What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Today I'm using the same kit as Tuesday.

5-19-20.FOCS.Vitos.70:30.640.JPG

Same photo. Same good results.

3-12-20.BayRum & Hyaluronic Acid.480.JPG

Good skin & scent.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The Fatip Lo Storto Gentile at a steep angle is amazingly smooth, gentle, and efficient. My shaves have rarely been as good as my last two (two in a row!!!). One weeper today that was my fault. And only that one. I rarely finish with less than 2, so this was a banner shave. There is a significant differential between the left and right edge of the blade, which (when combined with overshaving) is what led to my one weeper. But the efficiency and smoothness was incredible. I wouldn't have tried it steep had you not mentioned that.

Thats high praise from you Joel.

I'll have to look around and see if there any gold ones about yet.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday's shave was lazy.

5-23-20.Vitos.70:30.FOCS.640JPG.JPG

I took no shower but just washed my face. Maybe a shower later, but for now a good shave.

Nothing new to report about the kit. I did something a bit new in that I've not bloomed the soap (this soap) before. Neither added nor subtracted from anything.

Beach (PAA) and Hyaluronic Acid.480.JPG

I'm having fun learning and maybe breaking in the two brushes I'm alternating - the beehive Maggard in 70/30 and the Chubby 2 in Best Badger - interesting knots.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Welcome!! Absolutely nothing wrong with a DFS (Dam fine shave). I think a lot of new DE shavers spend to much time chasing that BBS shave and inadvertently give themselves razor burn and/or irritation.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
2020 Memorial Day. The shave was good. Plus it was a treat.

2020MemorialDay.Kit.640.70:30.DB.FOCSJPG.JPG

I've mentioned before what a wonderful scent Frank Lipani created when he came up with the Dragonsbeard scent.

Unfortunately the bottle below has only a few drops left (but it's not empty). The photo is old.

Dragonsbeard.SkinFood.Splash.HyaluronicAcid.480.JPG

All things considered I began today's shave in scent heaven and I'm still there.

Today's shave was the 13th use of the 70/30 Maggard knot in the beehive handle!

[I'm keeping up with how long it takes to break in.]

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
How long will this two brush rotation last?

5-25-20.Chubby2-in Best & Maggard 70:30.640.JPG

Having fun with these. Learning a lot with 'em. Trying to "break them in." Enjoying the whole nine yards.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I'm a wet shaver. In other words, I've been shaving with a Gillette Fusion, and real shaving creams, and sometimes brushes for many years (well, decades if I include other iterations of Gillette's "modern" razors with multiple blades).

My shaving career began before these razors were invented, so I, like just about everyone back in 1960 began shaving with a Gillette twist to open double edge. I cut myself all the time, and was a lot better at shaving with razors like the Fusion.

Like most people, I've tried everything, and like most people, most everything works okay or great on my face, and is lousy on my neck. The best of my neck shaves have been with the Gillette Fusion.

Through reading this forum and lots of other online material I decided to give double edged razors another try. Why? Frankly I'm not sure. Certainly it is not about the expense of the Fusion blade systems because I can use one for weeks or even months. Yeah, it will tug a bit, but it still shaves well, and doesn't irritate my sensitive neck. Maybe the DE just seems cool, and traditional, and has the promise of delivering a shave which is both BBS and comfortable.

Back in the day I used to occasionally get a real barber shop shave by a real, old time, experienced, skilled barber. Those were the shaves I dreamed of, and hoped to replicate at home with a double edged razor.

BBS sounds great, and why shouldn't it, but a damn comfortable, and pretty good shave would have to come first, and be a development milestone, and be a higher priority item. After all, who cares how you look if you're hurting, and miserable?

Old timers are going to kick me here because I don't follow every direction worth a hoot, and am prone to change variables. I don't do this professionally (being scientific in my approach), but this isn't rocket science, and I can do as I like (and suffer the consequences).

Today I got what I would consider a still not perfect but close to it damn comfortable shave. I changed several variables. I took a shower first, but I still did a hot to warm towel over first lather pre-shave preparation. I used a new and different brush, a RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic instead of my Semoque SOC boar. I didn't change soaps, but used, other than the towel soak, cold water, and cold lather.

