What's new

DE's and Boot Camp

I'm afraid you will have to go with a cartridge of some sort in basic. However, usually there is more free time in the evenings. You could take that time to do a 3-4 pass shave in the evening and have much less to do in the morning. With a 3-4 pass shave, you should be able to get BBS shave that lasts rather nicely. Then with a touchup in the morning you will be ready to rock.

Nix the DE - no time, not worth being singled out.

What I would do is try to get some of the best goo in a can or brushless cream you can to get as good a shave as possible.

As for a razor, I suggest the Sensor as one of the best cartridge razors out there - but you'll likely want to try a couple of brands/styles first.

I think its funny that the military would say no to DE blades and then go out and issue you a big ol' bayonet!

Nix the DE - no time, not worth being singled out.

What I would do is try to get some of the best goo in a can or brushless cream you can to get as good a shave as possible.

As for a razor, I suggest the Sensor as one of the best cartridge razors out there - but you'll likely want to try a couple of brands/styles first.

I think its funny that the military would say no to DE blades and then go out and issue you a big ol' bayonet!

I completely agree with that assessment of bayonet vs. DE...BUT Boot Camp is completely a head game, and it's about taking people (young men and women primarily) who are learning to be independent and making them completely and unquestioningly subject to authority/ideas/someone else's mindset, etc.

I doubt very seriously if you have any choice in what razor you'll have. You'll be given a bucket or some similar container, and you'll walk through a line where someone will toss in soap, toothbrush, toothpaste (whatever they choose), a comb-- (oh wait, you won't NEED the comb:lol:) a razor, some shaving cream or Edge Gel, and that's about all they'll think you need.

Do you think they'll give you any choice on clothing? "I wear a 32 waist, and I have a 30 inch inseam." "No...now you wear a 36/42." "I wear size 10D shoes." "No...I think today you'll be wearing 12 EEE."

Welcome to the cruel world of boot camp, Ricky Recruit. You are wholly owned by your Uncle Sam. You signed the paper.

If you showed up with a 150.00 pocket knife, it would be confiscated, and you will NEVER see it again. Same with your razor. Don't take it. Don't even take a Bible, because they'll take that-- (although they'll give you a nice little regulation size mini-New Testament!)

Finally-- ASK your recruiter what you can take to boot camp. Fair winds and following seas!:001_rolle

It won't be quite as bad as Mr. Gillette's version of boot camp, but there won't be any DE shaving, or two shaves a day. They will most likely inspect your gear (or otherwise make people 'fess up to any items they brought) and take anything they don't want you to have: meds, knives, mouthwash, etc. I'm pretty sure you'd lose your DE if you tried to take it. I recall them taking anything that wasn't issued to you, even things like dog tag silencers.

For the first few weeks, you and all your shipmates will all be trying desperately to get your three S's in 5 minutes all at the same time and you'll likely be standing around one sink with 7 other guys trying to get your shaves in.

They'll let up on your schedule at some point and you may actually have a little free time in the evenings -- Once that happens, it's easier to try to get your shower and shave in at night rather than fight the crowd in the mornings.

I don't think I ever learned to get my hosptial corners right. Do lots of push ups and running before you go so that part won't be a big deal when you get there.

It won't be quite as bad as Mr. Gillette's version of boot camp, but there won't be any DE shaving, or two shaves a day. They will most likely inspect your gear (or otherwise make people 'fess up to any items they brought) and take anything they don't want you to have: meds, knives, mouthwash, etc. I'm pretty sure you'd lose your DE if you tried to take it. I recall them taking anything that wasn't issued to you, even things like dog tag silencers.

For the first few weeks, you and all your shipmates will all be trying desperately to get your three S's in 5 minutes all at the same time and you'll likely be standing around one sink with 7 other guys trying to get your shaves in.

They'll let up on your schedule at some point and you may actually have a little free time in the evenings -- Once that happens, it's easier to try to get your shower and shave in at night rather than fight the crowd in the mornings.

I don't think I ever learned to get my hosptial corners right. Do lots of push ups and running before you go so that part won't be a big deal when you get there.

Candy Asses! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

In my day, any shower over 30 seconds was considered a "Hollywood" shower. It will get better, and GOOD job for joining the Coast Guard. It's a good unit, even if it is part of the Department of Transportation!

I went through navy boot camp in 1991 and razors weren't allowed. You won't even be allowed to keep your own underwear, so don't bother packing anything you want to keep. You'll get issued a lot of gear you will promptly get rid of after boot camp.

I went through navy boot camp in 1991 and razors weren't allowed. You won't even be allowed to keep your own underwear, so don't bother packing anything you want to keep. You'll get issued a lot of gear you will promptly get rid of after boot camp.

What are you THINKING? I have itchy wool socks left over from 1981--and probably a few t-shirts and some stenciled Hane's Whitey-Tighteys. HEY...maybe I should put them on Ebay!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yea, this thread about sums up my thoughts to this issue. But I still had to ask. I live about 3 miles from the largest USCG Air Station. So I know a lot of Coasties and know pretty much how the deal goes down at boot camp. I know my original question may have seemed fairly juvenile, but it was just one of those things i knew was a stretch and had to ask.

Thanks for everyones replies!

I hate to say it, but i would probably go with electric. I havent used one for a good number of years now, but i'd imagine there has to be something decent out there. the other option, what about good old bics?

If you needed a gold Aristocrat, I would have issued you one!
I guess that just about covers what's allowed.
On a serious note, I'm sure everyone joins me (at least us Americans) in saying thank you for your commitment to keeping our country safe and best of luck in your new career.
One of my best friend's father graduated from the Coast Guard Academy and he looks back on his time in the Coast Guard as some of the best times and most rewarding times of his life.
The thing is, once boot camp's over, you'll appreciate being able to take a nice long shower and have a proper shave that much more.

