What's new

Derby Premium blades are not bad!

I recently finished a couple Dorko Prime blades. They were smooth, sharp and long lasting. I was impressed. Today I threw a Derby Premium in the old tech and had a spectacular smooth shave. The old Derby was not this sharp. I was really impressed again! I’m going to run this one through and see how it lasts. Impressive first shave for sure!

Anyone else like them? What’s your opinion compared to the Dorko Primes if you have tried both.

I used both and like them both equally. I find the Derby a tad smoother than the Dorco, but again YMMV.

I tried my first one last week, i enjoyed it, i was worried before hand as shaving with a derby extra was basicall giving me all the pain of a bad shave with little to no stubble reduction. Every few months I pop one in just to see if they are really as bad as I remember. And yep, they are terrible for my face. But the premium gave me a decent shav on par with the dorco 300s from vietnam, i am one of the few who likes those blades, but i was impressed, and they are cheap so i will probably order a 100 next time I order blades.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've only tried one so far, but I got 15 good shaves (and one bad one) from it. Certainly a blade that I would consider buying again.

I've only tried one so far, but I got 15 good shaves (and one bad one) from it. Certainly a blade that I would consider buying again.
Wow. I have trouble making it past 5 on most. I’m excited to see how long mine lasts. Astra SP are my current record holder at 12.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Wow. I have trouble making it past 5 on most. I’m excited to see how long mine lasts. Astra SP are my current record holder at 12.

I'm on an Astra SP right now, and today was shave #19. Shave counts are as personal as blade preferences though, so don't pay too much attention to mine. Some folks get 3, some folks get 80+

I'm on an Astra SP right now, and today was shave #19. Shave counts are as personal as blade preferences though, so don't pay too much attention to mine. Some folks get 3, some folks get 80+
Do you flip the blade or hand strop them? That’s great.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Do you flip the blade or hand strop them? That’s great.

No stropping. I flip the blade when it starts feeling scratchy, but that's because my technique tends to use one half of the blade more than the other. Flipping the blade brings the fresher half into play.

Shave 4 with CF Lavender was great. No sign of slowing down. Very smooth and comfortable.

Anyone else like them? What’s your opinion compared to the Dorko Primes if you have tried both.
Big fan of the Derby Premium blades and from my experience the best "value" blade going. If I had to make a completely abstract comparison to me a new Derby Premium feels like a Silver Blue that has a couple shaves under its belt; mellow but still sharp & smooth. Have only used the Dorko a few times and didn't particularly like it.

Don't know if I could eek out 15+ shaves like @AimlessWanderer but don't feel any financial guilt if I pitch it after 4 spins around the track.

I started a thread similar to this one a while back, and bought a box of 100 Derby premiums, and after much more use and trying a number of other blades, my opinion is the same. A very good and long-lasting blade, even though I usually don't go past 6 or 7 shaves with a single blade.

I recently finished a couple Dorko Prime blades. They were smooth, sharp and long lasting. I was impressed. Today I threw a Derby Premium in the old tech and had a spectacular smooth shave. The old Derby was not this sharp. I was really impressed again! I’m going to run this one through and see how it lasts. Impressive first shave for sure!

I've tried both and like them equally well. For me, they're above average performers. I can get 5-6 nice shaves from either blade.

Shave 4 with CF Lavender was great. No sign of slowing down. Very smooth and comfortable.
Huge fan of CF Lavender, excellent soap!!

Top Bottom