What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Welcome to the forum. I have been DE shaving for a couple of years now roughly. I have thick hair with sensitive skin and it took a while for me to get the hang of it. I still have some odd days where I don’t get the best shave but I put this down to not preparing well enough or trying to rush.

I have never had a BBS as I can’t get against the grain. Well I can but it really irritates the skin and simply isn’t worth it.

So I usually do two passes, WTG & XTG. However, the shave does not end there. I then use an electric razor for the final pass. Believe it or not this gets me close to a BBS shave. I don’t think you will find anyone else that does this as a final pass but it works for me and leaves my face irritation free.

This method is particularly useful on my neck areas which even gets irritated from a WTG pass.

Just find what works for you and go from there. You seem to be doing well are on the right track.

My neck has never gotten along with any electric razor. Not that I've tried every electric ever made, but I've long ago given up on them.

Yes, what works for you works for you.

My guess? There's somebody else on B&B doing and enjoying whatever you do and enjoy.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday. The week's off to a good start.

5-18-20.FOCS.Chubby2.Vitos.640.JPG

Chubby 2 in Best. Still somewhat pokey, but not bad.

Beach (PAA) and Hyaluronic Acid.480.JPG

Good scent. I way overused the HA, just as an experiment.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Pleased to see you still getting great shaves from your Fatip, Jim. This might be a silly question but have you changed the direction or number of passes compared to when you're shaving with a straight razor?

I should mention that when I say one pass I usually mean one lathered pass. That might actually be many many real passes (properly defined).

Happy shaves,

Jim

I should mention that when I say one pass I usually mean one lathered pass. That might actually be many many real passes (properly defined).

I take it you mean many passes as in many strokes of the razor, literally as in 'passing across the surface of the skin'? I try to shave economically, which is to say, with as few strokes (or passes) as possible, but I've noticed that for my very best shaves, such as my last shave for instance, it's very difficult for me to be sure. If I'm lucky, I'm close to a zen like state of mind and can't really remember exactly what I was doing during the shave, apart from the fact that I know it was very good. If the results are equally good, meaning an even level of closeness, not only has my angle and pressure been right, I suspect a fair bit of overlapping, repeated strokes and instincitve buffing has occurred. But I can't really be certain of any of that. I do know that if I consciously try to use enough pressure and make sure I use enough strokes to get as close as possible I pay for it with irritation or at the very least, miss out on a truly great post shave.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I take it you mean many passes as in many strokes of the razor, literally as in 'passing across the surface of the skin'? I try to shave economically, which is to say, with as few strokes (or passes) as possible, but I've noticed that for my very best shaves, such as my last shave for instance, it's very difficult for me to be sure. If I'm lucky, I'm close to a zen like state of mind and can't really remember exactly what I was doing during the shave, apart from the fact that I know it was very good. If the results are equally good, meaning an even level of closeness, not only has my angle and pressure been right, I suspect a fair bit of overlapping, repeated strokes and instincitve buffing has occurred. But I can't really be certain of any of that. I do know that if I consciously try to use enough pressure and make sure I use enough strokes to get as close as possible I pay for it with irritation or at the very least, miss out on a truly great post shave.

Whatever works as defined by you is the right way.

I'm very much opposed to my skin feeling overdone or irritated or uncomfortable during the shave or immediately post shave or up to the time of the next shave.

Hence: Damn Comfortable Shave!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
One pass strictly defined (according to me & Mike @Esox) means the razor blade crosses each section of skin once and only once.

1589823911837.png

I tend to be quite loose about it and say one pass when I should say one lathered pass. One lathered pass is a huge category meaning as many passes as I want or can stand or am willing to do before I lather up again; it might actually be one pass or it might actually be 30 passes.

1589823998579.png

With some tools I'm more likely to count. Including some double edged tools.

1589824077032.png

She shaves with a chain saw.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Plisson rabbit hole for Rave? (meme).jpg

This is for you, Cal @Cal, but also for Rave.

I can't find the post where you asked about the measurements of this Joris razor's handle but it's measured.
  • The length of the handle is 110 mm.
  • The width at the widest part of the handle is 15 mm.
I'm not sure if that covered all the questions you asked me. If not, ask again, please.

