What's new

Decided to give Gillette Foamy another chance

Before I started DE shaving I used Gillette Foamy in the can with my cartridges. I haven't used and canned stuff in a year and a half, but a few threads from earlier this month about some people liking and even preferring canned got me to give it another shot, just to see for myself.

So this morning I went through my usual shaving routine of washing my face in the shower, shaving with a yellow 7 o'clock in my Slim, and following up with a witch hazel rinse and Nivea sensitive balm. The difference was I lathered up with Gillette foamy. I just sprayed some in my hands, added some water like I would any cream and mixed it up. At this point it felt surprisingly good. It was very slick and pretty dense foam. When I put it in my face is where things got interesting. I got this odd warming sensation that I don't ever remember from before, maybe I was just used to it. I would call it the opposite of the cooling effect of menthol. Interesting, but not inherently bad, though this did cause a little apprehension as I started my shave. But it went well. Lather was very smooth, slick and protecting for my usual two pass shave, with and against the grain. I did re-lather between passes. It got me to DFS very nicely with no nicks or razor burn. It did however dry out my skin quite a bit. I'm basing this off of the witch hazel splash burning quite a bit more than usual after a seemingly irritation free shave. The warming sensation that I described earlier also persisted for an hour or so after the shave.

Many conclusion is that canned foam works with a DE with the caveat of a lot of extra skin drying going on. It's not luxurious, or nearly as enjoyable as using a brush and soap but I think it might be a possibility for travel when I don't want to worry about taking a brush with me. I absolutely prefer a brush with soap or cream, but this was not as horrible as I was expecting. It does work. This is my experience with one brand for one shave, I just thought I would share and contribute my part to this ever lasting debate. :lol:

I've never tried Foamy...I have tried several canned products, including Barbasol, Aveeno Therapeutic gel, Edge gel, and the Walmart store brand shave cream (Equate.) I get great results with Barbasol, and actually like it as well as or better than the shave soaps I've tried (which haven't been many: Arko, VDH Luxury, and Cremo.) The rest of the canned products don't work as well for me with a DE.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I have some red Gillette Foamy and some sensor carts left. Been meaning to revisit and use up these products (or maybe sell the 10 pack of carts. They look more expensive now at the stores than they used to be).

Fellow Foamy user here also, though I'm still figuring out the bowl/brush thing and getting better.

The trick with Foamy (and Barbasol foams) is just a little extra water. Not too much, but it'll slick the foam up nicely and you're off. The price is right, and it works. Gives me something to do while saving cash up for some of those fancy creams and soaps you read about on here...

The trick with Foamy (and Barbasol foams) is just a little extra water.

I agree...I just get some water on the tips of my finger, and drip it over the foam before I apply it to my face. Works a lot better that way. Barbasol doesn't dry face out like Arko does, and actually gives me a better shave.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I have some red Gillette Foamy and some sensor carts left. Been meaning to revisit and use up these products (or maybe sell the 10 pack of carts. They look more expensive now at the stores than they used to be).

Sell the carts on Ebay & use the money to buy blades, soap, etc..

I grew up in the 60's and 70's and everyone I knew including my father and uncle's all used a DE razor with canned foam. It was just another way to shave time off the morning grooming routine, and when it comes to the masses, convenience is king. That said, I still have and periodically use Barbasol myself.

Noxzema Medicated Shave Cream with Aloe and Lanolin is an effective canned shave foam. It leaves my skin moisturized. The trick with canned foams, as GKCI mentioned, is adding a little water to the foam. This Noxzema shave foam allows me to shave my touch-up areas without re-layering--all I need do is add a little water on my face. It's a good product.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Shaving with canned shaving cream is not all that bad.

I use Colgate. I need only a small amount.

I put any excess shaving cream on the bathroom ledge.

I use that cream on the bathroom ledge to shave sideways on both cheeks and then shave against my cheeks.

When I shave I don't attempt to be perfect. A DFS is all that anyone should try for.

I use Barbasol from time to time.

I also have a trial size Gillette Foamy. The Foamy has a nice fresh scent.
I used to use Rise on a regular basis. Never see it anymore. I saw it about five years ago
displayed at Costco and I'm sorry I didn't grab a few cans.

I use Barbasol from time to time.

I also have a trial size Gillette Foamy. The Foamy has a nice fresh scent.
I used to use Rise on a regular basis. Never see it anymore. I saw it about five years ago
displayed at Costco and I'm sorry I didn't grab a few cans.

Rise.

WOW does that bring back memories. I most likely used it back in the day. Man, the things we forget far outweigh what we think we know :)

That's why we advocate for the brush & soap here at B&B - it doesn't leave your face dried out and helps your skin. Foamy really doesn't provide much protection from the blade either, which is why your WH probably stung more than usual.

Noxzema is a good choice, or a shave cream with Lanolin/Aloe - SOMETHING with a moisturizer in it at least.

Thanks for sharing your experience. You'll have to pry my brush and soap out of my cold, dead fingers. :001_smile

Not all canned stuff is evil even though the mug and brush is definitely more fun.

This I guess was exactly the point of my original post, in a single concise sentence. I certainly won't stop using a brush and soap since good soap performs much better and is more enjoyable than canned. But if a catastrophic event were to destroy all shaving soap on earth I could get by with satisfactory results. The convenience factor is there and I can see why canned continues to have such a wide appeal even though so many of us prefer soap.

I've never tried the foamy, but before my dive into DE I bought many cans of foam trying to get a better shave. Aveeno men's, axe, axe cooling, nivea white, many gels that turn into foam.
Funny thing is that the aveeno men's is one I will still use when in a rush. I don't want to say its as good, but compared toyhe other canned stuff its great. Reminds me of the smell of Cella ironically. But I still keep a couple cans.
I may just pick up a can of foamy to try. I'm thinking the green. Like barbasol, the red never worked as well as the orange and green for me.
Which color foamy?

I don't. I don't even have any real objection to it, I just really enjoy picking a scent, and mixing lather. Even if the goo's performance was equal, I couldn't see myself giving up the routine.

Top Bottom