What's new

Custom Scales

Certainly lots of potential for interesting scales...just depends on how thick you want the scales to be....

I have tried the following that could give you a few ideas

money - i.e bills/coinage/chips encapsulated in ashtrays for a poker den
flowers/ petals - in a chair
coke cans - crushed up in a table top. Pieces of can from your'e favourite beverage?

Here is a dull video to show the process http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0Wp9CmSKFY

You can colour this stuff and add metal powders like a custom paint job if you want to provide some iridescence and so on...anyway it's up to Ambrose if its for him to run with.

Last edited:
The barbed wire would be bad *** for sure. I would think that regular barbed wire would be too thick, maybe you could find a smaller gauge of barbed wire. I think that rusty wire would be more striking.

One material I've never seen on a straight razor is amber (apart from the occasional wedge). From what I've heard, it's relatively easy to work with in terms of shaping, polishing, etc. I think the trick would be the architecture underneath it -- something with enough perforation to allow light to pass through.

- M.

I mucked about with clear cast resin once...encapsulating things. What would you want encapsulated in straight razor handle, chopped up DE blades???

Maybe not chopped up DE blades, but an encapsulated straight blade has the potential to be PDS (pretty darn sweet).

One material I've never seen on a straight razor is amber (apart from the occasional wedge). From what I've heard, it's relatively easy to work with in terms of shaping, polishing, etc. I think the trick would be the architecture underneath it -- something with enough perforation to allow light to pass through.

- M.

Isn't that stuff more of a mineral? There is a reason we don't see scales made from minerals. Scales work best when they have some flex to them.

No, it's not actually a mineral -- it's organic (fossilized tree resin, to be precise), and noted for its softness and fluidity in the hands of a jewelry-maker. As it is a resin, it has some of the same qualities that synthetic resins possess. I've spoken to a few custom razor gurus about this long-standing project of mine, and most have been intrigued, but working with the material has been outside their wheelhouse, so I'm still on the lookout for just the right technician who could tackle the job.

Hey guys just an update, I will have 5 sets of blonde horn late next week, along with about 15 sets of black horn. You can contact me if your interested.

Hey guys just an update, I will have 5 sets of blonde horn late next week, along with about 15 sets of black horn. You can contact me if your interested.

Can you or will you be posting photos?

Did you ever do any scales in that red paua? Photos please? I assume you have pinning supplies, etc., now.

Does amber really come in sheets suitable for scales? Amber would be potentially interesting because it can have 25 million insects and air bubbles and plant matter in it. You are talking about something that is treated as a semi-precious stone though, although I know that the Czar had the famous amber room. No one knows what happened to that so maybe there is an excellent stash of sheet amber around somewhere.

I am waiting on the blade for the red paua. I will be posting pics of the black horn as soon as I can. I do have a pic of some unfinished blonde horn Im working with for a members razor. It will be pinned in silver, with the translucent horn wedge.

You never cease to amaze me, Ambrose. I was thinking I would have no interest in horn, particularly blonde horn, but that is beautiful. It really has an amazing amount of character, doesn't it. I really like the proportion of the scales to that blade, too. How wide is that blade, do you think?

Tell me more about this horn. I take it this comes from a real animal of some sort? If not, some is really doing a quality job! Water buffalo?

Yipee ki-yay. I can't wait to squeegee lather with it.

The blade is a 11/16 Frederick Reynolds.

Last edited:
I am waiting on the blade for the red paua. I will be posting pics of the black horn as soon as I can. I do have a pic of some unfinished blonde horn Im working with for a members razor. It will be pinned in silver, with the translucent horn wedge.

Okay, that makes me want to go straight for the first time.... Razor that is! That's gorgeous!

What an interesting piece of blonde horn. Wonder if that was considered 2nd rate or top rate back in the day. Don't see that pattern on vintage horn scales.

What an interesting piece of blonde horn. Wonder if that was considered 2nd rate or top rate back in the day. Don't see that pattern on vintage horn scales.

Top rate or not, I'm going to say the reason they don't show up is because every single one was taken to the grave by their owners. :laugh:

Most horn in days of yore were made by boiling which seems to sap most of the coloring out of the horn. I have some that I am working on as well (boiling and plate pressing method).

The coloring on these are definitely one of a kind. Nice work Ambrose!

I got a Friodur 7/8 here with warped scales that I'd like to put in some fancy wooden scales. Dunno if I can afford it (no work atm, and my savings just went into a Nakayama - job interview this monday tho.)

After I bought a dovo with bubinga scales from Seraphim, I found out that wooden scales are pretty neat :)

I need some custom scales. I am not too concerned about material. I might need 8 pairs so I am concerned about keeping the price down.

I sent you a PM about black horn. Please give me any information I'd need.

Top Bottom