What's new

DE VS SE Blade Feel

Strange thing for me is that when I get irritation with an SE shave, it lasts MUCH MUCH less than when I get irritation with a DE.

You're not alone! - With the SE blades being so much thicker, I don't think they cut quite as deep, if you get careless and give yourself a small nick...it actually is a small surface nick, as opposed to having the likes of a scalpel making a deep cut. I'll take it even further, an Injector actually seems more forgiving than a GEM or FHS blade, probably as it's thicker yet.

I do take issue with calling an FHS total garbage, they do give 4 good shaves in my OneBlade Hybrid, and I'm using one in my Genesis (Black Friday 50% Off gift to myself) will go for shave #5 tomorrow. - Admittedly, in the two original Core razors, I got MAYBE 2 good shaves out of one, so the heads aren't identical, regardless of material, and the Genesis seems to shave closer than my Hybrid. (I actually gave myself some weepers on the upper lip the first two shaves, until I cranked down the amount of pressure used with the lesser model considerably). The blade kits (30 blades + a bank were also 50% off at $14, shipped free for Black Friday as well, so I grabbed 3 sets with the Genesis.

Calling a feather fhs garbage? Ok ymmv expensive shave absolutely but in a oneblade core or genesis a dfs for me. Just for 2-3shaves. Gems despined and clipped outlast the fhs with ease and comfort increases during the 6-8 shaves I get from them. But some half de blades in a r48 will double that performance.
gem will fit a bullet tip or damascene if I get de retro feelings.
And yeah stiffer blades as a half de or de.
Different angles/techniques.
never had an injector which is a lot wider and a thicker blade so can not compare that.
I am not sure if the audio feedback is blade thickness because a focus r48 is silent (just as oneblade) and the same Gilette platinum blade as a de in a Parker variant is noisy a hell.
But sense wise gem/feather se versus Any de is already a lot more rigid
not to mention you need blade stops as a safety measure on gem feather se cause they have square not rounded outside edges. Which feels different.

Much of what we read on these dedicated sub-posts is pure fiction -- and/or commentary by inexperience shavers.

After more than 65 years of "wet-shaving", I have accumulated (a) 25-30 injectors, (b) most of the classic DE's, and (c) many of the "modern" SS DE's and SE's.

Almost to a razor, they shave well. The difference, dear Brutus, is not in the razor, but in the ourselves. Specifically, each one has a slightly different "twist" -- and, hence requires an adjustment to what we otherwise would seek to impose on the razor.

In reality, it is always the other way around.

You're not alone! - With the SE blades being so much thicker, I don't think they cut quite as deep, if you get careless and give yourself a small nick...it actually is a small surface nick, as opposed to having the likes of a scalpel making a deep cut. I'll take it even further, an Injector actually seems more forgiving than a GEM or FHS blade, probably as it's thicker yet.

I do take issue with calling an FHS total garbage, they do give 4 good shaves in my OneBlade Hybrid, and I'm using one in my Genesis (Black Friday 50% Off gift to myself) will go for shave #5 tomorrow. - Admittedly, in the two original Core razors, I got MAYBE 2 good shaves out of one, so the heads aren't identical, regardless of material, and the Genesis seems to shave closer than my Hybrid. (I actually gave myself some weepers on the upper lip the first two shaves, until I cranked down the amount of pressure used with the lesser model considerably). The blade kits (30 blades + a bank were also 50% off at $14, shipped free for Black Friday as well, so I grabbed 3 sets with the Genesis.
Good to hear the hybrid is more tuned towards the cores mildness (there is also a core V1 and V2). The genesis served me some weepers, while the core is virtually monkey proof shaving for me.

Top Bottom