My razor is a Feather AS-D2. I changed today to a different blade. Instead of a Feather I used a Personna med blade (marked "for hospital use").

Yeah, I know this is not the way anyone should do things especially not a newbie like me, but, shoot me, I'm just reporting.

My goal this morning was not to get a good, close shave, but to get a comfortable shave. I can't say the shave is the most comfortable I've ever gotten. It certainly is not as comfortable as most shaves I got with the Fusion. However, it is the most comfortable shave I've gotten with a double edged razor.

I did only only pass with a little touch up on my chin. Still, my shave is pretty good, certainly socially acceptable, and, frankly, closer than I would have expected with one pass.

What was the difference? Was it the cold shave? Was it the blade? There's no way to be sure, but it still pleases me very much to know that a damn comfortable double edged shave is possible. I suspect it will get better as I become more experienced, and listen to my face, and learn to shave better.

Oh, I bought some Dickinson's witch hazel yesterday.
Chan Eil Whiskers, one time.. I heard from a friend of mine that Feather AS-D2 is often termed as Modern Rolls Royce of Safety Razor.. I know that sounds lame.. I looked it on internet and the price it holds gave me some real amount of goosebumps for moments. Forged in Japan with SS. And Japanese are masters with their SS quality.. I heard this razor is mild for the shave it provides but is really unapologetic for the work it does.
Anyways. Whatever problems you are facing currently may get subsided upon more improvement and honing of skills. I myself is shaving with DE razor for last 3 years, though with a very cheap 7'o clock and recently got transitioned to Pink Woolf's Open Comb. But there do is a learning curve for all and it's different for every individual out there. Trust your timing.. you'll get get through nicks and cuts and irritation to BBS.

Happy Shaving.. :straight:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Chan Eil Whiskers, one time.. I heard from a friend of mine that Feather AS-D2 is often termed as Modern Rolls Royce of Safety Razor.. I know that sounds lame.. I looked it on internet and the price it holds gave me some real amount of goosebumps for moments. Forged in Japan with SS. And Japanese are masters with their SS quality.. I heard this razor is mild for the shave it provides but is really unapologetic for the work it does.
Anyways. Whatever problems you are facing currently may get subsided upon more improvement and honing of skills. I myself is shaving with DE razor for last 3 years, though with a very cheap 7'o clock and recently got transitioned to Pink Woolf's Open Comb. But there do is a learning curve for all and it's different for every individual out there. Trust your timing.. you'll get get through nicks and cuts and irritation to BBS.

Happy Shaving.. :straight:

The AS-D2 works great for some people. Not me.

In my opinion the AS-D2 works way way better with a Feather blade. Surprise! It's as if they were designed around each other.

While I get shaves which initially seem great with the Feather blades I always find myself not liking the (lack of) comfort later.

It's absolutely a beautifully engineered, designed, and implemented tool.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Once again another good Tuesday shave, although it feels like Monday.

5-26-20.Chubby2. Best.FOCS.VitosRed.640.JPG

If it looks like a big knot that's because it is. Not too big of course but big.

In terms of performance this is a very big kit!

Beach (PAA) and Hyaluronic Acid.480.JPG

Including the software.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday's shave was late but good.

5-27-20.Vitos.70:30.FOCS.640.JPG

• Vitos Red
  • Maggard 70/30
  • Fatip Open Comb Slant
  • Polsilver
  • Hyaluronic Acid
No splash. Yet.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday's shave was good, but aren't they all?

I like this Chubby 2 in Best Badger. It's a very interesting and good knot.

5-28-20.chubby2.focs.vitos.640.JPGBeach (PAA) and Hyaluronic Acid.480.JPG

Enlarge the thumbnails by clicking on them if you want.

My kit is an excellent kit if you like the scent of the Beach. I don't think any aspect of it can be surpassed. Of course we're all different. You might not like my brush but I surely do.

Hard to complain when one's shave is this good.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Top Bottom