What's new

Derby Premium blades are not bad!

I used Derby Premium blades exclusively for FFFMM. After a month of using them solidly my jury is very much out. I found that they were highly variable and had shaves using them that varied from BBS to terrible. A good blade was very sharp and satisfyingly smooth - a bad one seemed to start out dull. So when they're good, they're great - but are awful when bad. YMMV but for me I can't rely on them, and that matters.

I was given a 5 pack as a sample when I ordered Wilkinson blades. Tried one today. I was impressed, more than I expected to be. Could well be adding these to my rotation.

I was given a 5 pack as a sample when I ordered Wilkinson blades. Tried one today. I was impressed, more than I expected to be. Could well be adding these to my rotation.
+1.

Before the Premiums, my only exposure to the Derby brand was Derby Extras. They were ok, but were not going to work their way into my rotation. However, Premiums are a very good blade (at an excellent price-point). I'm on shave 4 with this blade and it's giving me great shaves.

I purchased 300 of them. They are great blades. I put these new Derby blades right up there with the new Dorko Prime blades. Both of those are darn close to my beloved Astra SP, but cheaper.

Just used a Premium today and a BBS resulted - which was nice :001_smile. They can be very variable for me, but not today. This makes me very happy. :thumbup:

I acquired 100 Derby Premiums after reading this thread. So far, a couple shaves in, I'm very impressed. My go to blades are GSB and Polsilver, but for the price difference these are pretty good. I ask only 6 shaves from a blade, after that I'm bored. If these can match that they may make the rotation.

There's a vendor on eBay that was offering 100 GSBs for around $15. I had intended to buy them, but then I found that the same vendor offered 100 GSBs plus 100 Derby Premiums for $18 and change. For just $3 extra it seemed like a no-brainer to get both together in case the Derbys turned out to be usable. So I did, and now that I tried a couple I'm finding it was definitely three bucks well spent. They may not be up to the level of the GSBs, but I get effortless great shaves with them. Would definitely buy again for under $10 per hundred if I needed them.

I really like the Derby Premium. I usually get 10-15 shaves that are consistent and smooth. The Dorco Prime is also nice, but I only tried 2 blades I received as a gift.

There's a vendor on eBay that was offering 100 GSBs for around $15. I had intended to buy them, but then I found that the same vendor offered 100 GSBs plus 100 Derby Premiums for $18 and change. For just $3 extra it seemed like a no-brainer to get both together in case the Derbys turned out to be usable. So I did, and now that I tried a couple I'm finding it was definitely three bucks well spent. They may not be up to the level of the GSBs, but I get effortless great shaves with them. Would definitely buy again for under $10 per hundred if I needed them.
Which seller?

OK. A little tuggy on the third shave. Maybe it was me, but I'm going to try a few blades for comparison.

Hi dear friends,
Long time have not participate on this beautiful form.

I just wanna inform you, Derby has released a new version called USTA. I have not used it, but friends who tried given possitive reviews some say better than platinum. I dont know if this is a local market product only or will they make overseas sales. Just wanna share wiith you guys.
Best regards.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Hi dear friends,
Long time have not participate on this beautiful form.

I just wanna inform you, Derby has released a new version called USTA. I have not used it, but friends who tried given possitive reviews some say better than platinum. I dont know if this is a local market product only or will they make overseas sales. Just wanna share wiith you guys.
Best regards.
proxy.php

proxy.php
Very interesting!
I've just checked on the famous auction site in the UK and can only see them being sold by the hundred direct from Turkey at present.
Hopefully those who sell them by the tuck will have them soon.
If they're better than the Premium then they'll be very good indeed!
Thank you for letting us know about them.

Had tried the Derby Extra about 8 months ago, and really did not enjoy the shave. Had a Derby Premium from a sample pack and tried it....now thats a nice blade, much better experience than the past one. I would definitely use these, and they might pop into my rotation. Not as sharp as some of the others, but sharp enough and smooth to a easy BBS shave

So, I finally got my hundred pack of usta blades. They don’t have any writing on them, which I think looks cool.

That said, first usta shave was roouughh. I need to try another blade. Might have beef a dud. Definitely not the high end experience of the premium.

Top Bottom