What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday. A very good shave.

11-16-22.X1.CanadaSS.Mozingo.640.JPG

The X1 is an excellent razor by any standard.

AlsoSheaButter.PreshaveGear.640.JPG

Last night I got out of bed which I wasn't inclined to do as I was finally warm. I got up only to apply shea butter. What I'm saying here is shea butter makes a significant difference in the health and/or comfort of my skin especially it regards to its tendencies to be too dry and thus hurt.

(We keep our house on the cold side in the winter. I'd like it a few degrees warmer but there is SWMBO to consider.)

The Mozingo is a terrific brush. It's considerably softer feeling than when it arrived, but has retained presence and such. It has what I call delicious scrub.

4-23-22.Thauy.Nakht.640.JPG

Lovely scent.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday. It's felt like Friday since Monday, but life is good.

11-17-22.Vector.CanadaSS.RV-2Band.Eagle.640.JPG

I'm probably deciding on the Vector today. Keep it or return it?

Man, I can see it both ways. If I didn't have the X1 it'd be easy.

I'm also thinking of selling this brush. I like it but I like my other Shavemac non-DO1 two band a lot better. Maybe this knot isn't broken in yet? It's still an excellent brush and a great handle.

AlsoSheaButter.PreshaveGear.640.JPG

This combo used as I use the products was a quantum jump for my shaves.

I've never done this before but...

4-22.WhiteFusion.PrivateCollectionByLomani.640.JPG

CubaOrange.Cigar.11-1-22.640JPG.JPG

Today I used this perfume (on my wrists, inside my elbows, and on my clavicles) + this cologne (on my back).

The perfume persists. The cologne doesn't. They smelled good together so it was a good idea.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Keep it, Jim.

Doug, I've decided to return the Vector Titanium, and have started the process.

You'll be sorry if you return it.

If I'm sorry I can buy another one. I recognize that as a possibility.

Still got your ASD2, right?

~doug~

Well, yes, kinda sorta. I sold the ASD2. After a while the gentlemen who bought it sold it. I bought it back from the fellow who purchased it for him.

So, yes, I still have it.

Not that I ever use it.

Doug, I'm strongly considering selling a bunch of stuff. I have - don't tell anyone because this is a secret - gobs of items I really don't need.

I've zero regrets about any of the purchases. It took me a long time to figure out exactly what I like and what works best for me. It was clear from the beginning, at least to me, that I wasn't actually interested in collecting razors, and that some razors I might buy would be rentals.

Minimalism or a padded room? (meme).jpg

Not that I'm on the verge of Minimalism.

Minimalism? Could I have some?.jpg

I plan to live a great many more years as I can't afford to retire or die. Still I recognize that it would be lousy to leave a great many more razors than I will have heirs to leave 'em to for my wife or daughter to sell for 15 cents at a yard sale.

Plus, I've acquired a taste for top tier brushes.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Well, yes, kinda sorta. I sold the ASD2. After a while the gentlemen who bought it sold it. I bought it back from the fellow who purchased it for him.

So, yes, I still have it.

Not that I ever use it.
Totally understand, as I am now the proud owner of an ASD2 also.
Doug, I've decided to return the Vector Titanium, and have started the process.
Having to buy the handle along with the head when you can't stand the handle it's understandable. I can't stand the handle either.
Doug, I'm strongly considering selling a bunch of stuff.
I'm looking at a 20' x 20' Tuff Shed as we speak.

~doug~

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Friday. Good shave.

View attachment 1558733

Sailor, on the Zero Dot.

Used both scents as I used similar of the same scents a few days ago.

View attachment 1558739

The Vector Titanium is in the mail on the way back to the vendor. Excellent razor head but not as good as my X1. I'll miss it but not $400 worth.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Jim, I was thinking you might send it back... but I didn't weigh in before you made your decision.... I decided, for me, I don't need that kind of efficiency. I think for some beards/faces/whiskers, the Vector might be the perfect razor. .... the However, though... However, I don't think I need that kind of level of efficiency for my face/whiskers.

As far as thinning the razor herd. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I wish I was more like @LRod . He moves out razors he just doesn't absolutely love in short order. I like the X1 more than the Claymore Evolution.... but I have three of those.... I've given one away because my son didn't like it... I can't quite bring myself to sell my extra one, let alone the Matte and Polished models I have.