All kidding aside...(if that's possible for me!) One of the disciplines that is going to be pounded into those entering the Sea Services (Navy, Marines, CG) is that water just plain isn't readily available onboard ship out at sea.

"Water water everywhere, and not a drop to drink."

You can't simply plug in a Coast Guard Cutter or a Navy Frigate or Crusier to a municipal water supply, turn on the faucet and enjoy a long shower and a 40 minute shave. Fresh water comes at a cost, and unless you want to shave in cold sea water, (and how are you going to dip it?), any time aboard ship will be spend monitoring water usage. The guys who labor over desalination equipment, etc...will probably be very happy that you don't spend your time filling and re-filling the bowl to keep your razor clean and your lather hot.

Boot camp is the transition period where this, and many other realities are introduced and begin to become a part of the fabric of your life.

Having said that-- I spent very little time aboard ship, so being on dry land, living in my own apartment, etc...I could do what I pleased, but when Uncle Sam's Canoe Club sent me out haze-grey-and-underway my showers got shorter and I opted for less water than I'd ever used in my shaving regimen.

Good luck! When do you report?

Don't try it man. The blades will be considered weapons that some guy that loses it might use to hurt themselves. On top of that you don't want anything to make you stand out from the crowd.

Just remember what everyones said here. No matter what you do..NO matter what! Your are going to be wrong the first couple of weeks. I had a hard time in basic due to my attitude. Looking back on it I laught now. Just learn the "game" and play ball till its over.

I don't think I would take a razor at all. Use whatever they issue you or sell you.
Spot on about "hollywood showers" at sea. A serious offense, I saw someone lose his stripes for it. I have spent weeks on "water hours". They turn the water on for thirty minutes in the morning and another thirty minutes in the evening. That is when you drink, shower, and shave.
Used to be you had to be six feet tall to get into the Coast Guard, so you could wade ashore if your ship sank. (Just kidding...that is an old Navy joke. I respect and admire the Coasties.)

Don't try it man. The blades will be considered weapons that some guy that loses it might use to hurt themselves. On top of that you don't want anything to make you stand out from the crowd.

Just remember what everyones said here. No matter what you do..NO matter what! Your are going to be wrong the first couple of weeks. I had a hard time in basic due to my attitude. Looking back on it I laught now. Just learn the "game" and play ball till its over.

A really good point. Our perspective changes a bit as we age. Twelve weeks can seem like an eternity, but take a mental trip-- pick out (on last year's calendar) a period of similar length. Put it into your head just how quickly that time can go by.

Learn these two facts:

1) Someone is going to say something outlandish, stupid, "wrong", illogical, inflammatory, degrading, disgusting, tantalizing, or all (or more) of the above.

2) Keep your eyes straight ahead, keep your mouth shut, hate the SOB, but keep your mouth shut. Stay out of the "thick" of things and aim to finish somewhere in the top 20% of the pack, but not too close to the top.

That's just my sage advice. Bootcamp is a place to endure, and if you can keep yourself on A- or B+ performance, you won't make any enemies on either side of that thin blue line.

YOU HAVE TWO EARS and ONE MOUTH...as the saying goes....

A really good point. Our perspective changes a bit as we age. Twelve weeks can seem like an eternity, but take a mental trip-- pick out (on last year's calendar) a period of similar length. Put it into your head just how quickly that time can go by.

Learn these two facts:

1) Someone is going to say something outlandish, stupid, "wrong", illogical, inflammatory, degrading, disgusting, tantalizing, or all (or more) of the above.

2) Keep your eyes straight ahead, keep your mouth shut, hate the SOB, but keep your mouth shut. Stay out of the "thick" of things and aim to finish somewhere in the top 20% of the pack, but not too close to the top.

That's just my sage advice. Bootcamp is a place to endure, and if you can keep yourself on A- or B+ performance, you won't make any enemies on either side of that thin blue line.

YOU HAVE TWO EARS and ONE MOUTH...as the saying goes....

I going to have to steal that "Two Ears one mouth" saying if you don't mind Mr. Gillette.

Another piece of advice. Don't volunteer for anything. The TI/DIs might ask something like "Who here is a boyscout" or some other innocent sounding question. Next thing you know your in charge of some other knucklehead recruits that get you in trouble everytime they screw up.

Good luck man. Your going to mostly likely look back and have no regrets about your time in the service.

The guys who are saying don't volunteer for anything... that's good advice. Read that part again. Don't volunteer for anything.

I remember once volunteering to be first in rotation for a sh** job. The next time it came up it got assigned to me again. "But Chief, I was the one that had to do that last time." "Good. You already know how to do it then. Go." That sh** job was mine for the duration. :biggrin:

Boot camp has several purposes and a big one is to condition you to deal with mental and physical stress. So they are going to stress you, count on it. Like the man said, you are going to be wrong no matter what you do! They are going to tromp all over your dignity and sense of justice...just remember, none of it is personal, and every GI before you went through it too..

The guys who are saying don't volunteer for anything... that's good advice. Read that part again. Don't volunteer for anything.

I remember once volunteering to be first in rotation for a sh** job. The next time it came up it got assigned to me again. "But Chief, I was the one that had to do that last time." "Good. You already know how to do it then. Go." That sh** job was mine for the duration. :biggrin:

The letters N-A-V-Y actually stand for "Never Again Volunteer Yourself.":001_rolle

Top Bottom