What's new

Derbys yay or nay?

Nyet.

Derbys are evil if you have a tough beard. If you have baby fine hair, or a shavette, they might be okay. Otherwise, forget it. YMMV. But seriously. They were my first blade. I threw them out.

:a51: << Derby

INTERESTING, my beard is FAR from baby fine and I like them and use them all the time. Now a SHARK is a different story for me, but I'm sure others love them. I think we are all different in what we like and dislike that's why we're all different.

Nay! They are smooth at times but end up pulling in others! I have found better blades for me that are just more enjoyable to use.

Yay--ish. For about 100, they were my go-to everyday blade. Now, I am simply using up my remaining stock. It's as if the Derbys I still have suffered a quality control failure; they aren't as good as the ones I first used. My blade timeline:

Dorco--yuk
Feather->faceburger
Gillette Black
Racer
Personna
Walgreens
Wilkinson
etc. no, thanks.
Merkur--great, but costly
Timor--better than Merkur (now my "high priced spread")
Derby--Yay!
Shark Super Chrome--yay!
Shark super Stainless--meh
More Derby--huh? Meh.
Shark Super Chrome-------YAAAY!

Bought a box of 100.
I use each blade once in a DE rotation and discard. They seem ok to me "for one shave anyhoo"

Yay all the way, minimal irritation and a great shave in my Weishi and 40's SuperSpeed. Though many I need to buy a new DE to confirm... you know... for science!

Nay for me!! Derby's were my first bulk blade order.
I thought the price of them was cool. The shaves usually
were NOT.
Like many others have stated, too much tugging and nicks.
I ended up giving the rest of them away..... There are
better blades out there in life...
John H.

Nay.

I have a tough beard and the Derby's tug a lot. Tried 3 different ones out of my sample pack. One did a passable job but the quality and sharpness in my opinion is quite low.

Have had better shaves with Astra (though a little aggressive) and Merkur.

I just got my DE89L with five pack of Derby's. So far no complaint. I will say that I have to perform 2 passes (WTG, XTG) to get a DFS (CBC?) shave. But my limited experience may also contribute to this. I look forward to trying my Astra SP and PolSilvers next for comparison.

Derby was my first blade. I didn't know the difference. It was fine until I tried others. I am a Feather man now.

I just got my DE89L with five pack of Derby's. So far no complaint. I will say that I have to perform 2 passes (WTG, XTG) to get a DFS (CBC?) shave. But my limited experience may also contribute to this. I look forward to trying my Astra SP and PolSilvers next for comparison.

That's how I started...Edwin Jagger and a back of Derbys. Worked fine to begin with, but now I wish they had included Astra's instead. I don't hate Derbys, I just don't love them. I just PIFed 100 of them.

I'm afraid that it is not even a good first shave with one. I tried one this morning in my Gillette Rocket HD and it did a terrible job.

Derby blades are dirt cheap, so I never counted shaves with them. I haven't used one in ages, as I found much better blades to use over time, but I didn't recall having any serious issues with them in the past.... So, since I still have nearly a hundred Derby blades in my stash, I loaded a fresh one into my razor a few minutes ago, and shaved my two day old stubble. Not too bad... Not as smooth cutting (or sounding) as an Astra SP, and it took a full three pass shave to get the desired soft stubble free shave, but there was no blood, and no drama at all. No irritation either. After shave didn't sting....

Its an OK cheap blade, and it's pretty forgiving if you are a newbie, in a hurry, or use Soft Soap Aloe hand soap in a pump bottle as a shaving soap like I do.... On the other hand, a great blade like the Astra SP is so much better, and nearly as cheap, so what's the point? I will keep my hundred pack of Derby blades in my stash for a rainy day though, as they are not bad blades, and they will still be the same years in the future!

Nay. Came with my DE89 and in my sample pack aswell. Used a pack as practice, got pretty bad shaves, but I had my technique to blame. Now, after 3 months of shaving with the ej89 and having tried 3-5 blades of each kind in my sampler (derby, astra sp, derco and IP precision (crystal in different packaging suposedly) in that order) I came back to the derbys with a better technique. All I got from the derby was tugging, less than decent closeness and burns on my neck. Threw the rest of the derbys in a corner never to try again.

Top Bottom