What's new

Derby 'extra' Stainless.

I don't care for Derbys but I love the Personna Reds. The Derby's don't cut as well and are more prone to irritating my skin. I can see the difference in the blade edges when examined up close.

Personna Red 200x New
View attachment 1265980

Derby Extra 200x New
View attachment 1265981

I completely forgot that I have one of these 250X microscopes. I think I'll photograph the edges of the various blades I use and post them to the forum.

The photo of the Derby Extra looks just like my blade felt this morning. That's a really poor job at manufacturing.

Thanks for checking! I haven't figured out how to identify pre & post 2016 Derby Extra's either from their packaging. I only know that the pre 2016 Derby Extra's are a noticeably thicker blade.
I sent you a message. My blade could be from a bad batch. If you will send me a blade I will get a magnified photo and post it on here.

As much as I don't like these Derby Extra Stainless blades, I think your blade was damaged, or they blew a step in the manufacturing to cause that rolled edge. Below is a photo of one of my blades.

That appears to be low magnification. Can you adjust your microscope for 250x? Here is my Derby at 20X
M New 20x.jpg

Here is a pic showing pre and post 2016 Derby Extras:
View attachment 1267303
Good comparison picture of pre 2016 vs. post 2016 Derby Extra blades! I have previously read that the post 2016 blades now use the horizontal label orientation. What is confusing is that I have several packages of recent Derby Extra blades that still have the old style vertical label orientation but are thinner and perform much better than the older pre 2016 vertical orientation Derby Extra blades that I have?

Good comparison picture of pre 2016 vs. post 2016 Derby Extra blades! I have previously read that the post 2016 blades now use the horizontal label orientation. What is confusing is that I have several packages of recent Derby Extra blades that still have the old style vertical label orientation but are thinner and perform much better than the older pre 2016 vertical orientation Derby Extra blades that I have?
I don't know if Derby tried to get rid of the old boxes when they started with their new blades?
It does sound strange.
I know my old Derby Extras are the old version since they have been in my closet since 2014-2015 :)
I bought a 100-pack of the new Extra's and they are better than the old ones in every way, but I still think the old ones are very smooth and very good in some of my more aggressive razors.

I don't know if Derby tried to get rid of the old boxes when they started with their new blades?
It does sound strange.
I know my old Derby Extras are the old version since they have been in my closet since 2014-2015 :)
I bought a 100-pack of the new Extra's and they are better than the old ones in every way, but I still think the old ones are very smooth and very good in some of my more aggressive razors.
I thought the same thing that maybe Derby was using up old vertical style packaging material with the new blades? I looked on Amazon and Ebay and most(but not all) of the pictures of green Derby Extra blades show the old vertical packaging but pictures of the 200 pack of blue Derby Extra blades all show the new horizontal packaging? All of the Derby Premium and Derby USTA packaging is the new horizontal orientation too.

I thought the same thing that maybe Derby was using up old vertical style packaging material with the new blades? I looked on Amazon and Ebay and most(but not all) of the pictures of green Derby Extra blades show the old vertical packaging but pictures of the 200 pack of blue Derby Extra blades all show the new horizontal packaging? All of the Derby Premium and Derby USTA packaging is the new horizontal orientation too.
I have seen the pics on different sites so to be sure that I would get the new blades I ordered a blue 100-pack containing 10x10 blades ;)

This scope is supposed to be a 250x, but this seems to be the best it'll go. There's no setting on magnification, just resolution of the photo. I'll have to keep playing with it.
I don’t know about yours but on mine, the focus ring also works as the magnification adjustment. At one end of the adjustment it is 20x and at the other end it is 200x.

i find that the Derby Extras are very temperamental. There is no way I can use them in a mild razor, they pull and it feels like I'm shaving with a sandpaper block.

However, if I plop one in a more aggressive razor they work great. Smooth and forgiving.

I can't do much ATG with a Derby, but if I don't have to work I don't usually do ATG anyway. I save a sharper blade for those days.

I used a Derby Extra for the first time this morning that I know is pre-2016 because I bought the sample pack it came in about 10 years ago (as old as this thread, yeah?). I think I'm still bleeding. I have a tough beard and I'm used to blades having to settle in, but not like this. The broken glass analogy up above seems pretty accurate. I haven't had to pull the styptic out in awhile, but this morning it was my best friend. I'll give the blade another go and lighten up on my technique, but if I look like I had a one-night stand with Freddy Krueger again, in the bin they go.

I used a Derby Extra for the first time this morning that I know is pre-2016 because I bought the sample pack it came in about 10 years ago (as old as this thread, yeah?). I think I'm still bleeding. I have a tough beard and I'm used to blades having to settle in, but not like this. The broken glass analogy up above seems pretty accurate. I haven't had to pull the styptic out in awhile, but this morning it was my best friend. I'll give the blade another go and lighten up on my technique, but if I look like I had a one-night stand with Freddy Krueger again, in the bin they go.
Sorry to hear that. I have the new, blue Extra's and I like them. Good blade in my Progress on 2 or 3. Smooth.

I recently compared the Extra to the Premium, and hands down, for me, the winner was the Extra blade. Premium seems a rougher shave, and doesn't shave as close, even in the same razor.

Top Bottom