What's new

DeHaven Syncrokeen Shake Sharp

So among the razors I acquired by chance is the DeHaven Shake Sharp. It's a beautiful razor, but I can't find much information on it beyond the manual posted in these forums. So first off, if anyone out there has actually gotten a shave from one of these I would love to hear your impressions.

Second, the blades that came with the razor are an issue; they're extra thick and are supposed to last quite a while (according to the instruction manual at least), but both of mine have some minor rusting towards their bases. I've been moderately successful polishing it off, and the edges are still razor sharp, but I'm a little concerned about shaving with anything rusty. Unfortunately, I can't find more of these blades anywhere on the intranets. Any suggestions?

Third, while I have the original box, the Syncrokeen lubricant that came with it way back when is MIA. This stuff was (according to the manual) put on the honing plate that sharpens the blade. Does anyone have any idea what this stuff might have been, or better yet what an acceptable substitute might be? My best guess was mineral oil.

I have the exact razor you are talking about and they are quite hard to come by.. even harder is finding NOS blades as I'm still looking for some myself. By far one the coolest and most beautifully designed razors in my opinion. I do know they came with either nickel or gold plating.. and if I remember correctly.. Dehaven manufactured the razor for a second year and it came in a leather bound case. The lubricant your speaking of came in a small tube and was placed inside the small silver container inside the case as pictured. You basically applied the compound inside the razor head before shaking it to sharpen the razor.. I'll post pics of the instructions I have that should help explain the sharpening process better.

The DeHavens are absolutely beautiful razors. The one you have is a No. 2 type. There is also the No 1 ...

proxy.php

... the No. 3 ...

proxy.php

proxy.php

and the Diplomat.

proxy.php

proxy.php

DeHaven,Synchro-Keen N. 1 Hoe type U.S.A. 1932 Single edge DeHaven Razor Corp., 293 Woodland Ave., Swanton, Ohio American patent No. 1859554/5/6 1932. Hugh De Haven. Self sharpening razor.

DeHaven,Synchro-Keen N. 2 Hoe type U.S.A. 1932 Single edge DeHaven Razor Corp., 293 Woodland Ave., Swanton, Ohio American patent No. 1859554/5/6 1932. Hugh De Haven. Self sharpening razor.

DeHaven,N. 3 Hoe type U.S.A. 1930 Wedge Kempf Mechanical Laboratory, New York, NY Self sharpening razor.

DeHaven,Diplomat Hoe type U.S.A. 1930 Single edge Kempf Mechanical Laboratory, New York, NY American patent No. 1718219 25 Jun 1929 filed 17 Jun 1924. Hugh De Haven, New York, NY . Assigned to De Haven Razor Corporation. Self sharpening razor.

I am kicking myself for passing on a No. 3 that I saw a few months ago. If I get back to that area anytime soon I'll be sure to pick it up. That wooden case is classic, as well.

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like it's a no go on finding new blades for this beauty (and it certainly is one of the most elegant face scrapers I've seen), so I guess this will have to stay a display piece.

Top Bottom