccoon cross? My problem with using raccoons is that I raises two when I was a kid, so I have somewhat tender feelings toward them.

Maybe if you raise the badgers by hand you could just give them a hair cut. :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I commented somewhat digressively in another thread regarding the prospects for detailed genotypic analysis as well as the selective cloning of badgers (e.g., for the sake of restoring the Old Rooney Finest line). That, of course, would be wonderful -- and hardly objectionable.

I object.

God only knows what that might produce. Yeats comes to mind:

“Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world
Even Yeats agrees.

Those badgers are cute! I had no idea.

Speaking of raccoons, we had one when I was a child: Tiki was his name. He slept indoors. He could climb up on the kitchen counters, open the cabinets, get out a box of cereal, open it up, and scoop out the contents. He was very intelligent and knew that he needed to turn the front door knob to get outside (he would stand on an end table next to the door and grab the knob with both front paws)...

Top Bottom