What's new

What is a good round for home defense 20 gauge gun?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm looking for a 20 gauge pump. With #4 buckshot it should do the job.

#4 Buck would come with a very high risk of over penetration. #6 or 7 1/2, even 8 shot, is going to deal with anything coming down a hallway or across a living room with much less risk to anything on the other side of the back wall.

Carrying around a full size rifle or shotgun these days is not a great idea. Back when, a gun rack across the back window of a pickup was as common as it gets. These days....flirting with disaster.
Best bet would be-
Perhaps a Henry AR7 Survival Rifle. Broken down into two pieces it is pretty easy to conceal. Problem(s) are it’s only a .22 LR and would have to be assembled before it’s deployed.
Maybe another option might be a Mossberg Shockwave or similar shotgun. Stashes under the front seat and has all the shock and awe
charisma you need.

I know I have the space, behind the truck seat or in the car's trunk for a long gun.

Storing long guns in my vehicles is something I have never endeavored in. I suppose I have a fear of them getting stolen.

I cannot shoot small hand guns, the kind I keep handy, very well past a few yards. I might hit at 25 yards a stationary target with a small gun, or I might miss.

I was curious if they are commonly carried in vehicles.

I know in days past, one would see long guns on truck windows, I don't see that any more. But then again, I am in the big town now.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I was curious if they are commonly carried in vehicles.

I know in days past, one would see long guns on truck windows, I don't see that any more. But then again, I am in the big town now.

It would depend on the local laws. Here in Ontario Canada long guns dont need to be cased in the daytime, during normal hunting hours. One half hour before sunrise to one half hour before sunset. Before or after that they need to be cased so as not to be "readily accessible".

Cased and in the trunk, backseat, whatever, is perfectly fine but city police would prefer them to be out of sight.

This was my fathers dash gun in his truck for many years.

Lucy Lu.JPG

A 20" SxS 20g. Loaded with 3" 2 shot it would roll a running coyote at 20 yards. When I was lightweight tent camping in bear country that shotgun was beside me on the tent floor loaded with 3" 2's.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
20ga pumps are easy to find and cheap. You started this thread four months ago. Why are you still looking?

They might be easy to find, but easy to purchase is another story, depending on state and local laws. Also, what's cheap to one person might not be considered cheap to another. Almost all of my firearms were purchased after weeks, if not months, of deliberation and weighing different options.

Some of my most memorable and worthwhile gun purchases were impulse buys. Kind of a "shoot from the hip" thing.......yes. Pun fully intended.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I'll throw a rifle or shotgun behind the truck seat from time to time, but not often. Usually it's something short and handy. The lever action .30-30 fits well, and I do have a MAC-90 that I've had for 25 years...it's never been shot. I usually carry the .38 snubby.

We didn't start carrying rifles in the patrol car trunk until after the North Hollywood bank robbery of '97.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Although I don't carry a long gun in my vehicle on a daily basis, though I should, I always have one in the vehicle during road trips out of town. I always have a pistol on me when legal to do so and sometimes even when it isn't. I either avoid "gun free zones" or ignore their admonishments.
Long guns with either folding or collapsible stocks, or those that are easily separated into two halves are easily carried in discrete cases that don't scream "gun".

Last edited:
Top Bottom