I have 8 more razors to try. If I don't like them... I wish I could move them on, but I'm not sure I'll be able to force myself to do that. I don't consider myself a collector.... but I do have 16 razors now. First world problems. <eg>

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
At least you gave it a good audition. :)

Different faces, skin and beards = different results. And that's okay. :)
David, I wish I could shave every day like you do.... and I do admire your razor collection. You provide so much useful information here on B&B. I look forward to your posts every day... thank you for the time and money you put into our collective hobby.. or whatever you want to call what we all do.. hobby, routine, ritual? Not sure what to call it.. maybe a combination of all three.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
16 and no plans to sell.
You are now a collector Kim🤣
Nothing wrong with that though.
I'm technically one as well: A short term collector, LOL!!
You tend to "rent" razors... <eg> "evil grin" for those people who don't know me.

All humor aside, you have found a few that you love and put the others back out into the wild... a catch and release program. I wish I would or could follow your example. I'm too new at this, I think... after I get a lot of shaves with all of my current razors, I think I'll do the same. I have 5 Vintage Gillette razors.... three of them replated and in nice boxes. I will use them and if they are something I know I'll use from time to time, I'll keep them because they have historical value... not for sale to collectors of course, because they've been replated... but they are from an era long past. The same with the other two. They are both in excellent condition but aren't rare.

The other ones I own are more generic.. easily obtainable and I think sellable should I decide to do so. You know, the RR Lupo, Pearl Flexi, Overlander, Muhle R41, Merkur 37C HD.

I have high hopes for the Blackland Era and I do have three base plates for it so one of them should work very well for me. I do feel the same way about the Lupo... once I determine which base plate(s) work the best.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim, I was thinking you might send it back... but I didn't weigh in before you made your decision.... I decided, for me, I don't need that kind of efficiency. I think for some beards/faces/whiskers, the Vector might be the perfect razor. .... the However, though... However, I don't think I need that kind of level of efficiency for my face/whiskers.

According to me, you already have it.

For a while I thought the Vector Titanium was a tad more efficient than the X1. Then I did an actual head to head, shaving half my face and neck with the X1 and the other half with the Vector. The results surprised me.

What I discovered was this: The X1 is, if anything, a tad more efficient than the Vector Titanium. The X1 is also smoother. Both are smooth, but the X1 wins. On my very sensitive upper lip, the X1 is significantly and considerably smoother going ATG/S-N; that's the deal breaker for me with the Vector Titanium.

Besides all that, I don't like the Vector handle. It's too skinny for me. It's also too long, but that can be fixed and too skinny can't.

The ultra innovative Vector Titanium is a good razor with loads of style points but it's no X1.

Obviously I can only speak to my experiences with the razors.

As far as thinning the razor herd. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I wish I was more like @LRod . He moves out razors he just doesn't absolutely love in short order. I like the X1 more than the Claymore Evolution.... but I have three of those.... I've given one away because my son didn't like it... I can't quite bring myself to sell my extra one, let alone the Matte and Polished models I have.

I have 8 more razors to try. If I don't like them... I wish I could move them on, but I'm not sure I'll be able to force myself to do that. I don't consider myself a collector.... but I do have 16 razors now. First world problems. <eg>

To me, a guy with a rather huge number of razors, a collector is someone different from me. I'm a trier. I'm a renter. I'm an experimenter. I'm a scientist. I might have a big stash of razors but that doesn't mean I have a collection because that's not how I see the razors.

A collector isn't defined by the number of items but by mindset and intention. At least that's how I see it.

I could argue it other ways, but I'm being honest and not trying to be contentious or argumentative.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
David, I wish I could shave every day like you do.... and I do admire your razor collection. You provide so much useful information here on B&B. I look forward to your posts every day... thank you for the time and money you put into our collective hobby.. or whatever you want to call what we all do.. hobby, routine, ritual? Not sure what to call it.. maybe a combination of all three.
Thank you Kim. I really enjoy our conversations and am very happy that you are zeroing in on your top razors. :)

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
To me, a guy with a rather huge number of razors, a collector is someone different from me. I'm a trier. I'm a renter. I'm an experimenter. I'm a scientist. I might have a big stash of razors but that doesn't mean I have a collection because that's not how I see the razors.

A collector isn't defined by the number of items but by mindset and intention. At least that's how I see it.

I could argue it other ways, but I'm being honest and not trying to be contentious or argumentative.
They are tools. That is how I see it. I might have a few razors that I would consider part of a collection though.

~doug~

Top Bottom