What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday. A better shave than yesterday. (Yesterday's shave was plenty good, too.)

3-2-23.X1.Mike's.Blue.Unbleached.640.JPG

This is already a very good brush. Better, it will improve as it becomes even more broken in. You can see in the photo that the break in is reasonably far along (off line break in having been pursued). Many split ends.

Good kit. Good technique. Enough time and attention and experience. The result is a very nice and perfectly acceptable by my standards shave. Notice: Not BBS. Not chasing baby. Not perfect.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Today I had a Damn Comfortable Shave. Wow, what a relief.

Background; hadn’t shaved in 10 days. Thought I’d give a beard a try since I always viewed shaving as a chore, and since cataract surgery a couple years ago I can’t see close without glasses. I’m always in a hurry, so rather than taking my glasses on and off I just go in blind.

I see all these old guys with whiskers, figure they hate shaving too, and can’t see.

I hate the feeling and look of a beard on me. Pure torture.

This is where you come in, Jim. Purchased a FOCS a month or so ago on your recommendation primarily, plus many others. (Actually went back and got 4 total, two for me and two as gifts)

So I whip out the FOCS, and a Personna Lab Blue, and go in blind and in a hurry. TOBS Jermyn St because it whips up fast. Absolutely mow everything down with ease. Hard to believe.

That weird little cheap razor saved and made my day.
Nothing fancy, no bragging rights, just pure functionality.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Today I had a Damn Comfortable Shave. Wow, what a relief.

Background; hadn’t shaved in 10 days. Thought I’d give a beard a try since I always viewed shaving as a chore, and since cataract surgery a couple years ago I can’t see close without glasses. I’m always in a hurry, so rather than taking my glasses on and off I just go in blind.

I see all these old guys with whiskers, figure they hate shaving too, and can’t see.

I hate the feeling and look of a beard on me. Pure torture.

This is where you come in, Jim. Purchased a FOCS a month or so ago on your recommendation primarily, plus many others. (Actually went back and got 4 total, two for me and two as gifts)

So I whip out the FOCS, and a Personna Lab Blue, and go in blind and in a hurry. TOBS Jermyn St because it whips up fast. Absolutely mow everything down with ease. Hard to believe.

That weird little cheap razor saved and made my day.
Nothing fancy, no bragging rights, just pure functionality.

Lovely post, Hopalong.

The FOCS is a fine razor. I put it in my highest razor ranking category, the Daily Drivers. It delivers.

Thanks for your post and happy shaves,

Jim

1678339943294.png

I finally got a chance to try the Mysterium Serum you've been using for a while - I can see why it's your current go to! It's great! It was nicely not slimy, I didn't feel like I'd slapped pudding on my face at all. From a soothing/conditioning agent, at first I was sort of unimpressed, it went on so residue-less that I wasn't sure I'd put enough on. But an hour or so later, and for much further on during the day, I really noticed the silky feeling my skin had.

This product really does impart a glowish feeling that lasts for 4-5 hours and seems to be a very effective soothing post-shave balm. I'm looking forward to using it more, thanks for the recommendation Jim!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
View attachment 1618136

I finally got a chance to try the Mysterium Serum you've been using for a while - I can see why it's your current go to! It's great! It was nicely not slimy, I didn't feel like I'd slapped pudding on my face at all. From a soothing/conditioning agent, at first I was sort of unimpressed, it went on so residue-less that I wasn't sure I'd put enough on. But an hour or so later, and for much further on during the day, I really noticed the silky feeling my skin had.

This product really does impart a glowish feeling that lasts for 4-5 hours and seems to be a very effective soothing post-shave balm. I'm looking forward to using it more, thanks for the recommendation Jim!

Glad it works so well for you.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hi Jim! Did you have any shaves this weekend?

No. I didn't shave from Friday morning to Monday morning.

1678720670831.png

Actually I had a busy weekend but not one requiring me to look decently prepared for the social or business world. Probably could have used more doing nothing time, but I got in some goofing off in spite of several work related hours on both weekend days.

My Monday morning shave was excellent...

3-13-23.X1.Mike's.BlueUnbleached.640JPG.JPG

The Above the Tie X1 Slant is such a great razor! With a not new Proline and not much work it delivered a close and comfortable blood free shave.

I'm very happy with the kit I picked for this month's Fixed Four.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

No. I didn't shave from Friday morning to Monday morning.

View attachment 1620448

Actually I had a busy weekend but not one requiring me to look decently prepared for the social or business world. Probably could have used more doing nothing time, but I got in some goofing off in spite of several work related hours on both weekend days.

My Monday morning shave was excellent...

View attachment 1620451

The Above the Tie X1 Slant is such a great razor! With a not new Proline and not much work it delivered a close and comfortable blood free shave.

I'm very happy with the kit I picked for this month's Fixed Four.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

That brush is starting to look nice and broken in!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Top Bottom