What's new

Daily Razor Cleaning

I recently started using Clean Shower on my razor. After the shave, I partially unscrew the cap and spray Clean Shower on and into the razor head. Covering the blade and the lather channels. Later in the day or before the next shave, I take the razor apart to rinse and dry. It seems to keep the metal free of soap scum.

Clean_Shower.jpg

What is your method of cleaning soap residue from a razor you use every day?

Do you let it build up and finally hit with Scrubbin' Bubbles? Or is rubbing alcohol the best thing to use?

I have searched for this on the forum and not found anything.
Ive give mine a quick 10 second soak in alcohol and every time I change the blade I give it a good scrubdown with a tooth brush and some dish soap.

I take apart my razor after every shave and clean it that way. That is, after I shave, I'll first rinse out the razor under the tap to remove cut hairs and soap. I'll then disassemble the razor and wipe each part of it down with a bath towel. Finally, I'll lay out the parts on a microfiber towel to air dry any water that wasn't cleaned off by the towel. (Of course, after the razor's fully dry, I'll reassemble it and return it to my brush and razor stand.)

Also, once a month, I'll soak the (disassembled) razor head (and the top of the razor handle) in some rubbing alcohol.

My method has prevented the buildup of any noticeable residue on my Fatip Grande.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I tend to rinse my razors and break down my 3 pc razors & tap dry blade on towel & store blade + towel dry razor and Q tip some hard reach areas and then into racks for next large razor rotation I have. Takes about 2 minutes at most for a quick clean and when razor has been used a lot over the year it will get a tooth brush cleaning with some liquid dish soap or liquid hand soap.
When I use to buy vintage razors a lot they would receive a better cleaning with some hot water with some glass top cleaning and dish soap and some times that was not enough if prior owner used pre shave oils that where hard to remove that substance it seemed to me.
If a person has a gold coated razor just use dish soap and soak for a while and then use a tooth brush to scrub, I used some Weiman on a gold coated razor and it will wash off some of the gold it seems.
If you can not remove some patina you do not like on a brass razor I like to use Weiman glass cook top cleaner, it will remove the patina and cleans surface as well. Weiman also makes brass cleaner products & their glass cook top will clean brass also.
(Old archived photo)
razor cleaner.jpg

Have some great shaves!

After looking at the pictures of my razor I think there are probably some hygiene issues to worry about. I change my blade every 2 weeks so the next time I do I will be trying out a vinegar soak. Don't really care about the look but do want to be safe.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
What is your method of cleaning soap residue from a razor you use every day?

Do you let it build up and finally hit with Scrubbin' Bubbles? Or is rubbing alcohol the best thing to use?

I have searched for this on the forum and not found anything.
I used my first DE razor for many years and I don’t recall ever cleaning it beyond rinsing when done.

Top Bottom