What's new

Danner Pine Grove Chukkas, anyone have a pair?

I'm tempted by these. Anyone have a pair? How are they? How is Danner sizing? Do the soles wear quickly? It sounds like the soles are meant for inside wear, which seems odd.

No to having them. Sizing data points below. I have a b/c narrow foot.

I wear 13 in most AE dress shoes as well as Hoka and Brooks running shoes as per the brannock device.

My Danner Bull Runs are 12s.

My Redwing Iron Rangers and Merchants are 11s and required some break in, particularly the Iron Rangers. I suspect I could have gone 11.5.

My Wolverine 1000 milers are 11.5 with little break in.

FWIW- watching with interest.

No to having them. Sizing data points below. I have a b/c narrow foot.

I wear 13 in most AE dress shoes as well as Hoka and Brooks running shoes as per the brannock device.

My Danner Bull Runs are 12s.

My Redwing Iron Rangers and Merchants are 11s and required some break in, particularly the Iron Rangers. I suspect I could have gone 11.5.

My Wolverine 1000 milers are 11.5 with little break in.

FWIW- watching with interest.

Thank you! Our sizes are close. Not quite the same, but it's a start.

My AE dress shoes are all about 20+ years old and, I believe, all are 12D or 12E. One pair is a bit tight/narrow now, so it's possible I'd buy a bigger size today.

In most sneakers and other casual shoes, I'm a 13, with the exception of Converse, where I'm a 12. The Clarks Originals that I recently bought are 12s, but most of my other Desert Boots (Faconnable, Astorflex, and Rhodes) are 13s. The exception with boots is Geox, where I always bought 12.5. In most brands, it seems if I follow the EU sizes, I'm a 46 no matter what the brand says for US size. Puma is an exception, and then I need a 47 :laugh:.

From the hints I'm picking up off the Danner site, I'm guessing I'd be a 12...which seems to correspond to 46 at the link they provide to the Brannock site.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
This model by Danner is a good-looking chukka.
IMG_6842.jpeg

They remind me of the Red Wing Work Chukka which I’ve had my eye on.
IMG_6843.jpeg

Danner’s catalog of boots is quite extensive.

I think you can find Rose Anvil on YT cutting a pair of their boots in half as he likes to do.

If you pull the trigger, I’d be interested in hearing your review of the Pine Grove.

Last edited:
I have a friend who puts a premium on his time re all things.

His solution would be to order in the 11.5 and the 12 as boots in this realm tend to run a bit big ( as opposed to ordering the 12 and the 13 in many dress shoes) and keep the one that fits the best and return the other.

If I was betting, given your width and input re your AEs, along with the 46 number in European stock, you will like the 12s.

Please keep us in the loop as Danner, particularly in their USA made lines ( even with imported materials) is still making a quality product.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
@dontwo

And this is why I knew I should not have looked at this thread. 🙄😀

IMG_6999.jpeg

Although this isn’t entirely your fault since I have been eyeballing these for quite awhile now, however, your post did push me over the edge. 🤪

Now don’t get me wrong, I will place the blame squarely upon your shoulders when Mrs. Gold sees these boots arrive at the house. 😎

I’m sorry but that’s just the way it is. :yesnod:

Although this isn’t entirely your fault since I have been eyeballing these for quite awhile now, however, your post did push me over the edge. 🤪

Now don’t get me wrong, I will place the blame squarely upon your shoulders when Mrs. Gold sees these boots arrive at the house. 😎

I’m sorry but that’s just the way it is. :yesnod:
I didn't end up getting the Danner Chukkas...at least not yet. Now, I've missed the sale so will have to watch them.

If you need any more bad influence, I just picked up a black Eddie Bauer 1936 Skyliner for half price. It was delivered today and seems like a damn nice down jacket. :laugh:

https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/10112602/men's-1936-skyliner-model-down-jacket?sp=1&color=Black&size=&sizeType=

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I didn't end up getting the Danner Chukkas...at least not yet. Now, I've missed the sale so will have to watch them.

If you need any more bad influence, I just picked up a black Eddie Bauer 1936 Skyliner for half price. It was delivered today and seems like a damn nice down jacket. :laugh:

https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/10112602/men's-1936-skyliner-model-down-jacket?sp=1&color=Black&size=&sizeType=

Good luck with the Danner and thanks for the heads-up on the jacket. I’ll check it out.

Reminder to Self…

Block dontwo. He’s diabolical and a bad influence. 😉😀

let us know re the boots!!!

Thread drift re EB.

Historically, I have loved EB stuff. The magic is to catch it at 30% or better. As such I have no less than 2 parkas/2 shells, 4 vests, a windbreaker, an 800 fill jacket and 10+ 1/4 zip fleeces. I was completely taken in by their First Ascent series. It was my go to gear for my entire BSA Scout Day Career. My “emergency stay in the truck coat” is my first down parka I bought so I could stand on a bus stop for up to 1 hr in any temp.

Unfortunately their have watered down what was an industry standard guaratee:

UNCONDITIONAL LIFETIME GUARANTEE
Eddie was one of the first retailers to offer an unconditional guarantee in writing-he was that confident and committed to the quality of his products. And after 50 years in business he said, "My greatest contribution to the consumer was our 100% unconditional lifetime guarantee. That guarantee was part of what I sold." Eddie's philosophy guides us to this day. Every product we sell is designed to be the best and built to last. If anything you buy falls short of those standards, you're invited to return it at any time.

OUR CREED
To give you such outstanding quality, value, service, and guarantee that we may be worthy of your high esteem.™

OUR GUARANTEE
Every Item we sell will give you complete satisfaction or you may return it for a full refund."

to this:

What is Eddie Bauer's return policy?

We want all our customers to be happy with our products. If you are unsatisfied with your Eddie Bauer product, you may return or exchange it in its original unworn/unused condition with proof of purchase within one year for a replacement or a full refund in the original form of payment.

For more information or to create your own US return label, please initiate a return by clicking here.

For more information or to create your own Canadian return label, please initiate a return by clicking here.

What is Eddie Bauer's Guarantee?

If your Eddie Bauer product has a defect in materials or workmanship, you may return it with proof of purchase within one year for a replacement or refund back to the original form of payment.

All products that are deemed defective without proof of purchase, as well as defective products purchased more than one year earlier, are only eligible for exchange or replacement with a similar item.

Eddie Bauer's Product Guarantee excludes normal wear and tear and damage caused by misuse or accidents.

Pre Covid- I went round and round with a store before I got them to honor the old warranty as a I had saved the receipt and was looking to get in store credit only toward a more expensive product.

The mgr stated that they were doing this as a courtesy- I stated that no -you are honoring your contract which was the precident of the sale, I never would have purchased the jacket in question or any of the other items but for the warranty in question.

Bottom Line-EB is still making some good looking stuff but the quality from item to item varies widely. Moreover, the FA line which initially was designed to go head to head w North Face, Mountain Hardware, Marmot, Outdoor Research and many other brands this side of Arcteryx has slipped as well though it continues to have flashes of greatness.

Top Bottom