What's new

D.F.S. vs. B.B.S.

3 pass shave here. 2 WTG 1 ATG. Whatever happens, happens. Sometimes it is BBS sometimes it is DFS but it is always comfortable.

3 Pass shave. Normally I get BBS; when I don't I won't chase it. I used to (and I guess I do rarely), but the irritation a few hours later isn't worth it. If I get it with minimal cleanup, great; if not, no complaints.

I do full WTG (N-S) and ATG (S-N), and on my neck I also do XTG (E-W) as best as I can with a straight. There's a patch on the right side of my neck that never can get to BBS, doesn't matter if I use a cart, DE, straight or shavette. Hair grows so flat there, and I have tried every angle possible.

I've learned to be happy with a mix of BBS (on my cheeks) and DFS (under nose, along jawline and on lower neck). I do WTG first pass, second pass XTG E-W and WTG again on neck, third "mini pass" is XTG W-E just on jawline and chin, final pass is ATG. Took almost two years to dial in the routine that works best for me.

I like the chase for the BBS, but don't enjoy the irritation that often comes with it, depending on the soap the blade and razor most of the time I seek at least a DFS+

I chase the BBS. Most of the time my cheeks and head are BBS with absolutely no irritation. I have issues with my neck and the back of my head where my skull kind of bulges out. Sometimes I get those, but I don't push those areas.

I go for a DFS on every shave. If a BBS happens to present itself, so much the better, but really, the only one who knows you've got a BBS is going to be yourself. That being so, over shaving to try for the allusive BBS is not worth the effort and the resulting irritation, nicks, etc. etc. And that's IMHO. :001_rolle :thumbdown

There seems to be some subjectivity here as I am not sure there is consensus of what these terms mean as related to something that can be objectively measured. That said, based on the description in the Wiki, I get a consistent DFS with two WTGs and an XTG. I would have to quit my job to get BBS and would probably also have to sacrifice a layer of skin.

These days 3 passes gets me BBS 3 or 4 days each week; other days I am at least DFS. Worth the effort for me!

A Damn Fine Shave for me is a shave that was very pleasant, comfortable, rewarding of sorts. The result of this DFS may or may not be a BBS face. Therefore I aim for DFS, as it's a metric of enjoyment and that's the reason I shave with slants and straights: it's way more fun than shaving with cartridges ever was.
These days, I can handle my equipment well enough that most shaves I get a BBS over most of my face without irritation, chasing the BBS however will get me red spots on the throat-area. Chasing BBS therefore reduces the DFSness of the shave.

Three passes, the last one just my tricky neck whiskers, and I always get a DFS. Once in a way, I get a BBS; depends on the prep, soap, blade, and technique all lining up. Nice feeling, but I don't consciously try for it.

I have very dark hair and unfortunately, anything but a bbs looks like a 5 O'clock shadow to me. That said, I can usually get to a bbs in most places in 4 passes without irritation that lingers past the cold water splash.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I get a BBS almost every day. I do a 4 pass shave and the only area I may not get BBS is my mustache area.

+1 I do a 3 pass and then a clean up which counts as 4, Every Day BBS and sometimes BTBBS:thumbup: No irritation, no burn ,nothing .
I'm blessed with supper Face Skin:w00t: PREP it up

Top Bottom