What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
They are tools. That is how I see it.

Me, too.

I'm largely a form follows function guy.

10-24-22.Vector.Titanium.in Stand.New.640.JPG

The handle of the Vector Titanium being the case in point, it's a beautiful handle in my view of it. However, it's both too long and too skinny to be a functionally excellent handle plus why the super long skinny neck? I dislike handles which might look great but are too skinny.

2-10-22.Rocnel.Sailor.MasterCollection.2021.640.JPG

I'll admit that the Sailor is beautiful to my eye. It also has a fat handle. It's extremely nicely proportioned, shiny, beautifully machined, cleverly designed and made, and looks like a million bucks on a pedestal in an art museum. All that is great, but if it didn't shave wonderfully well it would be useful to me.

I might have a few razors that I would consider part of a collection though.

~doug~

Nothing wrong with that, my friend.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I can't wait to get my first shave in with the X1 today, my friend. This will be an afternoon or evening shave. :001_smile

Congratulations on the X1.

It's a really excellent razor. I bet you'll like it. For me, having previously used several AC platform safety razors plenty of times, it had essentially no learning curve. I used it with the Proline which I'd already determined to be the AC blade I like. From the beginning it was used at a steep angle.

Steep & Shallow Shaving Angles.640.7-22..png

The X1 is not difficult nor is it aggressive. It is smooth and efficient.

11-16-22.X1.CanadaSS.Mozingo.640.JPG

My X1 head was purchased without a handle because I already had a couple of ATT 3 inch handles. I've considered trying other handles and might do so sometime but the Atlas handle nicely suits the razor.

I'll be interested in your impressions of the X1.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Congratulations on the X1.

It's a really excellent razor. I bet you'll like it. For me, having previously used several AC platform safety razors plenty of times, it had essentially no learning curve. I used it with the Proline which I'd already determined to be the AC blade I like. From the beginning it was used at a steep angle.

View attachment 1559146

The X1 is not difficult nor is it aggressive. It is smooth and efficient.

View attachment 1559147

My X1 head was purchased without a handle because I already had a couple of ATT 3 inch handles. I've considered trying other handles and might do so sometime but the Atlas handle nicely suits the razor.

I'll be interested in your impressions of the X1.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thank you, kind sir. I'll be pairing the X1 with the Timeless Ti Crown today. I will let you know how it goes! Thanks for your encouragement.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday's shave was experimental.

11-19-22.SE2.VitosRed.RV-DO1.640.JPG

Yes, this is my ATT SE2. Yes, I'd pretty much planned to not use it again.

The Kronos handle is not my favorite because I like the 3" handles better, but it's okay and was already on the razor head so I went with it.

Kai Captain Titan PINK Protouch..jpg

I'd used these mild, guarded blades as training wheels with the Vector Titanium. (That was a very good suggestion.)

When I removed the Protouch from the Vector the blade had many more shaves so I stuck it in the SE2 which just happened to be handy. It occurred to me to give the blade a spin. The SE2 has been in my experience with it rather rough and not very comfortable. I'd long ago concluded some of the discomfort with the SE2 might be its teeth, but some might be the blade. I figured I might as well see how the razor would do with a guarded and very mild blade.

In a word, it was very highly efficient. I'm talking like super efficient, super close shaving.

My shave followed my usual pattern of recent weeks. Not a whole lot of work, but ATG/N-S on the upper lip, and trumpeting ATG and WTG on the soul patch. Also E-W, etc. on my neck.

The razor wasn't comfortable ATG/N-S on my upper lip but my upper lip survived, and the shave wasn't horrible or even close to horrible. I'm not bragging on the comfort, but, it was tolerable in the sensitive areas and well within the acceptable range elsewhere.

Efficient? Big time!

Will this become a Daily Driver Candidate? Not in this lifetime! Will I use it again when I want a super close shave? Maybe. Maybe not. I'm not bragging on the comfort, but at least I might use it again. The blade improved the SE2 experience that much.

AlsoSheaButter.PreshaveGear.640.JPG

Went to the pool to exercise right after shaving so I used no fragrance. Maybe I will later.

I need to apply some shea butter pretty soon and again tonight. My skin is a bit dry with the weather; my exposure to so much water doesn't help; probably chlorine doesn't help either.

Love me some pool though.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
The verdict is in, gentlemen. The Timeless Ti Crown/ATT X1 was a complete success. A flawless 2 pass head/face shave. I think my lovely GF is sick of hearing me talk about my shave today. :)

Thanks again for all your wisdom and support.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The verdict is in, gentlemen. The Timeless Ti Crown/ATT X1 was a complete success. A flawless 2 pass head/face shave.

Congratulations!

Not a surprise though.

I think my lovely GF is sick of hearing me talk about my shave today. :)

Thanks again for all your wisdom and support.

While she's taking a nap shave her head. Then she'll be talking, talking, talking about her shave today. Y'all can compare notes.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Saturday's shave was experimental.

View attachment 1559277

Yes, this is my ATT SE2. Yes, I'd pretty much planned to not use it again.

The Kronos handle is not my favorite because I like the 3" handles better, but it's okay and was already on the razor head so I went with it.

View attachment 1559280

I'd used these mild, guarded blades as training wheels with the Vector Titanium. (That was a very good suggestion.)

