What's new

Defensive Rounds for Shotgun

Spending a few days in my old hometown down in Florida.
Visiting with my Sheriff's detective pal he introduced me to what the current department issue shotgun load is....
0B8F15DE-7FB0-4F63-8633-1463FCEF87AF.jpeg

1 oz. partitioned slug followed up with a few 00 buckshot pellets.
Thinking this may be the hot setup for home defense. Guess I know what'll be in the 870 when I get back home.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Spending a few days in my old hometown down in Florida.
Visiting with my Sheriff's detective pal he introduced me to what the current department issue shotgun load is....
View attachment 1061977
1 oz. partitioned slug followed up with a few 00 buckshot pellets.
Thinking this may be the hot setup for home defense. Guess I know what'll be in the 870 when I get back home.

What's best for LEO may/may not be best for your house ... and neighbors. Penetration, that.

I've heard No.4 bird - not No.4 buck - will do a number in the house. Dunno. It's a personal decision; if you have no neighbors ...

AA

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
#8 1oz Dove and Quail load will work well in the house, They won't penetrate heavy coats but they sure will scare the **** out of someone. I live in an apartment so I need to be careful.

Neighbors or wall penetration are not issues for me. We pretty much live in the sticks with anywhere from .75 to 2.5+ acres between dwellings.
The partitioned slug is designed to correct for over penetration and create additional wound channels. Works for me....
4EA756C1-16F2-494A-A454-2EF2E47CF270.jpeg
2EAFA55A-19BD-45D4-B7F6-82A0831840FC.jpeg
7ED442A3-1D4B-40A6-9BE5-F5C5927CC8F1.jpeg

It will be interesting to see how that patterns out of your gun(s). I have seen and had great success with Federal Flight Control Buck. Both the 8 and 9 pellet 00 offerings can stay on a 12 inch plate out to 15 yrds in my rattle can grey painted open choked Mossberg 500.

I am not confident that any birdshot would deter a motivated and/or mood altered aggressor.
FWIW/YMMV greatly

Even wearing a very heavy coat, I would not want to take a load of #8 or 9 at most indoor ranges. I suspect a
body shot would be fatal very quickly.

I think if I lived out there, I’d load it with buck for in the house, but keep slugs in the saddle in case things went outside.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
00 Buck (The Remington reduced recoil stuff) in the Mossy 930. Shoots soft and absolutely shreds a 1"x 4" pallet!!!

Last edited:
249149B8-54B7-4D4D-9F91-821CEDFC18FC.jpeg

Sabes 'que?
In the real world, not much is needed to properly facilitate a good home defense set up.
Bought this Remington 870 3 1/2" .12 gauge Super Magnum new at a Wal Mart that was getting out of the firearms business. If I recall...$150.00 with a rebate of somewhere around $75.00-$100.00 from Remington.
Found the barrel (perfect shape) in a pawn shop. Guy had no idea what it was.
The furniture was hardly Grade AAA (or Grade A for that matter). Found a good deal on a Hogue overmolded set up. Like a brick. Sling-Wal Mart I think. About $10.00
Loaded up with the aforementioned slug/buckshot rounds...4 more side-saddle.
Along for the ride:
Couple more slug/buckshot rounds, three Remington 3" magnum rifled slugs, four rounds Federal 00 Buckshot, two rounds Mil-Spec 00 Buckshot.
Everything one needs to face Armageddon for around $200.00-$250.00. Maybe even less.

When I bought my Mossberg 500 the guy behind the counter said he did some tests, and all you need is a good 2 3\4 #7 shot. He said it would blow a hole in a 2×4.

I've always kept mine loaded with 2 3/4 00 buck. But I hear that it may over penatrate. Luckily I've never had to test it out. But thinking I should consider a different load. Since I have houses all around me.

Not to get off topic

But that's a nice house and property you got there. It's going to be a while before I retire. But when I do, I want to have a place like that.

Probably don't have to worry about over penatration.

Top Bottom