What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday's shave was much the same. Good.

7-3-20.FOCS.70:30.VitosRed.640JPG.JPG

Same kit.

The 70/30 had mysteriously completely dried. It doesn't always dry this fast. So I used it. It is a very nice brush. The knot is not pretty, but it works well and feels great. It's not yet broken in. It still has some bad scritch, but most of the bad scritch has turned into delicious feeling good scritch.

Same blade, the one named after the hotel in San Francisco, but made in Italy.

Beach (PAA) and Hyaluronic Acid.480.JPG

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I knew a fair amount about Jim Jones but had no mental image of him. Mobs and cults are interesting in some ways but mostly frightening.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My 4th of July shave was good.

7-4-20.FOCS.SOC-Mistura.Vitos.640.JPG

This brush is a lather monster. It's also very soft (on only its 2nd use) the way I use brushes. Semogue did a good job with this one.

I'm still using the same Polsilver blade I've used the last few days.

HyaluronicAcidForFaces.480.jpg

No splash so far.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
On Sunday all's well in my shaves.

7-5-20.FOCS.Chubby2 in Best.VitosRed.640.JPG

Perhaps Western Civilization is going down the tubes, but my shaves are good. I enjoyed using this Chubby 2 in Best Badger and my wonderful Fatip razor. Shout out to Vitos Red, too; Mike @Esox and Joel @Johnnynroy, I noticed no scent today.

PolSilver.SI.Cropped..jpg3-12-20.BayRum & Hyaluronic Acid.480.JPG

Just flipped the same blade. Two of my favorite post shave products. One smells great.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday's shave started the week off right.

7-6-20.Rave'sManchurian.FOCS.Vitos.640.JPG

Same Polsilver blade.

This Zenith Manchurian is a wonderful brush! Shout out to Rave @Raven Koenes and Cal @Cal both of whom are beyond BOSC whatever that means.

What a great scent for a cloudy and overcast summer day.

Happy shaves,

Jim

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Cal, aren’t you and Raven on the same side of the pond? Or are the North Sea and English Channel also a pond?

Raven Koenes

My precious!
What does that mean, Rave? (Road markings [if that's what you're talking about] mean very different things this side of the pond, I think.)
Not the no parking like on your side of the pond. The do not pass double yellow line down the center of the road like over here. I try my best to stay in between the two of them.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim, what is that aftershaves scent like? The Beach. You got it at the Italian Barber?

Well, yes, but...

PAA.Beach@Holden.480.2018 (2).JPG

That's ^ my original bottle...

That's my current bottle.

Italian Barber doesn't have it (at the moment, today; I just looked) but not to worry.

It's made by, or a product of, PAA. Here's a link to the vendor; you'll see there a scent profile...

1594066671599.png

I'm not sure what to make of that ^, but I also don't know exactly how to describe the scent. You should know I'm very unable to communicate anything much about scents, particularly the nuances. It's not that I don't smell things well. Just that descriptions of them seem beyond me.

That said, to me it smells a bit like coconut. It also smells kinda sorta like one might want an ideal and non existent suntan oil or lotion to smell on a hot beach day.

1594067203844.png

Bo Derek?

Gentlemen, that's ^ Bo Derek at 59.

I have another somewhat similar splash which is supposed to remind me of all sorts of great things, and I like it okay, but Bo Derek's The Beach is more to my liking. It's a good bit less strong in a good way, and far more balanced to my nose. As I was remembering the scent, and maybe picking up a little whiff from this morning (but I don't think so), I noticed an ice cream scent - not ice cream truck to me - I think it's a vanilla ice cream. Definitely not just vanilla.

So, that's three or four scents, but I'm sure there are others. I'd say I mostly notice coconut and suntan oil, but it's not too strong in any direction.

The coconut scent remind me of a coconut snowballs if that means anything. I used to make snowballs; a great summer job it was. The video shows the machine and such.

1594068040095.png

Mostly I like it and find it easy to wear and pleasant. I have a couple of unopened bottles which just arrived today so I won't run out anytime soon.

Wish I could help more than just that.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Your father is Alex Van Halen?!
No, but it's a little known fact that everyone who immigrated to the US in the 1950's are related or know eachother. Alex is my cousin, but his brother Eddie is not. Quite remarkably Van Halen and Koenes are pronounced exactly nothing like eachother. Van Halen is pronounced Van Hay-Lynn, Koenes is pronounced Koon-es. Another coincidence is that they do not share the same meaning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom