What's new

dad found his Dad's (Papa's) Razor

I dont have pics, as this straight is at home in Massachusetts...

its box is marked JR Torrey Company Worcester, Mass. 0146

dad says it looks good, one flea bite and some tarnish, I hope to get it from him in the next few months,

but what can I tell him about it in the mean time?

scott

Tell him thanks, and that it will be revered & used often!
Then restore it & build a custom display box...
Then shave with it weekly!

when i get it i will inquire with you fine folks on how to get it restored, then will consider putting it to my face ( i have never used a straight before)

when i get it i will inquire with you fine folks on how to get it restored, then will consider putting it to my face ( i have never used a straight before)

get it honed by a pro
if i were you ide pick up the whipped dog poormans kit to get you started to get your technique down pat incase you drop the razor or anything like that
just my 2 cents

I finally got the razor in my hands after all this time and snapped a quick pic...

seems to be in good if not great shape...I'll let you guys judge...I can try to snap a few more picks..the scales are completely intact, there is a little discoloration on the opposite side...

who should I contact about getting this cleaned up and honed...?

I have a Torrey 0146 too...they are wonderful shavers, so I would definitely get it cleaned up & honed...I think you'll enjoy it!!

You are a fortunate guy. Agree about having someone who knows what he's doing hone it for you. I'd buy an inexpensive razor to practice keeping it sharp. Congrat on having the reminder of your grandad.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
www.whippeddog.com for a second straight to make your newbie mistakes on. Send the Torrey out to a pro for honing. Actually, Larry hones for a reasonable price if nobody else offers to do it.

All Torreys are great razors if you find them in decent condition. Yours looks great. Even the coffin looks pretty decent. No need to do a full restore IMHO... just get it honed and use it like it was intended, as a supremely effective tool for removing whiskers. I wouldn't try to make jewelry out of it. Shave with it. If you take care of it your own grandson can shave with it some day. I think that would be a better legacy than dressing it up.

The blade looks good.
Are the scale plastic or horn. You had mentioned a flea bite, which point to horn and in this case, that baby is good to go, for a couple more generation. Just get it honed.

By the way, how come it took over a year to get you hands on it?

Never had a bad experience with a well honed Torrey. A very under rated razor.

+1. I love mine! I like to build these razors simply because of the history. When I do one for a grandson my heart is in a different place. I speak from personal experience.
Cool find. That's a treasure for no other reason.

Congrats on that find. I am from the Worcester area and although I don't use straights (long story about unsteady hands), I have an affinity for Torrey razors as my father had family that worked at the factory. Always nice to find some old equipment with sentimental value.

The blade looks good.
Are the scale plastic or horn. You had mentioned a flea bite, which point to horn and in this case, that baby is good to go, for a couple more generation. Just get it honed.

By the way, how come it took over a year to get you hands on it?

I think the scales are plastic...quite possible I am using the wrong term for the blemish i see, it is however above the blade edge which I assume is a good thing...if I can get another pic I will try...

I know my Grandfather owned this, but not sure he ever used it...my Dad doesnt reacall if he ever used a straight...all I remember is he used cheapo Bic disposables in the late 70s-early 80s...my Dad says he himself was the one fascinated with every new Gillette he saw advertised on the sports shows he watched...and said he insisted that his father get him the latest and greatest...too bad the only one that survived was the slim.

@totorlekiller...short story, but basically Dad and I spoke of this, and then we kept forgetting about it when we got together...finally on thanksgiving he handed me this and a Meerschaum (of which I posted about on another thread here)...

Top Bottom