What's new

Darwin is back ?????

By the way Cobalt steel is a high speed steel which means it is intended for making tooling for machine tools such as lathe bits. High strength when very hot but technically NOT a stainless steel so much more subject to corrosion than the austenitic stainless steels used in current stainless steel razors. The high hot strength is not needed for the razor application. I could imagine the screams from purchasers of a modern cobalt steel razor when it started to rust on them. I have three CV Heljestrand true stainless steel lather catcher wedge blade razors, made prior to WW2 I presume, and they are in perfect condition. They are an austenitic stainless steel which is very corrosion resistant and just barely reacts to a magnet. Lovely razors and really great efficient shavers.

IMG_0353.JPG
If Cobalt steel only works in high speed applications, maybe the Deluxe model was only meant for quick shaves. :) About 90 years and still holding it's own.

View attachment 802945 If Cobalt steel only works in high speed applications, maybe the Deluxe model was only meant for quick shaves. :) About 90 years and still holding it's own.

Tooling it the primary application but obviously not the only one. It is more resistant to corrosion than most steel but less so than Nickel Chrome austenitic stainless steel which was developed just before WW1, circa 1912 I have read. As the Darwin proves, it works for making a safety razor, but would not be a modern designers first choice of material for a stainless steel razor. I have several stainless steel CV Heljestrand razors from the same era as the Darwin and as best I can determine they are made from austenitic stainless steel and still look new.

I would love to have a Darwin but not at the current prices. I do have a Asylum Evolution Darwin clone in Stainless steel and one in brass. Very nice DE razors.

Seems the Darwin guy has begun selling soaps and AS, but still no razors...
I like the appearance very much but I want to make sure the product is quality too. So it seems a good idea to have different size containers which means one can get smallest size first to try the product (no samples that I can see...)

Clones?!
Asylum Evolution is a clone. Not this.

Actually, I wouldn't say so. The Evolution is an updated new version of the Darwin Standard. I wouldn't call it a clone. I would call it an homage. It doesn't pretend to be a Darwin. Phil even made sure to use a machine finish on it instead of a polished finish. I have a Darwin Standard as well as an Evolution and I can assure you that there is no mistaking one for the other. So no, I wouldn't call it a clone.

The new Chinese versions of the Merkur Futur are in my view clones.

If it copies other designs is a clone. No matter what finish Phil uses he produces clones.

As I recall The Asylum Evolution does not reproduce the blade gap or angle of the original Darwin, purposely I have read. Therefore it is a similar styled DE razor rather than a clone. To me at least a proper clone is a identical razor produced by a different maker than the original. As the original Darwin company no longer exists that I know of any accurate reproduction of the original razor is going to be a clone or a Darwin styling influenced razor. This is regardless of the name of the company producing it. Certainly the brass version of the Evolution with the longer handle is not a clone of the cobalt steel original Darwin.

OK guys, I don't like posting photos and reviews so you have to trust me on this one:
I was curious enough to order Darwin soap and AS recently. Just received those shaved with it - all I can say is Fan-tas-tic!
I thought MdC is the best soap out there! Well... not any more, for me at least! The Darwin soap is a lather monster, with plenty of cushion and glide. The complex scent is intoxicating (lemon, ginger I think...) So is the AS, BTW - perfect match!
Best shaving software I have tried! And I have tried a few.

Don't want to add anything else except that the Darwin software came from France (Rennes to be precise) for about a week perfectly packaged! The postage price was a bit high (I am in Canada), but I don't regret spending that amount.

Now waiting for the Darwin razor...

PS. To be honest, the same day I received an order from Maggards with some of their soap samples which I added on to other stuff I wanted. Out of curiosity. Just open and smelled the samples. Then closed the lids and put away - those are to be PIFed. Couldn't handle it after I had smelled the Darwin soap and AS.

Tooling it the primary application but obviously not the only one. It is more resistant to corrosion than most steel but less so than Nickel Chrome austenitic stainless steel which was developed just before WW1, circa 1912 I have read. As the Darwin proves, it works for making a safety razor, but would not be a modern designers first choice of material for a stainless steel razor. I have several stainless steel CV Heljestrand razors from the same era as the Darwin and as best I can determine they are made from austenitic stainless steel and still look new.

I would love to have a Darwin but not at the current prices. I do have a Asylum Evolution Darwin clone in Stainless steel and one in brass. Very nice DE razors.

So what do you think was the reasoning behind picking cobalt steel for the Darwin? What options did they during its production years?

btw Tonich that was one stellar review of the Darwin soap. Methinks I must have some.

EDIT: WOW! If I order the stainless bowl with soap, including shipping it will be almost 80 bux US. Tonich, is it THAT good?

Last edited:
So what do you think was the reasoning behind picking cobalt steel for the Darwin? What options did they during its production years?

btw Tonich that was one stellar review of the Darwin soap. Methinks I must have some.

EDIT: WOW! If I order the stainless bowl with soap, including shipping it will be almost 80 bux US. Tonich, is it THAT good?

Cobalt steel was relatively corrosion resistant and presumably less expensive than austenitic stainless steel which has relatively high percentages of both nickel and chromium in it. 304 Stainless has typically about 18% minimum chromium and 8% nickel, why it is also known as 18-8 stainless steel. Austenitic stainless steel was developed circa 1912 I have read so should have been available for the Darwin if the designers had chosen to use it. CV Heljestrand apparently did use it for some of their wedge blade lather catcher razors based on the ones I have, believed to date from prior to WW2.

Tracked French post parcel up to 1 kg is less than USD $30 I think. That shipping cost is on the high side, i know. Hence I ordered the AS too to fit under 1 kg weight package.
My initial intention was to go minimal, but given the postage prices I went to maximize its value. It took only 6 days for my parcel to arrive from France!
I knew I took a chance but it was well worth.

Tracked French post parcel up to 1 kg is less than USD $30 I think. That shipping cost is on the high side, i know. Hence I ordered the AS too to fit under 1 kg weight package.
My initial intention was to go minimal, but given the postage prices I went to maximize its value. It took only 6 days for my parcel to arrive from France!
I knew I took a chance but it was well worth.

Have you already tried them?? Tell us how it smells, behaves!

I guess I should consider the postage separately from the item cost. They have what looks like very nice soap and aftershave containers. The shipping is almost as much as the item though. Have bought several razors from France and the shipping is always a hit. Not a prob from England though and seems about the same distance. What is up with that?

Royal mail has better rates over La Poste France. Same apply to shipping from Italy (and I am yet to try the Nuavia soap...)

Juan Manuel, I am not going to make a review, sorry. You'll have to live with that. :a13:

I guess I should consider the postage separately from the item cost. They have what looks like very nice soap and aftershave containers. The shipping is almost as much as the item though. Have bought several razors from France and the shipping is always a hit. Not a prob from England though and seems about the same distance. What is up with that?

National and international postage rates are set by individual countries and can be anything the country wants. For instance prior to WW2 British international postal rates to Empire/Commonwealth countries were heavily subsidized so were the same as GB domestic postal rates. A letter to Australia was the same postage as one to an address in London. As an encouragement to exports China international postage currently seems to be dirt cheap compared to that of most other countries.

Royal mail has better rates over La Poste France. Same apply to shipping from Italy (and I am yet to try the Nuavia soap...)

Juan Manuel, I am not going to make a review, sorry. You'll have to live with that. :a13:

Alright, alright... I will have ro know by myself...

Shipping is not bad for me, by the way....

Top Bottom