When I removed the Protouch from the Vector the blade had many more shaves so I stuck it in the SE2 which just happened to be handy. It occurred to me to give the blade a spin. The SE2 has been in my experience with it rather rough and not very comfortable. I'd long ago concluded some of the discomfort with the SE2 might be its teeth, but some might be the blade. I figured I might as well see how the razor would do with a guarded and very mild blade.

In a word, it was very highly efficient. I'm talking like super efficient, super close shaving.

My shave followed my usual pattern of recent weeks. Not a whole lot of work, but ATG/N-S on the upper lip, and trumpeting ATG and WTG on the soul patch. Also E-W, etc. on my neck.

The razor wasn't comfortable ATG/N-S on my upper lip but my upper lip survived, and the shave wasn't horrible or even close to horrible. I'm not bragging on the comfort, but, it was tolerable in the sensitive areas and well within the acceptable range elsewhere.

Efficient? Big time!

Will this become a Daily Driver Candidate? Not in this lifetime! Will I use it again when I want a super close shave? Maybe. Maybe not. I'm not bragging on the comfort, but at least I might use it again. The blade improved the SE2 experience that much.

View attachment 1559285

Went to the pool to exercise right after shaving so I used no fragrance. Maybe I will later.

I need to apply some shea butter pretty soon and again tonight. My skin is a bit dry with the weather; my exposure to so much water doesn't help; probably chlorine doesn't help either.

Love me some pool though.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I'll be using the Aluminum SE1, the Stainless SE1 and yes, there will be a guest appearance by the X1 Slant. First run through will be with the Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG. Second run through will be with the Schick Proline P. I'll gauge whether to move up to the "big leagues" and do a third run through with the Feather Pro Super blade. :cool:

Beginning on Monday, shaves and results will be posted in my Journal. :)

Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-12019323

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'll be using the Aluminum SE1, the Stainless SE1 and yes, there will be a guest appearance by the X1 Slant. First run through will be with the Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG. Second run through will be with the Schick Proline P. I'll gauge whether to move up to the "big leagues" and do a third run through with the Feather Pro Super blade. :cool:

Beginning on Monday, shaves and results will be posted in my Journal. :)

Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-12019323

That sounds interesting, David. I'll follow along.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday I really needed a shave after skipping Sunday.

11-21-22.X1.Ethos.Mozingo.640.JPG

Today's razor was the ATT X1 Slant. Great choice.

I also enjoyed using Frank's soap and Big Mo.

CubaOrange.11-1-22.small. copy.jpeg

10-19-22.Desire.640.JPG

I've got to tune up some of my photos so they fit together better. I made some effort today, but I'm not there yet. No worries of course.

I used both scents. One fades rapidly, the Cigar Orange (Cuba Orange it's called).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday my shave was noteworthy and excellent.

11-22-22.TheGeneral.CanadaSS.SV.Cocobolo.640.JPG

At least subjectively this was one of the smoothest and best shaves I've ever had. I knew there was a blade in the razor because I looked before beginning to shave, but I looked again shortly into the shave because the blade seemed to have disappeared.

Today's razor? The original SS General. This might be the best razor I've ever used. It might be even better than the X1. I'll keep comparing them.

My General was hand polished by me years ago so it shines compared with the original matte finish. My friend Mike @Esox told me how to go about the process. I followed his directions. The results were impressive.

CubaOrange.11-1-22.small. copy.jpeg

4-23-22.Thauy.Nakht.640.JPG

Everything about today's shave was great. Hours later it seems to have also been a very close and comfortable shave.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Tuesday my shave was noteworthy and excellent.

View attachment 1560648

At least subjectively this was one of the smoothest and best shaves I've ever had. I knew there was a blade in the razor because I looked before beginning to shave, but I looked again shortly into the shave because the blade seemed to have disappeared.

Today's razor? The original SS General. This might be the best razor I've ever used. It might be even better than the X1. I'll keep comparing them.

My General was hand polished by me years ago so it shines compared with the original matte finish. My friend Mike @Esox told me how to go about the process. I followed his directions. The results were impressive.

Everything about today's shave was great. Hours later it seems to have also been a very close and comfortable shave.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I certainly love my The General V2. :love-struck:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I passed on a General V2 when it showed up on BST. It was just the head and was $100. I sort of regret that. I should have snatched it up.

My original SS General was purchased from the vendor/manufacturer/designer. I believe it was either $50 or $60, probably $60. Handle included of course.

I regret not buying the brass General when I saw one on the BST. It was I'm pretty sure exactly the same as mine but in another metal.

Using it long ago, and using the General recently, I have no idea what could have been improved with the v2. Perhaps some metal and weight could have been removed. Certainly a fatter, and shorter handle would be an improvement. It terms of the geometry and the shave, I doubt improvement was possible.

Live and learn.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
My original SS General was purchased from the vendor/manufacturer/designer. I believe it was either $50 or $60, probably $60. Handle included of course.

I regret not buying the brass General when I saw one on the BST. It was I'm pretty sure exactly the same as mine but in another metal.

Using it long ago, and using the General recently, I have no idea what could have been improved with the v2. Perhaps some metal and weight could have been removed. Certainly a fatter, and shorter handle would be an improvement. It terms of the geometry and the shave, I doubt improvement was possible.

Live and learn.

Happy shaves,

Jim
The head on The General V2 is smaller than all of my other AC razors except the Vectors.
20221012_190639~2.jpg
20221021_112059~2.jpg

It is very close to the Vectors in all attributes.

A superb razor in all respects.

Top Bottom