Mrs. Rave? PM her @Raven Koenes, and hope for the best.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday my shave was good, like usual.

5-19-20.FOCS.Vitos.70:30.640.JPG

The 70/30 is stuck in the break in process so I'm still waiting for the prickliness to go away. Still, I do like the knot.

3-12-20.BayRum & Hyaluronic Acid.480.JPG

What a yummy scent.

My skin feels very good.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This is for you, Cal @Cal.

Handle.Joris.Weight.480.JPGWeight.Joris.Handle.480.JPGJoris.Handle.weight.480JPG.JPG

I've added the weight of the Joris razor's handle, kinda sorta.
  • The length of the handle is 110 mm.
  • The width at the widest part of the handle is 15 mm.
  • The handle weighs ~79 grams.
Every time I weighed it the weight was different. Probably the scale doesn't like the shape.

Joris.Razor.weight.640.JPG

Weighed the entire Joris-Plisson Palladium nine toothed razor, too.

Has that covered all the questions you asked me? If not, ask again, please.

Photos are thumbnails which can be enlarged.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday's shave was good, as usual.

5-20-20.Chubby2.FOCS.Vitos.640.JPG

Just pushing the tips into my face, lightly, this brush remains prickly. However, I tend to mash it enough to splay the brush some or I tend to paint with it. Used either of these two ways the brush is plenty soft.

I'm pretty pleased with this Chubby 2 in Best Badger. I got a good deal on it. It was brand new but sold second hand by a member who had, I believe, been sent the wrong item. I know some Chubby 2 brushes in Best are shedders. Others are what some call scritchy, meaning what I call bad scritch I think. I wouldn't say this one doesn't have some scritch but it is not a big deal + I think it will dissipate over time as the brush breaks in more + I don't care if it doesn't get softer because I like it like it is (although softer tips would still be better).

Besides all that, the brush is definitely not a shedder. Yeah, it has lost a few hairs but only a few. About as many as pretty much all brushes I've used which is to say not many at all. I have brushes which have lost a good many more which I don't consider shedders.

1589999540245.png

Good kit today.

888&HyaluronicAcid.480.2-8-20.JPG

Light but very nice splash this 888 is. I like using it occasionally. It feels very nice.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thank you, Jim. :001_smile

:letterk1: Sheesh! That's some heavyweight vaulting pole.
Is that the reason you only used it twice with the Fabulous Fatip slant head?

No. I actually liked using it just fine with the slant.

Mostly I was using it to satisfy the itch and join the HSS.

There really is not a double edged razor I want or am likely to buy unless Joris makes this one in a slant with eleven teeth and a handle and finish which appeals to me.

On the other hand, I'm fine with the FOCS as designed and made by our Italian friends. It's perfect.

You're welcome, Cal. Sorry I took so long to accomplish this task and answer your questions.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Reactions: Cal
Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers,
Just a quick thank you.

The Fatip Lo Storto Gentile at a steep angle is amazingly smooth, gentle, and efficient. My shaves have rarely been as good as my last two (two in a row!!!). One weeper today that was my fault. And only that one. I rarely finish with less than 2, so this was a banner shave. There is a significant differential between the left and right edge of the blade, which (when combined with overshaving) is what led to my one weeper. But the efficiency and smoothness was incredible. I wouldn't have tried it steep had you not mentioned that.

So: thank you my friend for that piece of advice. Greatly appreciated.

Keep enjoying your shaves! I'm going to keep enjoying mine.

Joel

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers,
Just a quick thank you.

The Fatip Lo Storto Gentile at a steep angle is amazingly smooth, gentle, and efficient. My shaves have rarely been as good as my last two (two in a row!!!). One weeper today that was my fault. And only that one. I rarely finish with less than 2, so this was a banner shave. There is a significant differential between the left and right edge of the blade, which (when combined with overshaving) is what led to my one weeper. But the efficiency and smoothness was incredible. I wouldn't have tried it steep had you not mentioned that.

So: thank you my friend for that piece of advice. Greatly appreciated.

Keep enjoying your shaves! I'm going to keep enjoying mine.

Joel

Glad it worked for you, my friend.

Top Bottom