What's new

Darwin is back ?????

I was initially charged almost 26 Euros to ship a cased razor weighing about 6 ounces + packaging from France to the USA. Seller refunded about 10 Euros of that unasked, indicating that the ebay shipping estimate was too high. Still a cost of 16 Euros or almost $19 for a less than 1 pound shipment from France, insured and signature required. I am waiting for it to arrive.

Alright, alright... I will have ro know by myself...

Shipping is not bad for me, by the way....

Shipping is a lot more reasonable within the EEC from what I see based on some ebay listings. However import duty and VAT can be a killer for shipments from outside the EEC, in addition to the postage costs.

The soap is presumably made by LPL. Who knows whether it's the same formula with a different scent or a whole new soap.

LPL seems to be involved in making both. Here are the label tags with the ingredients lists. I received them is a sealed enveloped with "D" wax imprint. Same "D" logo appears on the soap I noticed.

I have two LPL soaps that I use in my rotation on regular bases (along with 2 MdC soaps), but I find Darwin performance/scent superior. Quite possibly a new formula.

The ingredients is the same as the regular vegan LPL soap but has additional shea butter added.

As for the Darwin razor Cobalt would be more durable compared to stainless steel as far as tensile strength goes.

I'm waiting for the time they make razors out of tungsten carbide or depleted uranium. :a41:

Yeah.. LPL is a production partner... andthe soap and A S seem to be a different formula... citrus, ginger...
Looks promising... Anyway I'll know soon...

Darn disorders...

I think the containers for their products are all unique. I noticed their list of bottles and jars available changes and my steel one is no longer listed. They must acquire the containers individually, perhaps from flea markets/antique stores. My steel bowl is definitely not new and has some signs of age. Love it. If the containers are all unique that is ultra cool and adds to value hugely. If that is the case I have the only one like the one I ordered and everyone else will also have a unique container. COOL!

I think the containers for their products are all unique. I noticed their list of bottles and jars available changes and my steel one is no longer listed. They must acquire the containers individually, perhaps from flea markets/antique stores. My steel bowl is definitely not new and has some signs of age. Love it. If the containers are all unique that is ultra cool and adds to value hugely. If that is the case I have the only one like the one I ordered and everyone else will also have a unique container. COOL!

IMO that would indicate a very small operation if they can get by with such a limited supply of containers. I wonder if we will ever see the supposed Darwin reproduction razor.

I think it is a small operation, perhaps even a one man show. That is a plus for me. Rarity spurs my desire and quality reinforces it. I'm sure they may have to eventually go to a standard container if they are successful. For now I love the individual unique containers. Don't see that, ever.

The scent is nice but hard to describe. My wife likes it and that is a good sign. Been working in the garden, time for a shower and very late in the day shave.

Posting my shaving experience in the Soaps thread in a bit.

*** EDIT: My shave bowl (INOX LR 18-10 I think it may be a an old French sugar bowl) and probably all the rest of the containers are vintage/and/or unique. A winning strategy if there ever was one. Hopefully they can resist standardized packaging. ***

Last edited:
Just looked at their Etsy store and it says that their containers are "vintage" and "period" and that they buy the containers at charity shops and community markets. Clever gimmick if they can sustain it. (And even if they can't.)

Just looked at their Etsy store and it says that their containers are "vintage" and "period" and that they buy the containers at charity shops and community markets. Clever gimmick if they can sustain it. (And even if they can't.)

Gets me thinking about how he got started. Too new to have a supply of containers and he didn't want to diss the product by sending it in a cheap Chinese bowl, so BAM! off to the charity market and VOILA! A never ending supply of unique containers that are desirable on their own. Necessity is the mother of invention after all.

Great strategy! Great product, great presentation!
So is the price! That price will not allow them (hopefully) to go the "Chinese" way. After all there there are so many artisan soap in that niches anyway. Who needs more, right?

It's Darwin guys, and not the-best-value-soap-on-the-market-2-dollar-per-ounce-thread-on-the-B&B.
Don't you get tired?

Great strategy! Great product, great presentation!
So is the price! That price will not allow them (hopefully) to go the "Chinese" way. After all there there are so many artisan soap in that niches anyway. Who needs more, right?

It's Darwin guys, and not the-best-value-soap-on-the-market-2-dollar-per-ounce-thread-on-the-B&B.
Don't you get tired?

Comically and tragically it is discovered that.... TONICH IS DARWIN!!!! (jk, or am I, hmmm?)

Right but Darwin is only making a come back to compete with Gillette's reentry into the DE market.

It's weird about Gillette getting back in. Whatever they produce for the masses won't have the same appeal as their vintage ones nor will it take away from the niche markets. But it could finally stop the absurd theory that stacked multiple blades are somehow an advantage.

Top Bottom