What's new

What is a good round for home defense 20 gauge gun?

Ad Astra

The Instigator

Yeah. He lives in the pantheon of Great Gun Writers ...

Seven pages on this one? 20's not ideal, but any gun is better than none. Especially with a fast second shot.

Would think the bird/buck SD/HD argument from 12 gauge is equally applicable.

AA

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Yeah. He lives in the pantheon of Great Gun Writers ...

Seven pages on this one? 20's not ideal, but any gun is better than none. Especially with a fast second shot.

Would think the bird/buck SD/HD argument from 12 gauge is equally applicable.

AA

Shoot first, shoot fast, shoot often and shoot accurately. Regardless what you use. :)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
A marble at 1,400 fps would be interesting, wouldn't it?

Anything round is good, to slingshot people.

AA

Got a Mossberg Maverick 88 in 12 ga. earlier this year (barrel and major parts fit the 500). I also got the feed adaptor to use the Aguila 1 1/2" mini shells & have done extensive testing, mainly for reliability & haven't had any problems. Slugs, buck and ball, and birdshot would be effective at indoor distance. Recoil is negligible.

I like low recoil slugs myself.

Mechanically operated guns are not sensitive to ammo recoil levels, and that is an advantage for pumps etc.

What I am curios about is velocity and buckshot. Are low velocity buckshot rounds effective? I am confident in my choice of low velocity slugs, chosen because I had doubts about low velocity buck. I have learned from this forum that my choice of low velocity slugs is not a commonly made choice.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I like low recoil slugs myself.

Mechanically operated guns are not sensitive to ammo recoil levels, and that is an advantage for pumps etc.

What I am curios about is velocity and buckshot. Are low velocity buckshot rounds effective? I am confident in my choice of low velocity slugs, chosen because I had doubts about low velocity buck. I have learned from this forum that my choice of low velocity slugs is not a commonly made choice.

Every person's tastes, experiences, knowledge, preferences, training, dynamic and individual situation is different when it comes to what firearm and ammo they choose to carry or use for home and/or self-defense.

However, Your excellent statement of being confident with the "choice you made" is the one standard everyone else should go by.

Because once that trigger is pulled and the gun smoke clears, if they haven't died because of the choices they made or didn't make; they will need to be prepared to live by the choices they did in fact make.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Every person's tastes, experiences, knowledge, preferences, training, dynamic and individual situation is different when it comes to what firearm and ammo they choose to carry or use for home and/or self-defense.

However, Your excellent statement of being confident with the "choice you made" is the one standard everyone else should go by.

Because once that trigger is pulled and the gun smoke clears, if they haven't died because of the choices they made or didn't make; they will need to be prepared to live by the choices they did in fact make.

No truer words were ever spoken.

Me...since the El Paso incident I have been rethinking carrying my .38 and tried the L frame on the new Beltman belt. It works great. Although the 14 oz. Colt is nice to carry, the 4" L frame or the 1911 would be much better. I don't shoot Glocks as well as those.

Last edited:
@simon1
Indeed the El Paso and now Dayton tragedies got me to re-evaluate
my daily choice of armament. Methinks the days of just grabbing the Ruger LCP II for the routine trip into town are waning. Looking like the FN-FNP .40, Colt King Cobra .357 (once I get a holster for it) and Glock 30S .45 may see considerably more duty.

Although I commented on defensive shotgun ammo, my long guns are unloaded and not handy. The long guns have been delegated to secondary. I do like having long guns in case an unusual situation devoloped where longer range is needed, but I do not expect that such a situation to ever develop around me.

Do many people carry long guns in their cars and trucks? I am thinking about the mass shootings and also some of the nasty riots that occasionally occur.

Top Bottom