What's new

Decanting Method

For those who have decanted colognes before, how do you do it?

More specifically, how do you do it without destroying the bottle?

I'm considering trying a syringe, but there doesn't seem to be a good place to uh... stick it.

Perhaps someone has a good method that they would be willing to share. I am decanting a bottle of Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet, and it would really be a shame to hurt that pretty little bottle with its bow on top.

Two methods:

(1) Destroy the bottle. I got very adept at that during my decanting days

(2) Spray directly into your new container. Amazingly effective, but is tiring on the fingers.

Thanks Scotto,

I had thought of method 2, and if it's the only way, it's the only way, but I was hoping someone had devised something a bit more efficient.

It depends on the amount you are decanting. I could fill a 10mL sample in under a minute. If you have a lot more, you are stuck breaking the bottle unless you get lucky, as with L'Occitane (top screws off) or Floris (harder, but possible).

With Penhaligon, you are hosed - the top has to be taken off.

I was afraid of that, I will actually be taking two thirds out of a 100ml bottle that I'm splitting with two other members.

Two methods:

(1) Destroy the bottle. I got very adept at that during my decanting days

(2) Spray directly into your new container. Amazingly effective, but is tiring on the fingers.

WRT Door #2: I use this method, when necessary, together with a narrow-necked funnel. Little loss-of-product, and quite effective.

I just tried to search basenotes and google as well with no luck.

Would you be so kind as to send a link.

Thanks a lot!

Top Bottom