What's new

Derby Extra

Hey all, first post and glad to be here. I’ve used Wilkinson Sword DE blades for quite a while, but recently saw reviews saying that Derby Extra Blades were good for sensitive skin.

I saw some previous posts about pre and post 2016 blades. I ended up buying a box of 100 on Amazon. I could only find packs with the writing in portrait mode. Pre-2016 then?

Also, the wax paper covers do not say Derby, but Amusebat. A reviewer on Amazon said that these were possibly fake because of that. Anybody know?

Thanks in advance.

Also, the wax paper covers do not say Derby, but Amusebat. A reviewer on Amazon said that these were possibly fake because of that. Anybody know?

Thanks in advance.

That is the name of the Turkish company that makes Derby blades. I think you got the more recent ones. I would take Amazon reviews with a grain of salt.

There is another blade from the same company called Derby Premium. It's quite a bit better than the Extra blades I tried awhile back. The Derby Premiums seemed to be pretty decent blades comparable to other mid-sharp blades.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Azmüsebat Çelik Sanayi ve Ticaret A.Ş is the parent company that makes Derby products in Turkey.
I've been using Derby blades for years and haven't seen that but they are known for packaging changes.

The Azmusebat is the more recent packaging. I’d be shocked if they were fake. I just bought some new Derby Premiums with that paper wrapper and they’re the same blade.
Thanks. I was just confused because on another forum thread, other mentioned the new extra packs had the words in landscape mode across each while mine are portrait style aligned.

I'm bumping this thread because I'm struggling with the same issue; ie packaging of pre/post 2016 production Extras. In the UK, I bought a plastic 5-tuck mid-Sept 2023, and early Nov 2023 (I must have liked them at the time!) 100 pack of the same - from two different reputable vendors of shaving products (so no suspicion of fakes) and everything has been portrait-style with "AZMUSEBAT" on the inner.

Bearing in mind this is 7 years on from the production change, it seems unlikely (though admittedly not impossible) that any pre-2016 blades would still be on sale.

My conclusion is that the portrait/landscape packing issue no longer applies. I've seen the blue 10-tucks on sale with horizontal lettering, but only portrait style in the 5-tucks.

Anyway, I plan to get a blue 10-tuck and try it against my current stock.

Of the different Derby Extra packages, only the color and quantity of blades change, but the green, blue and orange packages are the exact same blade, they do not change.
That would be my expectation, though I don't know who sells the orange pack in the UK, I've never seen them on sale. It wouldn't cost much to try a 10-tuck of the blue landscape-style as part of a larger order, but I guess you're saying there's no point. Given my current low enthusiasm for these blades, which could change who knows, I have 99, it's true I don't really need more.

but I guess you're saying there's no point. Given my current low enthusiasm for these blades, which could change who knows, I have 99, it's true I don't really need more.
No, I meant that if you also want to get the extra orange and blue derby you can certainly do so, I just meant inform yourself in case you weren't aware that all three packs contain the same blade anyway, so don't expect anything different.
Yes, in fact the orange Derby Extra is not easily found.

No, I meant that if you also want to get the extra orange and blue derby you can certainly do so, I just meant inform yourself in case you weren't aware that all three packs contain the same blade anyway, so don't expect anything different.
Yes, in fact the orange Derby Extra is not easily found.
Ah, okay, sorry I misunderstood your meaning. Think I will get the 10-tuck if only to confirm what we believe.

Don't know if this is helpful, but these are the only Derby's I've known
I actually enjoy using these in a GameChanger .84P - just know that they have a limited ceiling and don't push them

2+ years old
full

I actually enjoy using these in a GameChanger .84P - just know that they have a limited ceiling and don't push them

2+ years old
full

Interesting. They look blue (or is it a trick of of the photo?). Mine are green. Apart from that, that's exactly how my current stock appears - Extras and Premiums look exactly the same in their inners - even down to the wax dots.

Anyway, the blue 10-tuck is on order. I await it's arrival with interest.

2+ years old
full
Good point about the type of razor. They don't seem to work for me in my goto 70's Tech. But I'm not giving up on them yet. Maybe in something more aggressive.

Interesting. They look blue (or is it a trick of of the photo?). Mine are green. Apart from that, that's exactly how my current stock appears - Extras and Premiums look exactly the same in their inners - even down to the wax dots.

Anyway, the blue 10-tuck is on order. I await it's arrival with interest.
It's the lighting - they are green Derby's

Good point about the type of razor. They don't seem to work for me in my goto 70's Tech. But I'm not giving up on them yet. Maybe in something more aggressive.
In my R89 - they are literally One and Done
I would use for 3, 2-pass shaves before I bin them - flipping the blade after the 2nd use.

That method isn't for everyone, but has worked well for me for quite some time.

Whoa! What a difference a razor makes. About a week ago I put a new Derby X in a 70's English Tech - and got a pretty poor shave. For shave #2 I put that blade in a Lord L6 - and got a comfy 2-pass DFS by my standards. Not sure if it was the fact that it was the second shave, or the change of razor - I suspect more the latter.

Quite a bit of blade feel too, much more than the Tech. I know the L6 is generally regarded as a mild razor but it makes me wonder, given the poor QC, if some don't come off the production line more aggressive than others.

Interestingly, the UK retailer where I bought my Lord razor carries several reviews which describe it as aggressive - so I appear not to be alone in thinking this. It certainly felt as if I needed to take care to maintain a light touch. BTW, the the razor formerly known as the L6 is now model S625.

Interestingly, the UK retailer where I bought my Lord razor carries several reviews which describe it as aggressive - so I appear not to be alone in thinking this. It certainly felt as if I needed to take care to maintain a light touch. BTW, the the razor formerly known as the L6 is now model S625.
Hmm, I too have called the Lord L6 a mild razor, just following what everyone else says. But no doubt you can cut yourself up with it: Balin's Blade Bonanza - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/balins-blade-bonanza.649926/post-12618846

The L6 is not like the Gillette Tech which IMO protects newbies from themselves to an extent. I suppose the Henson is like that too, though I don't have a Henson.

Top Bottom